News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

My brother-in-law is 1/32 Indian. Which is apparently enough to get free health care.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

I'm like 1/32 French.  Wonder what that gets me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

That's about my case too. I also get Free Health Care.

To both Teach & Der claims!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on November 29, 2017, 10:58:47 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2017, 10:35:27 AM
Do you really get diversity points for hiring random Americans claiming Native American heritage? Because that is like half the country.

only in the south where they're rather have native blood than black, right?

Tons of black people also claim they have native blood, though very few do. It is kind of a weird national obsession.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 29, 2017, 08:55:39 AM
Yeah, it seems pretty obvious that Warren claimed Native American ancestry to pad her resume with some diversity while looking for work.

As far as I know that didn't happen.  There is no evidence she used such a claim to get a faculty appointment or that such claims were ever considered or even known by the faculty appointment committees.

Back in the 90s when this all went down, Warren was a big academic star.  She was a huge name in commercial law and bankruptcy.  She didn't need to sweat around looking for work, law schools were trampling each other to recuit her.  I recall hearing about her back then, both in the context of being a leading prof in the field, and one of the top women law professors in the country.  I never heard about the NA connection until 2012.

My suspicion is that the story here is backwards.  Warren wasn't pushing a NA connection to get tenured positions at Penn and Harvard.  Rather the unis were "encouraging" their faculty to play up any minority connection to get their own numbers up.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2017, 11:20:25 AM
Do you really get diversity points for hiring random Americans claiming Native American heritage? Because that is like half the country.

Tons of black people also claim they have native blood, though very few do. It is kind of a weird national obsession.

I'm not sure if I know any black people who have made that claim.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2017, 11:36:16 AM

Well that is what Henry Louis Gates Jr told me on his show.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

It is kind of a weird national obsession.
I've noticed this. It's almost always Cherokee, sometimes Sioux or Blackfoot.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2017, 11:36:16 AM

Several folks I know claim that.  But there's a good chance I know more black people than you do.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2017, 11:34:16 AM
Yeah, it seems pretty obvious that Warren claimed Native American ancestry to pad her resume with some diversity while looking for work.

As far as I know that didn't happen.  There is no evidence she used such a claim to get a faculty appointment or that such claims were ever considered or even known by the faculty appointment committees.

Back in the 90s when this all went down, Warren was a big academic star.  She was a huge name in commercial law and bankruptcy.  She didn't need to sweat around looking for work, law schools were trampling each other to recuit her.  I recall hearing about her back then, both in the context of being a leading prof in the field, and one of the top women law professors in the country.  I never heard about the NA connection until 2012.

My suspicion is that the story here is backwards.  Warren wasn't pushing a NA connection to get tenured positions at Penn and Harvard.  Rather the unis were "encouraging" their faculty to play up any minority connection to get their own numbers up.

Huh, I hadn't considered that, but it makes sense. I feel better about my high-cheekboned senator now.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

celedhring

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2017, 11:34:16 AM

I remember how Columbia wrote me down as Hispanic to boost their TA diversity quotas, even though since I'm a foreigner I'm not sure I should have qualified...

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2017, 11:01:46 AM

If you're not at all desperate enough, hell yeah.

Fixed that for you.  The desperate hire for immediate effect, not for appearances or the long-term benefits of diversity.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

There's a small irony here in that academically Warren is perhaps best known for consistent championing of Chapter 11 of the bankruptcy code, which permits failing business to reorganize as a going concern.  Reorgs have often been criticized for inefficiency and moral hazard ("rewarding failure") but Warren pointed out the broader policy justifications for the process. 

Over the past few decades one would be hard pressed to come up with an individual who has extracted greater benefit from the more permissive business insolvency regime Warren defended than Donald Trump.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

So I had someone summarize the GOP tax plan to say that the US will see a big drop in both personal and corporate taxes next year (so it's "good for everyone" in 2018). Corporate tax rates will continue to decrease and stay low until 2028, but personal tax rates will increase significantly again after 2018 to offset the corporate tax cut (so the cut is "deficit neutral").

Is that accurate?

Jacob

Argument: white evangelical Christians - and people in general - pick their faith based on their political beliefs rather than vice versa.

http://sturothenberg.com/2017/11/28/why-evangelicals-stick-with-donald-trump-roy-moore/