News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

As to the 2018 effect, it's close to being the truth although some categories of tax payers will receive immediate tax increases.
The deficit neutrality claim is a farce.  Deficit neutrality is achieved only by 2028, by simply sunsetting the entire thing.  No one actually believes that will actually happen, however.  It's just a formal legal fiction to get around Senate rules.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2017, 11:34:16 AM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 29, 2017, 08:55:39 AM
Yeah, it seems pretty obvious that Warren claimed Native American ancestry to pad her resume with some diversity while looking for work.

As far as I know that didn't happen.  There is no evidence she used such a claim to get a faculty appointment or that such claims were ever considered or even known by the faculty appointment committees.

Back in the 90s when this all went down, Warren was a big academic star.  She was a huge name in commercial law and bankruptcy.  She didn't need to sweat around looking for work, law schools were trampling each other to recuit her.  I recall hearing about her back then, both in the context of being a leading prof in the field, and one of the top women law professors in the country.  I never heard about the NA connection until 2012.

My suspicion is that the story here is backwards.  Warren wasn't pushing a NA connection to get tenured positions at Penn and Harvard.  Rather the unis were "encouraging" their faculty to play up any minority connection to get their own numbers up.

But see, it's so much more important to bash this nosy commiecunt than the asshole that completely insulted the volunteer Navajo solders that fought Imperial Japan.  To go through all that bullshit in the Pacific, just to meet that asshole and be insulted in person in front of a portrait of Andrew Jackson.  Thank you for your service, prairie niggers.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2017, 11:39:11 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2017, 11:36:16 AM
I'm not sure if I know any black people who have made that claim.

Several folks I know claim that.  But there's a good chance I know more black people than you do.

We know you're certainly not going to let those niggers pull the cloth over your eyes, though. Especially since you have two eye holes cut in it already.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2017, 01:36:15 PM
But see, it's so much more important to bash this nosy commiecunt than the asshole that completely insulted the volunteer Navajo solders that fought Imperial Japan.  To go through all that bullshit in the Pacific, just to meet that asshole and be insulted in person in front of a portrait of Andrew Jackson.  Thank you for your service, prairie niggers.

Right that's the important point.  It shows the degeneration of the right when folks come out of the woodwork with 5 year old Elizabeth Warren talking points in the face of the jaw dropping spectacle of a US president causing insult to WW2 vets in an event designed to honor them.  Warren has nothing to do with it.

We know Trump is incapable of running the Executive Branch in a professional manner.  We know he lacks any understanding of the rule of law.  We know he can't handle normal diplomatic protocols and is mocked and condescended to by world leaders.  We know he is incapable of either developing a legislative agenda from the WH, or developing a functional relationship with his own party in Congress.

But one would hope that he would at least be capable of handling all the trivial meet and greet functions the President has to do.  Talking to school kids.  Hooray for apple pie day.  And honoring veterans.   Any vaguely functioning adult should be able to handle that.  You show up, shake hands, read a script, say "thank you for your service."  Done.

He can't even handle that.  Tillerson is right.  He really is just an f-ing moron.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2017, 01:54:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2017, 01:36:15 PM

Right that's the important point.  It shows the degeneration of the right when folks come out of the woodwork with 5 year old Elizabeth Warren talking points in the face of the jaw dropping spectacle of a US president causing insult to WW2 vets in an event designed to honor them.  Warren has nothing to do with it.

We know Trump is incapable of running the Executive Branch in a professional manner.  We know he lacks any understanding of the rule of law.  We know he can't handle normal diplomatic protocols and is mocked and condescended to by world leaders.  We know he is incapable of either developing a legislative agenda from the WH, or developing a functional relationship with his own party in Congress.

But one would hope that he would at least be capable of handling all the trivial meet and greet functions the President has to do.  Talking to school kids.  Hooray for apple pie day.  And honoring veterans.   Any vaguely functioning adult should be able to handle that.  You show up, shake hands, read a script, say "thank you for your service."  Done.

He can't even handle that.  Tillerson is right.  He really is just an f-ing moron.

It is worse than that - I'm convinced he did it deliberately.

Why?

Because an event honoring WW2 vets is, ultimately, about them. The presence of the President is there to add honor and dignity to the vets being honored. Just as you say, the speech given by the President is, typically (unless he's a great orator), instantly forgettable and interchangeable with all the other similar speeches.

Trump appears to be simply unable to have an occasion being "about" someone else. So what if they are WW2 vets. Fuck them if they take attention away from him. Let's make this whole occasion be about Trump. Rile the press some, grab some headlines, piss on some political rivals, all in the bargain.

Those old vets being "honored" just provide another platform for the neverending Trump circus.

It's not incompetence - it's active malice.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on November 29, 2017, 02:06:24 PM

It is worse than that - I'm convinced he did it deliberately.

Why?

Because an event honoring WW2 vets is, ultimately, about them. The presence of the President is there to add honor and dignity to the vets being honored. Just as you say, the speech given by the President is, typically (unless he's a great orator), instantly forgettable and interchangeable with all the other similar speeches.

Trump appears to be simply unable to have an occasion being "about" someone else. So what if they are WW2 vets. Fuck them if they take attention away from him. Let's make this whole occasion be about Trump. Rile the press some, grab some headlines, piss on some political rivals, all in the bargain.

Those old vets being "honored" just provide another platform for the neverending Trump circus.

It's not incompetence - it's active malice.

What convinced you?  The fact that he actually Just flat out told them?

QuotePeter MacDonald, one of those survivors and a former chairman of the Navajo Nation, gave a speech describing his and his friends' service and the losses their unit and the American forces incurred.

When he was done, Trump took the microphone.

"That was so incredible, and now I don't have to make my speech," Trump said. "I had the most beautiful speech written out. I was so proud of it." Instead, he closed the binder containing his speech and handed it to MacDonald. "I know you like me," Trump added, "so I know you'll save it."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2017, 03:00:37 PM
Latest couple of Alabama polls (done since Thanksgiving) have Moore up by 5 or 6 points.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2017/senate/al/alabama_senate_special_election_moore_vs_jones-6271.html

Like I said, this man will be the junior Senator from Alabama and then President of the United States
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

And 11B's favorite person is going to make all the white junkies can breathe a sigh of relief now.

QuoteDailyIntelligencer
Kellyanne Conway Is Now America's 'Opioid Czar'
By
Eric Levitz
November 29, 2017 6:21 pm

In 2016, 50,000 Americans lost their lives to the opioid epidemic, according to the federal government's preliminary count. That's more than the number of Americans killed in combat in Vietnam, or that died during the worst year of the AIDS crisis, or that die annually from car accidents or gun violence.

In response to this mass death, public-health advocates have implored the Trump administration to mount a more comprehensive effort to the opioid crisis. One of their proposals was for the president to appoint an opioid "czar" — an official with the time and expertise to coordinate the federal government's response to the worst drug-overdose epidemic in American history.

The administration has decided to honor this request. In a gesture meant to convey just how seriously President Trump takes his responsibility to combat the opioid emergency, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced on Wednesday the appointment of America's first opioid czar — Kellyanne Conway.

Conway is a career pollster and pundit, best known for managing Donald Trump's presidential campaign and telling brazen lies on cable news. She has no experience in public health. And it is not immediately clear whether she will be abandoning her surrogate duties to devote herself to her new assignment.

Andrew Kolodny, an opioid policy expert at Brandeis University, told BuzzFeed News that he sees Conway's appointment as a "positive sign," since "she is a high-profile figure in the administration." But Kolodny — and other opioid policy experts and stakeholders — were quick to note that Trump still hasn't appointed anyone to lead the Office of National Drug Control Policy. Which seems like something an administration that cared deeply about reducing the suffering caused by this epidemic would have bothered to do.

Last month, Trump declared the opioid crisis a public-health emergency — while declining to call for a single dollar in additional funds to combat the crisis. Meanwhile, the president and his party spent most of this year trying to slash Medicaid spending by $1 trillion, even though that program is one the top funders of addiction treatment in the United States.

frunk

QuoteAndrew Kolodny, an opioid policy expert at Brandeis University, told BuzzFeed News that he sees Conway's appointment as a "positive sign," since "she is a high-profile figure in the administration."

I'm not sure Kolodny realizes how much better it is to be off the radar of this Administration.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Might as well use those right wing propaganda powers for good instead of evil.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

I don't understand why the entire West Wing just doesn't shave their heads and wear orange liner bomber jackets and high cuffed jeans over their 10-eye greasies.  ROMPER ROOM STOMPER

grumbler

I don't know what everyone is so upset about.  If Conway can just convince opiods to no longer be addictive, the crisis will be solved.  She's a PR person, so perfect for the job.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!