And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 15, 2017, 09:06:44 AM
Quote from: mongers on August 15, 2017, 07:20:08 AM
I always preferred albums, but I think that's going too far.

Spinal Tap's Smell the Glove it isn't.

:D

Did they ever release that or was it only in the movie?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Oexmelin

Why the hell are communists part of a current conversation? Why would people insist, now, today, in drawing these equivalencies?
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 15, 2017, 09:11:53 AM
Why the hell are communists part of a current conversation? Why would people insist, now, today, in drawing these equivalencies?

Because nobody wants to be seen as rooting for the bad guys.  Not even niggerhating Klan sympathizers.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 15, 2017, 08:22:38 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 15, 2017, 08:05:16 AM
Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2017, 02:06:02 AM
I don't think Communists are relevant in the US or Canada
they're very relevant in Canada.

Can hardly move up here without tripping over a commissar or a gulag.  :(

;)
wait until Québec Solidaire or the NDP takes power.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

So, back on topic.

Welcome to the United States of North Korea?
Trump administration demands data on over a million visitors to anti-Trump site

it might just be a case of the justice department over reaching, but given the current political climate, it is... disturbing.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on August 15, 2017, 04:09:28 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 15, 2017, 02:03:54 AM
Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2017, 12:50:44 AM
Yeah it's pretty sucky. I'm really fond of Viking stuff f. ex. and that's one of the favourite sources of symbols for the undifferentiated white supremacist crowd.

Yup. As much as I like Norse art and runes, wearing them in public is a quick way to be branded ZOMGNAZI.
Please avoid cultural appropriation. <_<

He's from Holstein, so he's basically Danish anyhow...

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on August 15, 2017, 09:24:24 AM
So, back on topic.

Welcome to the United States of North Korea?
Trump administration demands data on over a million visitors to anti-Trump site

it might just be a case of the justice department over reaching, but given the current political climate, it is... disturbing.

No just as choice between a quick and a slow death, Trump has the nuclear conflagration angle covered, now he's also going after the person as sovereign citizens within a republic.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on August 15, 2017, 09:07:27 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2017, 09:03:12 AM

Antifa are far left. They're violent extremists. I don't care if they technically are communists or not.

So anyone who violently opposed the Nazis in the 1930s would be an extremist in your book too?

No.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 15, 2017, 09:11:53 AM

As a rhetorical method - seems to me the creation of a "false balance". Of the form 'sure, Nazis are bad, but then, so are Communists. The Left has its bad extremists just like the Right'.

Why "false"? Because Nazis are actually on the march in the US, while Communists are basically a historical footnote there. The Right in the US is problematic in a way that the Left simply isn't, at this time, and it is ignorant at best to pretend they are equivalent.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2017, 09:03:12 AM
Antifa are far left. They're violent extremists. I don't care if they technically are communists or not.

That is the Nazi talking point, yes.

That usually explains why Communists are brought into the conversation too.

"Look at those other guys, they're just as bad!"

The Minsky Moment

The Communist Party in the USA has a program that is virtually indistinguishable from the one Bernie Sanders ran on.  Their chairman is some dweeby guy from Ohio.  Their main practical activity these days is leasing office space in Chelsea.

Communism has its black book but c.2017 American Communists reject that legacy and pursue peaceful political advocacy, albeit very ineffectually.

American Nazis OTOH have not fallen so far from the tree.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 15, 2017, 09:45:38 AM
Why "false"? Because Nazis are actually on the march in the US, while Communists are basically a historical footnote there. The Right in the US is problematic in a way that the Left simply isn't, at this time, and it is ignorant at best to pretend they are equivalent.   
I agree that right now in the US, the far Right is more dangerous, since Trump cut funding and/or dismantled all Federal organizations dealing with domestic terrorism, it means these groups aren't bothered by more than local cops the moment they step over the boundaries, like crashing a car into a crowd.

However, the left has very radical elements and are responsible for many riots and terror acts on their own.  They are violent extremists and are often also the same guys you find as militant of extreme right wing groups like the newly founded La Meute.

This is for Europe, but if you look at Europol report for terrorism activities, you will see that leftist terrorism has increased in recent years:
https://www.europol.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/tesat2017.pdf

The Brain

FWIW I think an "it can't happen here" attitude will serve America well. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Some guy driving a car into pedestrians doesn't make American Nazis relevant.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 15, 2017, 10:17:59 AM
Some guy driving a car into pedestrians doesn't make American Nazis relevant.

There are other factors in play as well, that's true - like the number of rallies they're holding and the fact that the current White House has several key members whom the American Nazis characterize as their "fellow travellers."