News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on August 14, 2017, 11:09:19 PM
It's a checks on power thing.  Social media mobs can be extremely powerful, with nothing reigning in their potential excesses.  Just like with police brutality, the people on the receiving end are usually not sympathetic, but I think most people understand that condoning policy brutality is a very bad idea if you want to have a free society.

I think the key element is to verify that the information is accurate - that people aren't getting branded as Nazis when they're not. But if they are Nazis? Yeah, I'm okay with those repercussions.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2017, 11:13:41 PM
Quote from: sbr on August 14, 2017, 11:03:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2017, 10:55:47 PM
Quote from: sbr on August 14, 2017, 10:54:47 PM
Fuck you and fuck them.  You show up to a KKK rally without your hood you deserve everything that happens to you.

You don't want to get shamed or lose your job?  Don't be a piece of garbage.

I see your point. I am just uneasy about it in general.

Yeah you seem like a "both sides have a point" kind of guy.

The only sides here are evil and not evil.  It seems like an easy choice to me; not everyone seems to think the same.

I don't think both sides have a point but mob justice is a pretty scary thing. It is arbitrary and unjust by its very nature even if it makes me feel good to see pieces of human garbage get shit on.

Yeah, it's easy to say in a situation like this that one side is totally wrong, but if we allow the use of mob justice here, it becomes easier to use it in situations where both sides have a point.

grumbler

I think that half, and maybe more, of the people in Western societies get satisfaction out of feeling morally superior to others, and are perfectly willing to say "fuck them, they deserve whatever they get."  I've never been the judgmental type myself, so that's a pretty alien mindset to me.  I would note that the very neo-Nazis/KKKers now being cast into the pit are people of exactly that persuasion.  So are the social justice warriors.  It's sometimes hard to tell the groups apart, unless you catch key pieces of rhetoric.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

So, immediately after his mealy mouthed weak denounciation of white supremacy, Trump floats that he's thinking of pardoning Sherrif Joe. Subtle he is not.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2017, 11:20:33 PM
Nope, Nazi apologetics are not going to fly here for the next little while. -- Jacob

That's bullshit, Jake. Condemning far right and far left extremism is Nazi apologetics?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on August 14, 2017, 11:49:03 PM
I think that half, and maybe more, of the people in Western societies get satisfaction out of feeling morally superior to others, and are perfectly willing to say "fuck them, they deserve whatever they get."  I've never been the judgmental type myself, so that's a pretty alien mindset to me.  I would note that the very neo-Nazis/KKKers now being cast into the pit are people of exactly that persuasion.  So are the social justice warriors.  It's sometimes hard to tell the groups apart, unless you catch key pieces of rhetoric.

Are you saying that the white supremacists and Nazis who marched in Charlottesville are hard to tell apart from the counter protestors? Or are you speaking of another set of neo-Nazis/KKKers and social justice warriors?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on August 14, 2017, 11:49:03 PM

You know how you can tell them apart?  One side has swastikas, Confederate flags and pointy hats.  Douchebag.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2017, 12:01:27 AM
Nope, Nazi apologetics are not going to fly here for the next little while. -- Jacob

That's bullshit, Jake. Condemning far right and far left extremism is Nazi apologetics?

Yup drawing false moral equivalences saying "those anti-fascists are just as bad" days after a Nazi murder is apologetics, yes.

One side demands the subjugation and extermination of groups of people (Jews, LGBTetc, Muslims, Black people). The other does not.

CountDeMoney

Smite Grumbler the Equivocator while you're at it, Xiacob.  Unlike derskittles, fuckstick knows better than that.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2017, 12:05:44 AM

Yup drawing false moral equivalences saying "those anti-fascists are just as bad" days after a Nazi murder is apologetics, yes.

One side demands the subjugation and extermination of groups of people (Jews, LGBTetc, Muslims, Black people). The other does not.

Let him make the argument, Jacob, then smite it as you want.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

False equivalence?  Absolutely.  False equivalence and "I'm just trolling here, lolz" are the two most common tools employed to normalize the Nazis.  I don't think you should be Twitter-mobbed for it, but you should be shown an appropriate lack of respect for this shit.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 15, 2017, 12:08:36 AM
Smite Grumbler the Equivocator while you're at it, Xiacob.  Unlike derskittles, fuckstick knows better than that.

grumbler at least puts some effort into constructing his argument rather than recycling shitty memes derspiess style

the truth is, Nazi apologetics do fly on languish and I'm not going to stop it (we'd lose like half our posters for sure), but low effort image reposting is across the line

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on August 15, 2017, 12:10:46 AM
Let him make the argument, Jacob, then smite it as you want.

Like I said in the above post, yeah... he can make the argument. But dumb ass image posts will get sanctioned.

Admiral Yi

One can certainly draw a moral equivalence between Fascists and Communists.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on August 15, 2017, 12:11:05 AM
False equivalence?  Absolutely.  False equivalence and "I'm just trolling here, lolz" are the two most common tools employed to normalize the Nazis.  I don't think you should be Twitter-mobbed for it, but you should be shown an appropriate lack of respect for this shit.

Indeed.

And if spicy's going to roll with the just-trolling-lolz-but-Nazi's-aren't-the-worst-am-i-rite shit then he'll have to put on his big boy pants and write some actual posts rather than repost images.