News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

If it makes you feel any better, I know you would've hopped the curb and ratcheted up the body count. :hug:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2017, 12:41:51 PM
I was waiting for him to start improv riffing again ON ALL SIDES

As many showers as I feel like I need to take to stop feeling oily after listening to Paris Dennard for five minutes, he did raise one interesting point, couched in the usual vagaries to make it sound like Trump is some master operator: Trump's vocabulary is actually so limited that he could very well have been talking about multiple hate groups, and not equating the far left and the far right, but just failed to use only the best words without it coming from a speechwriter.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 14, 2017, 08:01:14 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2017, 12:41:51 PM
I was waiting for him to start improv riffing again ON ALL SIDES

As many showers as I feel like I need to take to stop feeling oily after listening to Paris Dennard for five minutes, he did raise one interesting point, couched in the usual vagaries to make it sound like Trump is some master operator: Trump's vocabulary is actually so limited that he could very well have been talking about multiple hate groups, and not equating the far left and the far right, but just failed to use only the best words without it coming from a speechwriter.

Thing was, that whole statement was scripted--right up until he got to "on many sides."  Not only is he that transparent , he's so illiterate you can actually see the moment when he goes off script.  It must be infuriating, even for the most sycophantic of his staff.  They tried to package it as opaque as possible for him, and he still goes Full Trump with it.

DGuller

How should one feel about the naming, shaming, and harassment on Twitter of those at the Nazi rally?  One the one hand, those people are without a doubt probably scum.  On the other hand, social media righteous mobs are an evil in their own right, and they haven't exactly figured out the system for doling out punishments fitting the crime, and with fair and adequate appellate process.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 14, 2017, 10:33:44 PM
How should one feel about the naming, shaming, and harassment on Twitter of those at the Nazi rally?  One the one hand, those people are without a doubt probably scum.  On the other hand, social media righteous mobs are an evil in their own right, and they haven't exactly figured out the system for doling out punishments fitting the crime, and with fair and adequate appellate process.

Yeah I am no fan of mob justice no matter how shitty the targets are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Fuck you and fuck them.  You show up to a KKK rally without your hood you deserve everything that happens to you.

You don't want to get shamed or lose your job?  Don't be a piece of garbage.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on August 14, 2017, 10:54:47 PM
Fuck you and fuck them.  You show up to a KKK rally without your hood you deserve everything that happens to you.

I see your point. I am just uneasy about it in general.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2017, 10:55:47 PM

Yeah you seem like a "both sides have a point" kind of guy.

The only sides here are evil and not evil.  It seems like an easy choice to me; not everyone seems to think the same.

DGuller

Quote from: sbr on August 14, 2017, 11:03:01 PM

The only sides here are evil and not evil.  It seems like an easy choice to me; not everyone seems to think the same.
It's a checks on power thing.  Social media mobs can be extremely powerful, with nothing reigning in their potential excesses.  Just like with police brutality, the people on the receiving end are usually not sympathetic, but I think most people understand that condoning policy brutality is a very bad idea if you want to have a free society.

sbr

Now we're equating "state" emoyees with private actors?

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on August 14, 2017, 11:03:01 PM

I don't think both sides have a point but mob justice is a pretty scary thing. It is arbitrary and unjust by its very nature even if it makes me feel good to see pieces of human garbage get shit on.

derspiess

Nope, Nazi apologetics are not going to fly here for the next little while. -- Jacob
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: sbr on August 14, 2017, 11:12:58 PM
Now we're equating "state" emoyees with private actors?
I never understood the libertarian obsession with state.  What makes coercion by state all that special, compared to other types of coercion an individual can endure? 

I think focusing on the freedom of the individual is a much more consistent philosophy.  Humans have needs that make them vulnerable to devastating coercion from actors other than state, especially when those actors band together (which is kind of what state is anyway, only with some ground rules).

Jacob

Yup, that's my stance as well.