News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Trump is too incompetent to actually follow through on many of his threats...er...campaign promises. So far that has made things better than I feared but much more embarrassing. It appears no matter how low of an opinion I have of Trump I still cannot help but overestimate him.

If he does manage to get booted from office before the end of the year then I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief. I know Pence is bad news but he at least understands our foreign policy objectives and commitments.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 17, 2017, 11:46:58 PM
Unfortunately, ideology over common sense isn't impeachable unless it goes all the way to ideology over law.
spoilsport :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on May 18, 2017, 03:49:30 AM
Mike Pence's damage would probably be limited to US citizens, since I'd expect him to be a standard Republican in foreign policy.

So yeah, from a largely egoistic foreign POV, he'd be a massive improvement.

The President's primary job is foreign policy so I think this is a fair position. But granted being a straight white middle class type Pence only holds moderate horror for me domestically.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on May 18, 2017, 09:25:28 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 18, 2017, 08:46:36 AM
Anyone who expected him to "hire good people to run things" never watched a single episode of The Apprentice.  Even with all the benefits of editing Trump came off as a pompous ass who expected complete and unconditional obedience from the executives he dragged on the show.  Even if the people you hire are good, if you manage them like an autocratic buffoon, you won't get the goodness out of them.

Prior to the show, I was kind of neutral on Trump.  But after watching the first season of The Apprentice I really started disliking him.  Sometimes he'd come up with the most arbitrary shit to fire someone over, and I just couldn't stand his personality.

At least he kept his emails server secure, and didn't murder those people in Benghazi.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2017, 10:28:49 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 18, 2017, 03:49:30 AM
Mike Pence's damage would probably be limited to US citizens, since I'd expect him to be a standard Republican in foreign policy.

So yeah, from a largely egoistic foreign POV, he'd be a massive improvement.

The President's primary job is foreign policy so I think this is a fair position. But granted being a straight white middle class type Pence only holds moderate horror for me domestically.

This kind of talk frustrates me to no end.

There are two separate ways to criticize Trump.  First, is that he is an individual almost unprecedented in his lack of qualifications and character to be President.  And second, that he is a Republican and advances a more-or-less Republican agenda.

If you want to argue the first, it's an argument that has a great chance to draw in even other members of the GOP to agree with it.  But when you start making the argument that Pence, who is a fairly bland but typical Republican, is just as bad as Trump, you drive those other Republicans right back in to the arms of Trump.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Pence is not bland, he is a pretty extreme character on the culture wars fronts.

But he is vastly preferable to Trump. If Pence were President everything would hold together fine until we got to the next election.

garbon

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/334049-gop-senator-flynn-wont-comply-with-committees-subpoena

QuoteGOP senator: Flynn won't comply with committee's subpoena

Lawyers for former national security advisor Michael Flynn say he will not comply with a subpoena issued by the Senate Intelligence Committee, Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) said Thursday, according to multiple reports.

The rebuffed demand was for documents related to the committee's investigation into Russian interference in the presidential election.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on May 18, 2017, 10:46:17 AM
http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/334049-gop-senator-flynn-wont-comply-with-committees-subpoena

QuoteGOP senator: Flynn won't comply with committee's subpoena

Lawyers for former national security advisor Michael Flynn say he will not comply with a subpoena issued by the Senate Intelligence Committee, Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) said Thursday, according to multiple reports.

The rebuffed demand was for documents related to the committee's investigation into Russian interference in the presidential election.

US legal types: WTF happens if someone flat-out refuses to comply with such a subpoena?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

A truly wonderful mixed metaphor from CNN in an opinion piece about a possible Trump impeachment:

QuoteThe wagons of opposition, however, are circling.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back out on the prairie.  :alberta:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

:lol:

That makes no sense at all. Is Trump supposed to be raiding Sioux here?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Savonarola on May 18, 2017, 11:10:39 AM
A truly wonderful mixed metaphor from CNN in an opinion piece about a possible Trump impeachment:

QuoteThe wagons of opposition, however, are circling.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back out on the prairie.  :alberta:

Ah, that classic Western trope, when the wagons circle the dehydrated hero, waiting to feast on his corpse.
Que le grand cric me croque !

celedhring

The CNN are obviously avid fans of the Heaven's Gate.

grumbler

Human history is 300,000 years of injustice, followed by some 300 years of partial justice.  Justice only possible for maybe 0.15% of all humans? Sad.  Makes you realize how relatively impossible it is to achieve justice, and why people argue that pursuing such slim odds is not worth the cost.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2017, 10:37:13 AM
This kind of talk frustrates me to no end.

Of course it does, because it shows that people are realizing the damage the "respectable" radical right agenda is doing to the US.

QuoteThere are two separate ways to criticize Trump.  First, is that he is an individual almost unprecedented in his lack of qualifications and character to be President.  And second, that he is a Republican and advances a more-or-less Republican agenda.

If you want to argue the first, it's an argument that has a great chance to draw in even other members of the GOP to agree with it.  But when you start making the argument that Pence, who is a fairly bland but typical Republican, is just as bad as Trump, you drive those other Republicans right back in to the arms of Trump.

Pence and his ilk set the stage for Trump. More of their "bland but typical Republican" policy (which is quite radical and in Pence's case damaged his home state of Indiana significantly) is not the antidote to Trumpism. Rather it's slightly more competent Trumpism, which has the potential to damage the Republic even further than Trump's buffoonish incompetence.

Caliga

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2017, 12:13:51 PM
More of their "bland but typical Republican" policy (which is quite radical and in Pence's case damaged his home state of Indiana significantly)
It did?  Not a loaded question... I honestly don't know what damage he caused.  About a third of my co-workers live in Indiana and nobody seemed to be complaining about him when he was governor, though to be fair I didn't know anyone who seemed like a fan either.  Seemed to be just a whole lot of "meh" and then "lolwut?" when Trump picked him as his running mate.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points