News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 19, 2017, 07:47:35 AM
At some point defending the "traditional" becomes defending the indefensible.   The values of community are, for a conservative in the Burke tradition, what is important.  As a society we, at least in Canada and most of the US, have recognized that marriage is more than a biblical definition.  Taking a position against that wider definition based on religious belief is reactionary.  And I suspect the reason you think Pence is "bland" is because you share the same reactionary views.  The sort of  reactionary views that arguably run counter to the kind of conservatism Burke embraced.

BB does not share those though. I mean I cannot see BB righteously persecuting Buddha like the Republicans are doing across this country. BB is just loyal to the Republican party because they are a brother conservative party. He seems able to overlook their dangerous radicalism.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2017, 09:14:15 AM
Well to be fair they also chose Trump over every other Republican. And the second place guy was Cruz who is a dangerous radical.
Well, the convention processe are a little twisted, State by State, and there were multiple contestants in the first States, so it's a little hard to determine if they massively voted for him or not.

Dangerous radicals and screwjobs are just who they favor these days despite BB's best efforts to see them as Burkean.
Yeah.  It does not bode well for your future.  But Quebec will welcome you with open arms.  For half the pay and twice the taxes.  But we have maple syrup.   :yeah:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2017, 03:36:16 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 18, 2017, 02:36:42 PM
The question though is whether he's relatively* sane on foreign issues - the President has the most impact on those.

* relative to Trump.

Plus, I'm a dirty foreigner. Extremism on domestic issues won't affect me as much!  :D

That is a question, particularly relevant to those of us who are not American. However, the discussion we were having was debating the question whether Pence is a standard bland moderate republican as BB asserted.

True, but I'm on the same page as the majority on that question - Pence is an extremist.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maladict

QuoteGetting ready for my big foreign trip. Will be strongly protecting American interests - that's what I like to do!

:lol:

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 19, 2017, 09:23:55 AM
Well, the convention processe are a little twisted, State by State, and there were multiple contestants in the first States, so it's a little hard to determine if they massively voted for him or not.

Trump won the first two primaries, in New Hampshire and South Carolina, by huge margins. More than 10 points in both instances :mellow:

He crushed the opposition. It was not even close at any point. He was the overwhelming choice of the Republican voters. Well ok I guess the week between the Iowa Caucus and the New Hampshire Primary it was close. Cruz just barely beat him and as I said Cruz is hardly a bland politician or a reassuring figure.

There is no space for Burkean type conservatism in the mainstream of the Republican Party. Trump and Cruz and extremists like Texas Governor Abbott are who they like to elect (and Abbott is often attacked for not being radical enough. I feel like Emma Goldman would be considered too soft on destroying public institutions for half these freaks). Stephen Harper would be destroyed as a liberal RINO here. Yet BB still feels kinship with them for some reason.

I hope cooler heads like Spicey, yes I said it, will eventually prevail again. But I doubt it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on May 19, 2017, 09:58:57 AM
QuoteGetting ready for my big foreign trip. Will be strongly protecting American interests - that's what I like to do!

:lol:

I had to check, but it's actually a legit tweet of his Hairness.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

When he tweets it almost always sounds like a little kid talking to me. :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Caliga on May 19, 2017, 10:11:59 AM

So true:

@realDonaldTrump  56m
56 minutes ago
Getting ready for my big foreign trip.  Dad says I can go into the cockpit and talk to the pilot before the plane takes off.  Cool!  I'm going to Arabia and Israel and Rome, Italy.  Pizza in Italy - that's what I like to do!  Then I get to meet important people like the Pope and the head of the EW.  It's called strongly protecting American interests!  Gotta go and help Mom pack my clothes now.

@realDonaldTrump
13 hours ago
"President Donald J. Trump Proclaims 5/14/2017 through 5/20/2017 as #PoliceWeek"  This naming days and weeks stuff is so awesome!  Maybe I'll rename 2017 TrumpisWinnerYear!  Tomorrow is JimComeySmellsLikeDirtyUnderpantsDay!

@realDonaldTrump  May 16
It was a great honor to welcome the President of Turkey to the @WhiteHouse today.  I love Turkey even when its not Thanksgiving!   His name is Recep Tayyip Erdoğan - wow, what a mouthful that is!  No wonder you need some mustard and relish with it!  I like Russian dressing with my Turkey but Reince and Spicey keep telling me to stop saying Russian for some reason.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 19, 2017, 10:11:59 AM

That's because he is.  Really hope you're not figuring out that just now.

Zanza

Quote@realDonaldTrump
Many people are saying it was wonderful that Mrs. Obama refused to wear a scarf in Saudi Arabia, but they were insulted.We have enuf enemies
5:40 PM - 29 Jan 2015

Will Melania Ivanka look like this:  :ph34r: ?

Valmy

Is she going with him? I thought she was doing her own thing in New York.

Did Trump really say that? What a bizarre thing for him to tweet.

Edit: LOL yeah Melania isn't going anywhere with him.

Zanza

Actually apparently both will go with him on his trip.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on May 19, 2017, 12:17:33 PM
Actually apparently both will go with him on his trip.

Ah well shows what I know. I don't really keep up with his personal life intentionally. It just kind of filters to me.

But still Trump tweeting about how we need to respect the Islamic ways of our allies? I mean past Presidents would go ahead and do that but announcing that you are going to do it and say how insufficiently the Obamas were at kissing up to the Saudis? Crazy. What a weird world.

Are you sure that is an authentic tweet?

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2017, 12:18:00 PM
Ah well shows what I know. I don't really keep up with his personal life intentionally. It just kind of filters to me.

But still Trump tweeting about how we need to respect the Islamic ways of our allies? I mean past Presidents would go ahead and do that but announcing that you are going to do it and say how insufficiently the Obamas were at kissing up to the Saudis? Crazy. What a weird world.

Are you sure that is an authentic tweet?

It's from 2015.

Valmy