News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Invoking the 25th amendment in this context is an awful idea, terrible precedent.

High crimes and misdemeanors isn't limited to a convictable criminal act .  It includes "negligence or perfidy" (Madison).  It basically means something that's really bad.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Quote from: Malthus on May 17, 2017, 03:26:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2017, 03:02:33 PM
That does seem to be the pattern. These four months have been crazy.

It is funny in a sad way to see my 11 year old son taking on the cynical air of a Languishista over this continuing shit show south of the border. Every time the news comes on, he's all 'what new stupidity has that idiot committed today?' He's rarely disappointed.

What concerns me is the actual loss of prestige and influence America is suffering as a result of this crap. Of course the country is a powerful as it ever was. The sense that, whatever foolishness US politicians may spout, the country is basically a major source of stability and a positive influence in an uncertain world is really taking a beating, though - or at least, so it appears. I've no actual hard evidence to back that up.
Something like this...

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 17, 2017, 03:27:21 PM
Invoking the 25th amendment in this context is an awful idea, terrible precedent.

High crimes and misdemeanors isn't limited to a convictable criminal act .  It includes "negligence or perfidy" (Madison).  It basically means something that's really bad.

I provided the link so people wouldn't think I was trying to take credit for the lines quoted.  I mostly just liked the "stewards for a syphilitic emperor" bit. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Did you guys see the bit about Trump giving a commencement speech to a graduating class of Coast Guards, with the text apparently being plagiarized from Legally Blonde?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 17, 2017, 03:41:40 PM
Did you guys see the bit about Trump giving a commencement speech to a graduating class of Coast Guards, with the text apparently being plagiarized from Legally Blonde?

I did. I refused to watch the evidence as there is only so much of my country being humiliated I can stand over the course of four months.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2017, 03:04:44 PM
Both of those guys are outliers. Amash especially.

For sure, but they're both Republicans. If the Republicans do turn on Trump, I'd expect the outliers to do it first.

Speaking of outliers, here's the first GOP Senator calling for an independent inquiry into the whole Russia thing:

QuoteGOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) says it's time to consider a special prosecutor or independent commission to look into Russian election interference and links between President Trump's team and the Kremlin.

"t's imperative that we — Congress, the FBI, the administration — work to restore the public's trust. In order to grain that credibility, it may be that we need to look to an independent commission or special prosecutor," she said in a statement.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/333857-gop-senator-open-to-special-investigator-in-russia-probe

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2017, 03:42:22 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 17, 2017, 03:41:40 PM

I did. I refused to watch the evidence as there is only so much of my country being humiliated I can stand over the course of four months.

Okay, having reviewed the evidence it's more of a political comedy piece than a real allegation of actual plagiarism.

https://youtu.be/ak6EFFgpV5s

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on May 17, 2017, 02:57:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 17, 2017, 02:40:29 PM
A person who is physically unable to help is typically not considered to be acting unjustly.

There's a difference between "physically unable" and "difficult". Poor countries failing to deliver education to their poorer citizens typically falls under "difficult" in my view as it's down to the allocation of limited resources.

It was reasonably obvious that "very poor" in my post was about their ability to provide education to everybody. Why else would I mention it (rhetorical)?

I expect poorshaming from some posters, but not necessarily from you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

AnchorClanker

Are there any bets running on how long this can continue to go on?

Most of the GOP wasn't wild about him to begin with, and comforted themselves for a few weeks by repeating the mantra: "The Office will make him grow up, he won't continue act like an impetuous child, he'll surround himself with good people..."

Blah, blah, blah.  That delightful little delusion is wearing VERY thin, and only the hardest of hardcore Trumpies feel the need to defend his antics.  I am very worried that this shipwreck of an administration will do serious, irreparable damage to the GOP by making it utterly impossible for them to act like grown-ups because they have become the party of fantasy-landers who think it's really awesome that POTUS "speaks his mind" no matter how counter-factual, ill-timed, or just plain irresponsible.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

garbon

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 17, 2017, 04:35:59 PM

Most of the GOP wasn't wild about him to begin with, and comforted themselves for a few weeks by repeating the mantra: "The Office will make him grow up, he won't continue act like an impetuous child, he'll surround himself with good people..."

Blah, blah, blah.  That delightful little delusion is wearing VERY thin, and only the hardest of hardcore Trumpies feel the need to defend his antics.  I am very worried that this shipwreck of an administration will do serious, irreparable damage to the GOP by making it utterly impossible for them to act like grown-ups because they have become the party of fantasy-landers who think it's really awesome that POTUS "speaks his mind" no matter how counter-factual, ill-timed, or just plain irresponsible.

The GOP already is ruined.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: garbon on May 17, 2017, 04:41:15 PM

The GOP already is ruined.

Inclined to agree, but there is always the possibility that some of the grown-ups will put country over party.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Barrister

It will all come down on his poll numbers.  When Republican voters start breaking with Trump then the elected politicians will quickly follow.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

I also note that The Economist thinks it's inherently unjust to let any isolated tribes in your country live undisturbed by civilization. How 19th century.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on May 17, 2017, 04:45:41 PM
It will all come down on his poll numbers.  When Republican voters start breaking with Trump then the elected politicians will quickly follow.

Yup.  A by-election in which the incumbent feels he needs to run away from Trump, or in which he gets primaried by an anti-Trump candidate would be helpful too.

Jacob

Robert Mueller (former FBI Director under W. Bush and Obama) is appointed special counsell to head the Russia investigation: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/us/politics/robert-mueller-special-counsel-russia-investigation.html

He seems like a pretty heavy duty kind of guy.

:o