Sarah Palin resigns Governorship to gear up for 2012

Started by Phillip V, July 03, 2009, 02:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strix

Quote from: katmai on July 04, 2009, 03:49:58 AM
general consensus of the people i know and folks i heard today when they heard that she was resigning: good,
the general sentiment is she hasn't had her head in state affairs since she got back from the unsucessful Veep run.

It did wonders for John Edwards career after he didn't bother running for Senate re-election in NC because he spent so much time trying to run for VP. Perhaps this will help Palin as well er minus the having a little something on the side like John.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

KRonn

I didn't read all of this yet. But Palin wasn't going anywhere as a Pres candidate. Not even as VP. She had been so vilified, was so polarizing that she had a long way to go to gain enough gravitas to be taken seriously by enough people. I like her ok but I just feel she was damaged goods; did too much damage to herself, plus I feel the media frenzy was pretty heavy handed.
She was like Hillary Clinton but Hillary gained respect and some gravitas, though very polarizing, or formerly was.

I do think Palin might get into being a voice for Repubs or for Conservative ideas, something like that. Out of the limelight of governorship, i fthat would work out. It's been also said that she racked up a lot of costs in all the (failed) ethics investigations, so the talk circuit might be good way fo rher to make money.

MadImmortalMan

I dunno what this means, but I'm starting to see a lot of bumper stickers and ball caps with the McCain/Palin logo from the campaign on them, only McCain's name is gone. It's just "Palin" with the little star symbol over it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

I just do not get the right wing love affair with Palin.  Surely the election showed how ineffectual she was.

Do they WANT to lose the next election?  Or will alot of them just take a religious loony, any religious loony to rally behind?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

I don't know if it's possible for her to gain gravitas.  Bush II didn't have any until he got elected, running primarily on folksy charm.  Palin doesn't even have folksy charm.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2009, 12:36:38 PM
I just do not get the right wing love affair with Palin.  Surely the election showed how ineffectual she was.

Do they WANT to lose the next election?  Or will alot of them just take a religious loony, any religious loony to rally behind?
Huckabee at least had a personality.  Palin is just a jumped-up PTA mom.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on July 06, 2009, 12:37:58 PM

Huck at least won a few Primaries.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2009, 12:38:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 06, 2009, 12:37:58 PM

Huck at least won a few Primaries.
Well, he was the Christian candidate.  Maybe that's what Palin is aiming to be.

Of course, the Christian candidate is usually the one person you wouldn't want to win the election.  Unless Kucinich is running.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 06, 2009, 12:37:03 PM
I don't know if it's possible for her to gain gravitas.  Bush II didn't have any until he got elected, running primarily on folksy charm.  Palin doesn't even have folksy charm.

That's all Palin has going for her - folksy charm.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2009, 12:54:19 PM
That's all Palin has going for her - folksy charm.

When I think of Folksy Charm I think the archetype protrayed in Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.  Somebody who can charm people because they have a kind of basic wisdom about them.

She lacks that completely.  She is a religious populist which is something different.

The Minsky Moment

Just in case there was one rational person left in the US who thought she was fit for an office higher than Matanuska-Susitna Aerial Wolf Gunner, she apparently authorized her attorney to issue a press-release (!) threatening to bring defamation lawsuits against her detractors.

I encourage all to read:   http://www.politico.com/static/PPM124_release_for_7-4-09-1.html.   It is a leading candidate for best unintentional comedy writing for 2009.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Phillip V

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2009, 12:36:38 PM

What would an "effectual" VP candidate been?

Hansmeister

Never in the history of politics has a politician done so little in such a short period of time to earn so much deranged hatred from the MSM and the Democrats (but I repeat myself) as Sarah Palin has.

Not surprising that she would withdraw from politics rather than have herself and her family subjected to any more of the skurrilous conspiracy theories and character assassinations.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Phillip V on July 06, 2009, 01:01:35 PM

I think he was referring to the fact that everyone on the planet was terrified at the prospect  that if McCain was elected she might become President if he died.

Well everyone except the religious fundamentalists that she appeals to for her support.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2009, 01:05:13 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 06, 2009, 01:01:35 PM

I think he was referring to the fact that everyone on the planet was terrified at the prospect  that if McCain was elected she might become President if he died.

Well everyone except the religious fundamentalists that she appeals to for her support.

I never knew that I was a religious fundamentalist. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.