Who is the most revered person in your country's history?

Started by Syt, September 22, 2016, 03:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Look revolutionizing science and creating calculus and modern physics is nothing compared to being Lady Diana.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I've heard the name Brunel before (hard to forget Isambard Kingdom once you've heard it), but I really have no idea with he did.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2016, 03:08:07 PM
I've heard the name Brunel before (hard to forget Isambard Kingdom once you've heard it), but I really have no idea with he did.

Probably the greatest civil engineer in history. Which, granted, isn't saying much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

US list as I think it likely exists:

Washington
Franklin
Jefferson
Lincoln
MLK

How I would rank them

Lincoln
Jefferson
Washington
MLK
Bell

If we get to claim Einstein, he gets in there somewhere.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 03:07:16 PM
Look revolutionizing science and creating calculus and modern physics is nothing compared to being Lady Diana.

No kidding.

I might have Newton as my #1 human being of all time, much less #1 in Britain.

Of course, when it comes to science, Britain certainly tops the list of nations with the greatest scientists. It's kind of obscene how many of the greats were British.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on September 22, 2016, 03:05:29 PM
Quote from: Gups on September 22, 2016, 06:45:34 AM
The top 10 list from a big BBC survey in 2002:

1.Sir Winston Churchill
2.Isambard Kingdom Brunel
3.Diana, Princess of Wales
4.Charles Darwin
5.William Shakespeare
6.Sir Isaac Newton
7.Elizabeth I
8.John Lennon
9.Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson
10.Oliver Cromwell

Apart from Diana and arguably Lennon, it's a decent enough top 10.

Anything that doesn't have Newton at the top is auto-fail, no matter what.

I think part of the problem with that list was how it was marshalled and presented by the BBC, they had some odd thing like the top 100 already nominated, then the ten leaders each had a programme dedicated to them which was fronted by a celebrity.

Hence IKB made a strong showing because Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson fronted it, I forget who did Diana but they did a good enough job to persuade their votes.

I agree with you about Newton, certainly top three if you drop Diana, Lennon and demote Churchill a few places.

Possibly stick in a social reformer or campaigner, maybe Bazalgette deserves a place or one of the medical researchers.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2016, 03:08:07 PM

Built modern society. Literally.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 02:37:50 PM
Huh. Who would choose Charles V?

Germans?
Dutch people?
Austrians?
Belgians?

:hmm:
Why would anybody consider him to be one of their greatest though? I mean he is an important historical figure, but "revered"?

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on September 22, 2016, 03:51:45 PM

Germans?
Dutch people?
Austrians?
Belgians?

Why would anybody consider him to be one of their greatest though? I mean he is an important historical figure, but "revered"?

He was actually in the list for the Greatest Spaniards. Pretty low, though, at #28.

Malthus

Germans?
Dutch people?
Austrians?
Belgians?

Who would choose Charles V?

Depends on among which group in each nation: Gods, women, men, or horses.  :D

QuoteI speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to my Horse.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Archy

He's seen in a good light over here. For his 500 birthday they had a lot of events.
There are also lots of folktales about him. Guess he was the symbol of the good old times for the Catholics in the Southern Netherlands. During and after the eighty years war

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on September 22, 2016, 03:51:45 PM

Germans?
Dutch people?
Austrians?
Belgians?

Spanish Empire nostalgics.

Valmy

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on September 22, 2016, 02:41:11 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on September 22, 2016, 02:36:02 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 22, 2016, 02:20:09 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on September 22, 2016, 02:14:32 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 22, 2016, 03:35:04 AM
As for Catalans... It's probably King Jaume I (conquered Valencia, Mallorca from the Arabs). He's comfortably the most popular Catalan historic figure, and relatively non-controversial. I guess separatists would pick Lluís Companys, though.

I'd personally vote Salvador Dalí, but I'm a huge fan.

Huh. Jaume was not born nor raised in Catalonia.

He spoke Catalan and was the sovereign of the Catalans - in fact, he was one of the key figures in the development of Catalan as a literary language. Your point?

I just think it's kind of weird. It's like choosing Carlos I as the most revered Spaniard.

Or King Juan Carlos I, who was similarly neither born or raised in Spain  :hmm:

Just because he spent a lot of time in Estoril does not mean he is Portuguese. Chillax, you can keep him  :P

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive