Who is the most revered person in your country's history?

Started by Syt, September 22, 2016, 03:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

dps

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 09:06:22 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 22, 2016, 09:04:48 AM
Ben Franklin? Mark Twain? They hold an humongous share in "quote of the day" Spanish calendars.  :hmm:

Plus both of them rock.

Oh fuck how could I forget Franklin :lol:

He is actually my favorite American :blush:

Probably mine, too.  I remember we had a thread a long time ago asking who was the most quintessentially "American" American, and I argued for Franklin.

Tonitrus

Despite some of his faults, I would Teddy Roosevelt on our list.

And, of course...Harambe.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 08:50:09 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2016, 08:41:50 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 08:40:05 AM
MLK, Muhammed Ali, Walt Disney, Edison (At least outside the nerd community) all have to fit in there somewhere in addition to politicians.

But if we did a nationwide poll Oprah would probably win :P

Is Thomas Edison really revered?
MLK and Muhammed Ali suffer a bit because we've a lot of racists
Walt Disney? Do people care about the man or just the empire that he initiated?

Edison and Disney are (were?) portrayed as our great geniuses who built empires out of nothing. I guess I figured they personified the American Dream(TM) or at least how it has been traditionally understood. Also less controversial than people like Henry Ford.

While he was alive Disney was a super star. Have people really forgotten about him?

I think even racists like Ali and these days they even seem to like MLK a bit, or at least a version of him. I am talking about the casual racists here not the KKK types.

I've been very surprised how many Korean kids know Edison.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 23, 2016, 12:42:47 AM

I've been very surprised how many Korean kids know Edison.

Every kid in Hong Kong knows Edison.  He is regarded as a positive role model of hard work and ingenuity. 

celedhring

When I was a kid he was pushed as a role model in schools too. It's not like we Spaniards have many prolific inventors to draw on.  :hmm:

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2016, 01:35:49 AM
When I was a kid he was pushed as a role model in schools too. It's not like we Spaniards have many prolific inventors to draw on.  :hmm:

Well, Torquemada was very inventive, I hear.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Syt on September 22, 2016, 03:01:34 AM
As opposed to reviled. In 2003 a German TV show polled Germans with this result (ranked 1 - 10).

Konrad Adenauer
Martin Luther
Karl Marx
Sophie und Hans Scholl
Willy Brandt
Johann Sebastian Bach
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Johannes Gutenberg
Otto von Bismarck
Albert Einstein

I'm honestly struggling to name "the one German" who's most revered. Luther, and Goethe would certainly make the shortlist, though.
Hmm.
D'Iberville.
Frontenac.
Antoine Labelle.
Jean Lesage.
René Lévesque.
Lucien Bouchard.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 23, 2016, 09:28:22 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 22, 2016, 03:01:34 AM
As opposed to reviled. In 2003 a German TV show polled Germans with this result (ranked 1 - 10).

Konrad Adenauer
Martin Luther
Karl Marx
Sophie und Hans Scholl
Willy Brandt
Johann Sebastian Bach
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Johannes Gutenberg
Otto von Bismarck
Albert Einstein

I'm honestly struggling to name "the one German" who's most revered. Luther, and Goethe would certainly make the shortlist, though.
Hmm.
D'Iberville.
Frontenac.
Antoine Labelle.
Jean Lesage.
René Lévesque.
Lucien Bouchard.

According to the Liberals, it is our current Prime Minister!  :lol:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/justin-trudeau-is-now-the-most-prominent-and-popular-politician-on-the-planet-dion-says

That ought to make you happy.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Hamilcar

Roger Federer advertises pretty much every product here.

Syt

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 23, 2016, 01:32:40 PM

I think I saw a shop advertising kitchen appliances with him when I was in Zug earlier this month.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Hamilcar

Valmy

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 23, 2016, 01:32:40 PM

So I guess William Tell has finally been supplanted :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."