Who is the most revered person in your country's history?

Started by Syt, September 22, 2016, 03:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

George Washington
Ben Franklin
Mark Twain
Frank Lloyd Wright
Elvis
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on September 22, 2016, 01:29:40 PM
Who made the silly decision not include Romans? Caesar and Augustus were Italians, no?

Well the Spanish didn't nominate Hadrian or Trajan either :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 02:10:13 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 22, 2016, 01:29:40 PM
Who made the silly decision not include Romans? Caesar and Augustus were Italians, no?

Well the Spanish didn't nominate Hadrian or Trajan either :(

The Syrians didn't nominate Elagabalus.  :( Though he may be a contender if they had.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on September 22, 2016, 03:35:04 AM
As for Catalans... It's probably King Jaume I (conquered Valencia, Mallorca from the Arabs). He's comfortably the most popular Catalan historic figure, and relatively non-controversial. I guess separatists would pick Lluís Companys, though.

I'd personally vote Salvador Dalí, but I'm a huge fan.

Huh. Jaume was not born nor raised in Catalonia.

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on September 22, 2016, 02:14:32 PM
As for Catalans... It's probably King Jaume I (conquered Valencia, Mallorca from the Arabs). He's comfortably the most popular Catalan historic figure, and relatively non-controversial. I guess separatists would pick Lluís Companys, though.

He spoke Catalan and was the sovereign of the Catalans - in fact, he was one of the key figures in the development of Catalan as a literary language. Your point?

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 02:14:21 PM
Did Israel nominate Jesus?  :P

It would probably be accurate, if the test is for the world. 

Somehow, Bibi hasn't edged him out yet in international popularity.   :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on September 22, 2016, 02:20:09 PM

He spoke Catalan and was the sovereign of the Catalans - in fact, he was one of the key figures in the development of Catalan as a literary language. Your point?

I just think it's kind of weird. It's like choosing Carlos I as the most revered Spaniard.

Valmy

Huh. Who would choose Charles V?

Germans?
Dutch people?
Austrians?
Belgians?

:hmm:

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on September 22, 2016, 02:36:02 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 22, 2016, 02:20:09 PM

I just think it's kind of weird. It's like choosing Carlos I as the most revered Spaniard.

Or King Juan Carlos I, who was similarly neither born or raised in Spain  :hmm:

Iormlund

Valmy

He did once tell Hugo Chavez to shut up. That was cool.

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on September 22, 2016, 02:44:37 PM
I wouldn't choose him either.  :P

Neither would I, but he won the "official" contest so that's why I mention him  :P

To be frank, it's not an awful shout. Even if he's tarnished his legacy a bit, at the end of the day in 1977 he gave up power voluntarily. Some of his ancestors - when faced with similar crossroads - sent this county plunging into the abyss. This alone puts him at the top of the pile when it comes to Spanish monarchs.

Berkut

Quote from: Gups on September 22, 2016, 06:45:34 AM
The top 10 list from a big BBC survey in 2002:

1.Sir Winston Churchill
2.Isambard Kingdom Brunel
3.Diana, Princess of Wales
4.Charles Darwin
5.William Shakespeare
6.Sir Isaac Newton
7.Elizabeth I
8.John Lennon
9.Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson
10.Oliver Cromwell

Apart from Diana and arguably Lennon, it's a decent enough top 10.

Anything that doesn't have Newton at the top is auto-fail, no matter what.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned