Who is the most revered person in your country's history?

Started by Syt, September 22, 2016, 03:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Oh I guess I have heard/seen these as dreck that I roll my eyes at.

QuoteGenius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I'm disappointed that no American has offered Paul Revere as the most revered person yet. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on September 22, 2016, 08:59:10 AM
I'm disappointed that no American has offered Paul Revere as the most revered person yet. :(

:lol:

Revere suffers from the fact that he became a cliche myth that most people know is not true. What they do not know is that in reality the real Revere was far cooler than the discredited myth.

Well that and he is a pretty distant figure in time, heck even the myth is over 150 years old.

But yes I get the pun :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2016, 08:58:18 AM
Oh I guess I have heard/seen these as dreck that I roll my eyes at.

The most common one I see is 'I have not failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work.'

But seriously google 'Edison Quotes' a ton will show up in that vein. 'Don't give up! Edison didn't and look at how much nerds hate him!'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

Ben Franklin? Mark Twain? They hold an humongous share in "quote of the day" Spanish calendars.  :hmm:

Plus both of them rock.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on September 22, 2016, 09:04:48 AM
Ben Franklin? Mark Twain? They hold an humongous share in "quote of the day" Spanish calendars.  :hmm:

Plus both of them rock.

Oh fuck how could I forget Franklin :lol:

He is actually my favorite American :blush:

Twain is obviously the great American writer.

I was thinking mainly of the 20th century there. Whoops.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 22, 2016, 09:11:28 AM
Sam Houston

A great man. A friend (-ish) to the native peoples and a sworn enemy to the lettowists. Pity about the shitty city they named after him.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 09:06:22 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 22, 2016, 09:04:48 AM

Plus both of them rock.

Oh fuck how could I forget Franklin :lol:

He is actually my favorite American :blush:

Twain is obviously the great American writer.

I was thinking mainly of the 20th century there. Whoops.

I thought of Franklin but wasn't sure if he'd make top 10.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 09:13:45 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 22, 2016, 09:11:28 AM
Sam Houston

A great man. A friend (-ish) to the native peoples and a sworn enemy to the lettowists. Pity about the shitty city they named after him.

Yup, my favorite part of 7th grade Texas History class.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

There are few people in any country's history who are a great business leader, a great civic leader, a great cultural icon, a groundbreaking scientist, and a great political leader all at the same time.

Barrister

So, CBC did a Greatest Canadian show like so many other countries did.

Top Ten:

10. Wayne Gretzky (meh, fair enough)
9. Alexander Graham Bell (well deserved)
8. Sir John A MacDonald (father of the country, dragged down by drinking and some scandals)
7. Don Cherry (I'm a fan, but come on)
6. Lester Pearson (not a fan, but I can see why he'd rank)
5. David Suzuki (by now it becomes obvious that was a poll of CBC viewers)
4. Sir Frederick Banting
3. Pierre Trudeau :bleeding:
2. Terry Fox
1. Tommy Douglas :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on September 22, 2016, 03:01:34 AM
I'm honestly struggling to name "the one German" who's most revered. Luther, and Goethe would certainly make the shortlist, though.
If you consider Einstein a German, it must be him. He's revered worldwide, not just in Germany and is a pop culture icon on top of his gigantic achievements.

Admiral Yi

I would have thought Luther's Jew hating would create issues.

For the US I'd go Lincoln, Washington, MLK.