Who is the most revered person in your country's history?

Started by Syt, September 22, 2016, 03:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 23, 2016, 09:47:32 AM
That ought to make you happy.  :D
I want to vomit.

If at least, it convinces people to follow politics, it's a good thing though, I'll admit that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Gups on September 22, 2016, 06:45:34 AM
The top 10 list from a big BBC survey in 2002:

1.Sir Winston Churchill
2.Isambard Kingdom Brunel
3.Diana, Princess of Wales
4.Charles Darwin
5.William Shakespeare
6.Sir Isaac Newton
7.Elizabeth I
8.John Lennon
9.Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson
10.Oliver Cromwell

Apart from Diana and arguably Lennon, it's a decent enough top 10.

No JM Keynes.  Total and utter fail.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Also Aquinas and William of Ockham should make the top 10.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 23, 2016, 03:17:31 PM
William of Ockham should make the top 10.

His razor suggests it is just because he lived so long ago. I bet Alfred the Great would have been #1 back in the 10th century.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2016, 03:26:58 PM
His razor suggests it is just because he lived so long ago. I bet Alfred the Great would have been #1 back in the 10th century.

Alfred's not a bad choice either.
Ockham is pretty important in both philosophy and political theory.  I'd flip your point around and argue his exclusion is due to recency bias.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 23, 2016, 03:58:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2016, 03:26:58 PM

Alfred's not a bad choice either.

I'd put Alfred on the list. Defeated the "hard pagan" Viking invaders (and helped at least some of them settle down to become civilized neighbors after beating 'em), helped re-invigorate basic literacy, founded many of what became English towns.

The trifecta of civilization (defense against barbarians, literacy, urbanism). Not a bad set of accomplishments.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Delirium

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2016, 03:23:53 PM

The English list?  :hmm:

Hey, I got a question:  Is Averroes considered a great Spaniard?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2016, 08:21:31 PM

No. And in my old textbooks they even cheekily tried to claim Trajan and Hadrian as kinda-Spanish, but no luck for dirty mooselimb thinkers.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 26, 2016, 01:42:33 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2016, 08:21:31 PM

No. And in my old textbooks they even cheekily tried to claim Trajan and Hadrian as kinda-Spanish, but no luck for dirty mooselimb thinkers.

Really? I seem to recall him being mentioned as one of the great figures of Al-Andalus.  :hmm:

The Minsky Moment

When I visited Cordoba they had a plaque and a little square commemorating Maimonides.  So there's that.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 26, 2016, 11:17:41 AM
When I visited Cordoba they had a plaque and a little square commemorating Maimonides.  So there's that.

Jewish though. :contract: We officially regret our nasty business with the Jews, but we don't officially regret kicking out the Muslims. So Jewish great men get plaques and squares, while Muslims get their severed heads in our heraldry.

Al-Andalus was absolutely glossed over when I went to school.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"