Who is the most revered person in your country's history?

Started by Syt, September 22, 2016, 03:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2016, 11:29:50 AM
I would have thought Luther's Jew hating would create issues.

For the US I'd go Lincoln, Washington, MLK.

Those guys are the big 3, no doubt.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 11:30:00 AM
In what sense was Einstein not a German?

He didn't want to be a German after 1933 anymore.

And his citizenship history is interesting anyway:

Subject of Kingdom of Württemberg during German Empire (1879–1896)
Stateless (1896–1901)
Citizen of Switzerland (1901–1955)
Austrian subject of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1911–1912)
Subject of the Kingdom of Prussia during German Empire (1914–1918), German citizen of the Free State of Prussia (Weimar Republic, 1918–1933)
Citizen of United States (1940–1955)

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on September 22, 2016, 11:32:55 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 11:30:00 AM
In what sense was Einstein not a German?

He didn't want to be a German after 1933 anymore.

Yeah but that is different.

I think DuBois eventually left and renounced the US, but we still consider him a great American. (Edit: ok the truth of that situation is rather more complicated but still)

Razgovory

The US founding fathers are really an exceptional bunch.  Two of them were genuine geniuses: Franklin and Hamilton.  Washington's character shocked the world.  The US also has the happy situation of being able to claim people from other countries as "Great Americans".  For instance, Zanza mentioned Einstein as a great German, but the US can also claim him since he left Germany to settle in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I am pretty sure the French claimed Marie Curie, even though she came from Poland.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 11:50:29 AM
I am pretty sure the French claimed Marie Curie, even though she came from Poland.

I just mentioned that earlier in this thread.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on September 22, 2016, 11:52:14 AM

I know. I was using that to dispute Raz's claim that this was something unique to the US.

HVC

Four countries claim Bell. He's that special:D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

Our list had Mozart, Freud, Kopernikus, and Kafka. It did not have Hitler.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 11:53:30 AM
Quote from: The Larch on September 22, 2016, 11:52:14 AM

I know. I was using that to dispute Raz's claim that this was something unique to the US.

Not unique, but the situation is most common in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Ben Franklin is one of those universally revered people I cannot stand.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 22, 2016, 12:25:16 PM
Ben Franklin is one of those universally revered people I cannot stand.

Long for those days back before electricity huh?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.