Greatest Military Commander Before the Industrial Age

Started by jimmy olsen, September 06, 2016, 02:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the reatest Military Commander Before the Industrial Age?

Alexander the Great
6 (20%)
Hannibal
2 (6.7%)
Scipio Africanus
0 (0%)
Qin Shi Huang
0 (0%)
Chandragupta Maurya
0 (0%)
Julius Caesar
4 (13.3%)
Belisarius
1 (3.3%)
Khalid the Sword
0 (0%)
Subutai
3 (10%)
Tamerlane
0 (0%)
Yi Sun Shin
1 (3.3%)
Gustavus Adolphus
0 (0%)
Fredrick the Great
2 (6.7%)
Nelson
3 (10%)
Napoleon
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: July 26, 2017, 02:15:55 AM

lustindarkness

I don't know who to vote for yet. Alexander the Great or Julius Caesar? :hmm:

How about Alexander Caesar or Julius the Great? :unsure:  :P
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 06, 2016, 10:14:25 AM
I don't know who to vote for yet. Alexander the Great or Julius Caesar? :hmm:

How about Alexander Caesar or Julius the Great? :unsure:  :P

http://www.candywrappermuseum.com/alex.html

:hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2016, 07:23:37 AM
I think I will go with Caesar. He was going up against the greatest army in the area at the time, other Romans, and always won usually against superior odds.
Wasn't it Octavian that fought and won most battles of the civil war?

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on September 06, 2016, 11:17:12 AM
I think I will go with Caesar. He was going up against the greatest army in the area at the time, other Romans, and always won usually against superior odds.

I was about to nominate Marcus Agrippa for that reason. Also qualifies as an Admiral too  :menace:

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on September 06, 2016, 11:17:12 AM

The one that was fought after Caesar was dead? No that was Agrippa. Nothing against Octavian, big fan, but he was no general.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Andrea Doria was cooler than Nelson. YOUNG PEOPLE SUCK

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 06, 2016, 09:52:16 AM
Admiral Yi - great leader hobbled by a devastating gambling addiction.

"All I ask is a water bong, and a karaoke mic to steer her by."

Delirium

Depends on level of military command. Strategic, operational or tactical genius?

If operational, my money is on Napoleon any day of the week. Yes, there are a few blemishes on his record on the strategic level (and the hundred days were a mess), but over the span of his 22-year career (Toulon to Waterloo) operationally he shines. He routinely put his army in positions to win the coming battles against superior opponents. Perhaps most importantly he may be the leader that has been scrutinized and vilified the most by his opponents. Perfect he ain't, but he was damned good.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

viper37

Oh Hell I don't know. The problem with guys like Frederick and Alexander is they got handed top notch military machines and then beat up on clearly inferior opponents.

in both cases, they pushed it a bit further.  Alexander's tacticts against the Scythes was unheard of at the time, and I don't think you'd see infantry advancing with artillery support until much later in time, when European armies had access to canons.
Alexander also inovated with his cavalry flanking manoeuvers, something not usually done.
And there's that battle in India where he had some of his troops march up&down the river to make it think he hadn't already crossed.

I say Alexander is the most impressive of the bunch I know of.  The asian guys, I don't know them very well, so I can't judge.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

If naval leaders were military rather than naval, i'd vote Yi.  As it is, i will restrict myself to the question and vote Napoleon.  Not only was he a great commander on the battlefield and in the field, he was a military innovator on a scale not matched by the others.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 06, 2016, 09:52:16 AM
Admiral Yi - great leader hobbled by a devastating gambling addiction.

I voted for Yi, give our hometown boy a chance.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point