News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The prison food and burkini ban dual thread

Started by Martinus, August 22, 2016, 08:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should prisons accomodate non-medical (i.e. cultural, religious or philosophical) dietary requests of inmates?

Always
6 (16.2%)
Yes, but only if this does not cause substially increased costs or hassle
23 (62.2%)
No
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 22, 2016, 09:49:32 AM
How is this problem dealt with in other institutional feeding situations like hospitals? Is it particularly onerous or difficult there? I have no idea.
private hospitals and schools will developp to offer such foods to their clients, for a price.
but the State has no business catering to the individual needs of each and every single religion or life philosophy on earth to suit everyone, especially in prisons.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on August 22, 2016, 10:29:48 AM
FWIW, while I definitely see the benefits in public healthcare, I think having a free cafeteria in a hospital is going too far.
The cafeteria isn't free.  Only the meals served to patients while they are hospitalized are free.  That's a big difference.  You don't like what you have and you want something more from the cafeteria, go for it, pay for it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2016, 12:38:42 PM
Hell, who can blame them? If *I* was in prison you can bet I would be working the system as best I can, and I would have zero concern about whether that was "reasonable" or not.

The Muslims get better food? Sign me up!

But since everything's better with bacon, we know this is just not true.

The real power is how much your commissary account is stocked with Little Debbies. And we're talking Oatmeal Creme Pies, not that weak ass Star Crunches bullshit.

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2016, 12:49:33 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on August 22, 2016, 12:36:24 PM
how many inmates do that, barrister?

this thread has had some generalizations of the inmate population

Shrug.

I have several friends and family members who are guards in prisons.

Anecdtoally, finding a prisoner interested in working the system is about as hard as finding one that is breathing at any particular moment.

Hell, who can blame them? If *I* was in prison you can bet I would be working the system as best I can, and I would have zero concern about whether that was "reasonable" or not.

Ah, so this it.  You are concerned Muslims are getting better food.  That is a big problem isn't it?

Yep, you've again figured me out.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: SeedyBut since everything's better with bacon, we know this is just not true.

Have you seen how much fucking bacon costs these days???

I don't think anyone is getting bacon at $2.25/day.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Somebody offers you their fruit cup, you belt that fucker with your tray.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2016, 11:48:59 AM
Maybe if you stopped railroading them in with shitty plea bargains, you wouldn't have to worry about an overly unhappy prison population, Crown Inquisitor.

I'll guess we'll never know then. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

LaCroix

Shrug.

Anecdtoally, finding a prisoner interested in working the system is about as hard as finding one that is breathing at any particular moment.

agree that if you polled prisoners with the question, "would you be interested in working the system if you could?" you'd probably find a majority saying yes. that's not what I was getting at, though.

CountDeMoney

Still trying to figure out how Muslims would get "better" food.  Do they have to get free trade shitty beans, as opposed to just regular shitty beans?

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2016, 01:35:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2016, 12:49:33 PM

Shrug.

Ah, so this it.  You are concerned Muslims are getting better food.  That is a big problem isn't it?

Yep, you've again figured me out.

Yup, he is so insightful.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2016, 10:43:49 AM
Keeping inmates "happy" is actually a major concern.  A happy inmate is less likely to stab a guard.  Also if you don't provide food that falls within the dietary restrictions of certain inmates you are going to face hunger strikes.

While I agree that we should try to prevent situations that lead one prisoner to stab a guard or another prisoner, I don't understand why we should care if someone goes on a hunger strike.  They wanna starve themselves, let 'em

The Brain

We didn't get to choose when I was in the army. My heart bleeds for prison inmates.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

More or less. Seems to me the easiest/cheapest way would be for all meat meals to be halal or kosher - plus vegetarian and, as needed, other halal/kosher options. So that choice can, I imagine, feed most of the population most of the time. Then occasionally have pork, maybe.

I'm not sure I see the point of sourcing three different types of beef, say, or chicken when non-Muslims/Jews can eat the halal/kosher beef with no issue.
Let's bomb Russia!