News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The prison food and burkini ban dual thread

Started by Martinus, August 22, 2016, 08:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should prisons accomodate non-medical (i.e. cultural, religious or philosophical) dietary requests of inmates?

Always
6 (16.2%)
Yes, but only if this does not cause substially increased costs or hassle
23 (62.2%)
No
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 22, 2016, 05:18:33 PM
More or less. Seems to me the easiest/cheapest way would be for all meat meals to be halal or kosher - plus vegetarian and, as needed, other halal/kosher options. So that choice can, I imagine, feed most of the population most of the time. Then occasionally have pork, maybe.

I'm not sure I see the point of sourcing three different types of beef, say, or chicken when non-Muslims/Jews can eat the halal/kosher beef with no issue.

Even if you completely disregard that some inmates may want to eat bacon (and non-halal, non-kosher food is generally cheaper), you have to also consider the supply side - why should my tax payer money be spent in a way that effectively pushes the non-halal non-kosher meat manufacturers out of the market, by curtailing their ability to sell their products to prisons and the like?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2016, 07:07:27 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 22, 2016, 05:18:33 PM
More or less. Seems to me the easiest/cheapest way would be for all meat meals to be halal or kosher - plus vegetarian and, as needed, other halal/kosher options. So that choice can, I imagine, feed most of the population most of the time. Then occasionally have pork, maybe.

I'm not sure I see the point of sourcing three different types of beef, say, or chicken when non-Muslims/Jews can eat the halal/kosher beef with no issue.

Even if you completely disregard that some inmates may want to eat bacon (and non-halal, non-kosher food is generally cheaper), you have to also consider the supply side - why should my tax payer money be spent in a way that effectively pushes the non-halal non-kosher meat manufacturers out of the market, by curtailing their ability to sell their products to prisons and the like?

I don't know why as a taxpayer that I would care at all. I think there are lot of other things that I'd probably care about that have more of an impact on myself and people I know when I think about tax revenue allocation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Well, tell that to a pig farmer who is suddenly out of job because a politically correct prison administration stops buying his produce because some criminal savage refuses to eat bacon cuz his moon god told him so.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2016, 07:23:24 AM
Well, tell that to a pig farmer who is suddenly out of job because a politically correct prison administration stops buying his produce because some criminal savage refuses to eat bacon cuz his moon god told him so.

Martinus, man of the people?

Presumably, btw, the prison wouldn't be buying excess bacon anyway given that they know certain inmates won't eat it. Even if you didn't want to offer alternative, no use buying more bacon than will actually be consumed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 07:30:25 AM

Presumably, btw, the prison wouldn't be buying excess bacon anyway given that they know certain inmates won't eat it. Even if you didn't want to offer alternative, no use buying more bacon than will actually be consumed.

That's true - my problem was with the Sheilbh's "great idea" of just stopping buying pork altogether and feeding chicken and beef to everyone.

Josquius

I don't think (I hope not anyway) that prisons are a huge income source for butchers.

Sheilbhs way makes sense. Serve halal meat usually, on days where you're serving pork or bacon then the halal option is the same as the veggie option.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2016, 07:34:43 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 07:30:25 AM

That's true - my problem was with the Sheilbh's "great idea" of just stopping buying pork altogether and feeding chicken and beef to everyone.
That wasn't my idea :lol:

Mine was, if you're not serving pork, then just use halal or kosher for everyone plus halal/kosher for Muslims/Jews to cut down on duplication and waste.

Also in the UK halal meat is normally significantly cheaper than non-halal. Plus obviously they should still have to operate on budget which is already possible.

Apparently this is actually what happens here. Chicken and beef etc are halal but they produce separate meals for vegans, veggies Jews and Rastas. Then when they're cooking pig they obviously produce separate halal meals for Muslims.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

A far superior range of options to what was on offer back in my boarding school days  :D

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 23, 2016, 08:16:52 AM
A far superior range of options to what was on offer back in my boarding school days  :D

A far superior range to what was on offer in Oxford dining halls a decade ago. <_<

Sheilbh

Meanwhile Sarko launches his campaign with a policy to ban non-pork meals in schools.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2016, 06:53:11 PM
Quote from: dps on August 22, 2016, 04:49:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2016, 10:43:49 AM
Keeping inmates "happy" is actually a major concern.  A happy inmate is less likely to stab a guard.  Also if you don't provide food that falls within the dietary restrictions of certain inmates you are going to face hunger strikes.

While I agree that we should try to prevent situations that lead one prisoner to stab a guard or another prisoner, I don't understand why we should care if someone goes on a hunger strike.  They wanna starve themselves, let 'em

Prisons are required by law to keep the inmates alive.  That's part of the deal.

Well, I wasn't talking just about prisoner hunger strikes;  I was also considering hunger strikes by political activists.  But as far as prisoners are concerned, how far does the law go in requiring the prison to keep them alive?  A mentally competent adult can refuse medical treatment, even if they are suffering from a condition which will be fatal if untreated, but can be treated with a high probability of success.  Do you lose the right to refuse treatment when you're in prison?

Beyond that, I'm suggesting that the law shouldn't require prisons to force feed a prisoner to keep them alive if the prisoner doesn't want to eat.

CountDeMoney

Bacon is used as currency on the inside.
It's true.

Strips, though.  Not that round Canadian shit.  That'll get you shanked.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2016, 12:21:26 PM
Bacon is used as currency on the inside.
It's true.

Strips, though.  Not that round Canadian shit.  That'll get you shanked.

Worse than Canadian bacon is the floppy, undercooked British bacon. :(

Josquius

British bacon is the only true bacon.
Its so hard to find real bacon abroad :(
██████
██████
██████