The prison food and burkini ban dual thread

Started by Martinus, August 22, 2016, 08:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should prisons accomodate non-medical (i.e. cultural, religious or philosophical) dietary requests of inmates?

Always
6 (16.2%)
Yes, but only if this does not cause substially increased costs or hassle
23 (62.2%)
No
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Martinus

Should prisons accomodate inmates who expect halal, kosher or vegetarian food?

Valmy

Within reason, sure. And hey the three examples you listed can all be satisfied with vegetarian food.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Mart and Tim should be fed Nutraloaf. Yum.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2016, 08:21:26 AM
Within reason, sure. And hey the three examples you listed can all be satisfied with vegetarian food.

Indeed.

Topic is probably a non-issue for all but the hang'un high brigade.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

LaCroix

voted always, but I took that to mean for legitimate diets only--no spaghetti 24/7

I think if the government seeks to lock away people, it should pay the appropriate costs. if it can't pay, reduce sentencing

Berkut

How do you handle the problem with people claiming dietary needs simply because they perceive that the special diets have better food?

What if they want to switch back and forth?

How do you tell someone you don't actually believe they are Jewish, for example?

Or do you just define a set of special diets, and let anyone partake of them as they wish, no matter the cost?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2016, 08:44:17 AM
How do you handle the problem with people claiming dietary needs simply because they perceive that the special diets have better food?

How do you tell someone you don't actually believe they are Jewish, for example?

Or do you just define a set of special diets, and let anyone partake of them as they wish, no matter the cost?

Hence my 'within reason' qualifier. There is always that person claiming the flying spaghetti monster forbids him from eating apricots on Thursdays.

But providing a vegetarian alternative is perfectly reasonable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2016, 08:49:24 AM

Hence my 'within reason' qualifier. There is always that person claiming the flying spaghetti monster forbids him from eating apricots on Thursdays.

What if the flying spaghetti monster forbids eating meat on Friday or during Lent?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 22, 2016, 09:01:49 AM
What if the flying spaghetti monster forbids eating meat on Friday or during Lent?

Well you have a vegetarian alternative. So the pasta gods will smile upon you.

Berkut

The problem is that prisoners, by and large, have no incentive to "be reasonable", so you need a system to handle the fact that they are going to try to exploit your "reasonable" accommodations, and then sue you when you reasonably tell them that you don't care what the flying spaghetti monster thinks about baked beans.

0 rows returned

alfred russel

I try to consume 100g of protein a day. I also avoid simple sugars and foods that are high in fat or otherwise greasy. I don't (often) eat red meat. I avoid white bread and pasta. I incorporate fresh fruits and vegetables into my daily diet.

Can I follow this diet? What if I get a doctor's note saying it is important for my health?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on August 22, 2016, 09:11:43 AM
I try to consume 100g of protein a day. I also avoid simple sugars and foods that are high in fat or otherwise greasy. I don't (often) eat red meat. I avoid white bread and pasta. I incorporate fresh fruits and vegetables into my daily diet.

Can I follow this diet? What if I get a doctor's note saying it is important for my health?

Indeed - in fact, I think 100% of prisoners in America could argue that their doctors would recommend a healthier diet than what they are going to get in prison.

Is that a special, and reasonable, accommodation? Please don't feed me crappy food?

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2016, 09:04:23 AM

The problem is that prisoners, by and large, have no incentive to "be reasonable", so you need a system to handle the fact that they are going to try to exploit your "reasonable" accommodations, and then sue you when you reasonably tell them that you don't care what the flying spaghetti monster thinks about baked beans.

Is that an overwhelming problem in the prison system today?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.