The Republican National Convention Megathread: Cleveland rocks!

Started by CountDeMoney, July 03, 2016, 05:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 20, 2016, 02:35:16 PM
Case Western Reserve University (located in Cleveland) has announced they will be providing a "safe space" on campus to protect students upset by the convention.

Huh? No way. Link?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Case Western Reserve University (located in Cleveland) has announced they will be providing a "safe space" on campus to protect students upset by the convention.

Stuff like that makes one almost understand what attracts the shallow minded to the Trumpian Republicans.

Thing is, much of this leftish silliness is annoying but basically harmless; while the right-wing populist silliness is downright dangerous.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2016, 02:42:32 PM

Huh? No way. Link?

Apparently this all came out last week, but it was just now on my news aggregator. I guess CWRU has made its residence halls available for out of town police (agencies all over the eastern United States are supplying officers to the convention since the security needs far exceed Cleveland PD's capacity.) This isn't too uncommon for a college to let out residence halls during breaks --it's currently the summer break, so only a small number of courses and university activities are ongoing, colleges often let out residence halls for various camps and other types of events since otherwise that space is basically unused.

From the local Cleveland paper link

QuoteCase Western Reserve University will essentially shut down during Republican National Convention

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Case Western Reserve University, under fire by students and faculty for housing police on campus during the Republican National Convention, has decided to hold no classes, summer camps or other activities on campus from July 18-21.

The action, announced late Monday, was taken to ease ongoing concerns over housing 1,700 police officers and 200 members of the Ohio National Guard during the four-day event, especially following last week's deaths of two black men by police in Louisiana and Minnesota and the killing of five Dallas police officers.

President Barbara Snyder held two forums on campus July 6 after students and faculty voiced concerns over housing the police.

Students wanted the university to require the officers to store their weapons off campus, for the officers to stay out of university-owned buildings that aren't their assigned residence halls, and for the university to provide alternative housing for students uncomfortable with the increased police presence.

Snyder sent out a campus-wide email Monday afternoon regarding the forums.

What did the email say?

"The deadly shootings last week in Louisiana, Minnesota and Texas have dramatically intensified our national conversation involving race, law enforcement and the best paths to justice, fairness and safety for all," she wrote.

She wrote that CWRU had agreed to house the officers at Cleveland's request and the city's officers have assisted campus police when needed.

But Snyder admitted that "in answering the city's convention request, we failed to give adequate consideration to the impact the decision would have on members of our community—in particular students staying in residence halls near the buildings housing the officers."

Snyder also apologized for her campus-wide email on June 24 urging everyone to not stereotype all police officers as violent or prejudiced.

"Nevertheless, given the current national context, I regret that I described such behavior as 'profiling,' and that I was not more careful with my language," she wrote Monday.

She wrote that officials were planning to take additional steps to enhance campus safety during the convention.

What else has the university said?

On Monday night CWRU posted an online notice titled "Changes to campus operations during RNC."

"Last week's tragedies have horrified us all and raised profound questions for our country," the notice said. "Amid our shock and grief, we also recognize that our city soon will host the Republican National Convention, an event that is expected to draw dozens of protests—and could see a significant degree of conflict."

Officials decided to reduce on-campus operations during the convention.

"In simplest terms, this decision means that every school and unit has been asked to minimize the number of people on campus, as well as the number of its campus buildings that are open,"  the notice said.

What's the plan for the week of the RNC?

Classes: Will likely be held off-campus.

Camps: Education camps for middle and high school students will not be held on campus.

Staff: Faculty are encouraged not to come to their office. Staff, after consulting with their supervisors, will likely work off-site as well.

Students: Students who live on campus will receive help in finding another place to stay during the convention.

Buildings: The library and Veale athletic and recreation center will be closed but the university center will remain open.

The university will offer counseling and support services and a "safe space" for those who want to express their concerns about housing police on campus and the convention.

What are other colleges doing?

Cleveland State University's campus will be open but classes will not be held on campus.

Cuyahoga Community College will close several buildings near the convention site. Classes at the Metropolitan Campus will be held off-site.

Admiral Yi

:lol:

For people incapable of turning off a TV or computer by themselves.

Valmy

I mean it makes sense to make some changes to accommodate a huge event like this taking place near campus but that is pretty pathetic. Universities should be teaching people how to think critically not pandering to every idiotic idea somebody has.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2016, 02:52:34 PM

:lol:

For people incapable of turning off a TV or computer by themselves.

Turning off ones computer for a week? That's a tall ask!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2016, 02:55:31 PM
I mean it makes sense to make some changes to accommodate a huge event like this taking place near campus but that is pretty pathetic. Universities should be teaching people how to think critically not pandering to every idiotic idea somebody has.

Whoa! I would have appreciated a trigger warning! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Or maybe growing some thicker skin?  Learning to tolerate other points of view?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 20, 2016, 02:59:07 PM

I'm not sure Trump has any points of view that should be tolerated.

Admiral Yi

Yeah, it's not so much about tolerance for wacko views as it is not having a nervous breakdown when someone espouses one.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 20, 2016, 03:01:02 PM

Ah, okay.  You're one of them, then.  Maybe we can set up a Safe Space on this forum for you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Quote from: derspiess on July 20, 2016, 03:03:51 PM

Ah, okay.  You're one of them, then.  Maybe we can set up a Safe Space on this forum for you.
Whoa.  Meta-trigger.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Wait this isn't already one?

Anyway, what Yi said.

garbon

Quote from: PDH on July 20, 2016, 03:08:23 PM

Whoa.  Meta-trigger.

I'm triggered by meta narratives.

derspiess