The Republican National Convention Megathread: Cleveland rocks!

Started by CountDeMoney, July 03, 2016, 05:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2016, 03:03:47 PM
Yeah, it's not so much about tolerance for wacko views as it is not having a nervous breakdown when someone espouses one.

I think in this case it's more a case of people reacting finding a bunch of policemen in their summer residence. Say you're a young non-white dude with strong views about police shootings, you might feel a little stressed out when go from living in a residence where 90% of the units are empty, to one which where 90% of the residences are filled with police.

So the issue - at least as expressed in the article - is not about being comfortable with different views as it is about (some) people being nervous about being around people who can kill them and - based on past history - get away with it.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2016, 04:55:11 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2016, 03:03:47 PM
Yeah, it's not so much about tolerance for wacko views as it is not having a nervous breakdown when someone espouses one.

I think in this case it's more a case of people reacting finding a bunch of policemen in their summer residence. Say you're a young non-white dude with strong views about police shootings, you might feel a little stressed out when go from living in a residence where 90% of the units are empty, to one which where 90% of the residences are filled with police.

So the issue - at least as expressed in the article - is not about being comfortable with different views as it is about (some) people being nervous about being around people who can kill them and - based on past history - get away with it.

I doubt a 'safe space' will help the situation much. Not sure counselling would help much either unless said counsellor could get one to tame one's fear by denying the reality of the danger posed by cops.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 20, 2016, 04:57:43 PM
I doubt a 'safe space' will help the situation much. Not sure counselling would help much either unless said counsellor could get one to tame one's fear by denying the reality of the danger posed by cops.

Counselling could help one tame one's fears by helping one understand why such fears of the police re overblown in this case.

What probably bothers the students more is the increased chance they will get caught in some minor lawbreaking (e.g. smoking pot).  The school should have, and should make sure the students know they have, an agreement with the cops that the cops will ignore petty bullshit while they are guests of Case.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2016, 04:55:11 PM
Say you're a young non-white dude with strong views about police shootings, you might feel a little stressed out when go from living in a residence where 90% of the units are empty, to one which where 90% of the residences are filled with police.

Well you probably are going to have a problem with a college campus in general. Not only do they have lots of University cops but local cops usually take a special interest in college students.

But in any case it is just a few days.

Of course I might mention that white people also get killed by police alot so I don't get the 'non-white' requirement. I get plenty stressed when surrounded by police myself.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

I can see the appeal of a safe space if the Republican Convention were taking place down the road. I'd even bring my own booze.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

I don't know, if the police occupy most units in my building, I'd feel...very safe.  The only downside is that I'll probably have to be very careful about things like speed limits when I drive, but otherwise there will be no problem from me. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 20, 2016, 05:46:32 PM
I can see the appeal of a safe space if the Republican Convention were taking place down the road. I'd even bring my own booze.

lol, 2,000 cops on campus and a few hundred National Guardsmen, between being pissed about being away from home and already jacked up with visions of 1968 Chicago dancing in their heads?  I'd want to get the fuck out of Dodge, too.

But Case's definition of a "safe space" could actually be an actual physical redoubt, considering the number of noodleheads from out of town with their guns, and what with rounds flying near campus already.

My sister and brother-in-law went to CWRU; it's a hoity-toity dork factory, probably more pissed that their STEM Supercamps were cancelled for the convention than having their feelings hurt by fascists.  It's not exactly a bastion of uberprogressive radical activism.  You negrohaters are probably thinking Cleveland State.  #BlackLivesSplatter

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Monoriu on July 20, 2016, 07:50:41 PM
I don't know, if the police occupy most units in my building, I'd feel...very safe.  The only downside is that I'll probably have to be very careful about things like speed limits when I drive, but otherwise there will be no problem from me.

Are you suggesting you own and drive a car in Hong Kong? I was under the impression that was only for the rich there.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 20, 2016, 07:54:20 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 20, 2016, 05:46:32 PM

lol, 2,000 cops on campus and a few hundred National Guardsmen, between being pissed about being away from home and already jacked up with visions of 1968 Chicago dancing in their heads?  I'd want to get the fuck out of Dodge, too.

But Case's definition of a "safe space" could actually be an actual physical redoubt, considering the number of noodleheads from out of town with their guns, and what with rounds flying near campus already.

My sister and brother-in-law went to CWRU; it's a hoity-toity dork factory, probably more pissed that their STEM Supercamps were cancelled for the convention than having their feelings hurt by fascists.  It's not exactly a bastion of uberprogressive radical activism.  You negrohaters are probably thinking Cleveland State.  #BlackLivesSplatter

I've actually walked the Cleveland State Campus (I was staying at a nearby hotel when Cleveland hosted the NCAA tourney in like 2006 or so; they played in CSU's arena instead of the Cav's), it's always nice when a dilapidated urban ghetto can build a college for itself.

Monoriu

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 20, 2016, 08:06:18 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 20, 2016, 07:50:41 PM

Are you suggesting you own and drive a car in Hong Kong? I was under the impression that was only for the rich there.

Then your impression is wrong :contract:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 20, 2016, 08:07:53 PM
it's always nice when a dilapidated urban ghetto can build a college for itself.

Yes, and they're very articulate.

derspiess

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 20, 2016, 08:07:53 PM
I've actually walked the Cleveland State Campus (I was staying at a nearby hotel when Cleveland hosted the NCAA tourney in like 2006 or so; they played in CSU's arena instead of the Cav's), it's always nice when a dilapidated urban ghetto can build a college for itself.

Best basketball game I ever attended.  Big upset win for WVU, 2OT, Gansey had the game of his life.  Chris Paul's last college game as well.  I knew it was over for Wake when he fouled out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall