The Republican National Convention Megathread: Cleveland rocks!

Started by CountDeMoney, July 03, 2016, 05:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Yes I tuned in just in time to see Ben Carson accuse Clinton of devil worship.
If the goal is to make republicans feel better about Trump's nomination, it was a wild success.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

There needs to be an emoticon for a zombie Saul Alinsky rolling his eyes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

sbr

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 19, 2016, 09:54:36 PM
If the goal is to make republicans feel better about Trump's nomination, it was a wild success.

It's nice to see that my Twitter isn't exaggerating things and tonight is as crazy as it seems.

mongers

Quote from: sbr on July 19, 2016, 10:06:53 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 19, 2016, 09:54:36 PM

It's nice to see that my Twitter isn't exaggerating things and tonight is as crazy as it seems.

So those social media tweet/facebook images someone posted in the other thread were real?  :wacko:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

This is brilliant spin. All of it. Or maybe it's just really stupid. :hmm:

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

And the Hillary hate going on is terrifying. They're riling up people who probably all own more than one gun.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

It's not totally clear from that falling on her sword note whether The Melania said over the phone "I'm now reading Michelle Obama's speech" or whether she said "here are some brilliant lines I came up with that you should include in the speech."

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2016, 12:17:56 PM
It's not totally clear from that falling on her sword note whether The Melania said over the phone "I'm now reading Michelle Obama's speech" or whether she said "here are some brilliant lines I came up with that you should include in the speech."

I don't think that was the important part. The important parts were "no harm was meant" and "I apologize for the confusion and hysteria [the] mistake has caused."

I mean, what more could people want?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2016, 12:24:53 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2016, 12:20:00 PM

A coherent cover story.

Seems to me that coherency is not a primary strength of the GOP presidential campaign at this point.

merithyn

Third Eye Blind openly trolled the RNC. :lol:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/third-eye-blind-troll-republicans-at-cleveland-fundraiser-w429964

QuoteThird Eye Blind trolled an audience filled with Republican National Convention attendees during a charity concert at Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Tuesday night, with singer Stephan Jenkins continually blasting the GOP and antagonizing the crowd with remarks like, "Raise your hand if you believe in science."

Although the Musicians on Call fundraiser, a nonprofit that brings live and recorded music to the bedsides of patients in healthcare facilities, wasn't officially affiliated with the RNC, the RIAA, who sponsored the charity event, made it clear that the gala was tied to the Donald Trump victory party down the street, and many of those in attendance were members of the Republican Party.

Knowing his audience, Jenkins used the microphone to condemn Republican ideology and perform a set list that refrained from playing any Third Eye Blind hits. At one point, after someone in the audience loudly booed the band, Jenkins responded, "You can boo all you want, but I'm the motherfucking artist up here," Cleveland.com reports.

The one Nineties hit Third Eye Blind did play was "Jumper," a song inspired by the suicide of Jenkins' gay friend. The singer prefaced the performance by telling the crowd, "To love this song is to take into your heart the message and to actually have the feeling to arrive and move forward and not live your life in fear [not] imposing that fear on other people."
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

alfred russel

I really think this sort of nonsense story is highly effective cover for the massive stories Trump has lurking in his background.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Now I am jealous that  I wasn't there. I like many of these non hit songs. :(

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2016, 12:20:00 PM

I don't think that was the important part. The important parts were "no harm was meant" and "I apologize for the confusion and hysteria [the] mistake has caused."

I mean if they were a normal political campaign I'd imagine that the Trump camp would be quite happy that this faux-controversy distracted from the seven shades of batshit that's been going on at the rest of the convention.

But I really don't know....
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Case Western Reserve University (located in Cleveland) has announced they will be providing a "safe space" on campus to protect students upset by the convention.