News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jesus' Wife?

Started by Jacob, June 16, 2016, 10:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Interesting article in the Atlantic about a Coptic manuscript mentioning "Jesus' wife". Thought it might be of interest to some languishers.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/the-unbelievable-tale-of-jesus-wife/485573/

The Brain

Didn't click since it's unbelievable.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

It's a very interesting article.  I had read it before Jake posted it here.

It's not really a story of ancient Christianity - it's a story of trying to track down the provenance of the papyrus scrap, which leads to 1980s East Germany.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

There exists an large body of ancient Jesus literature aside from the canonical and even non-canonical gospels.  Including amusing stories about his childhood exploits.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

There is apocrypha stating that Jesus was married as well as apocrypha stating he was gay.  Of course, that doesn't make any of it true. :sleep:

I've always assumed Jesus was married because he was a rabbi and apparently very charismatic, and rabbis are supposed to be married.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

"University of Eastern Pee-Pee Land"

:lol:

So, I take it that the author believes it was a forgery.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on June 16, 2016, 12:28:04 PM

Seems the conclusion, yes.

It's an interesting cast of characters and a nice piece of investigation.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on June 16, 2016, 12:34:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 16, 2016, 12:28:04 PM

Seems the conclusion, yes.

It's an interesting cast of characters and a nice piece of investigation.

Yeah, the guy did the leg work.  That's becoming so rare these days.  I had a bad feeling when he started with internet searches, but was happy to read that he went to meet these people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

It would make me sad to think that Jesus had a mother in law :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on June 16, 2016, 11:55:40 AM
I've always assumed Jesus was married because he was a rabbi and apparently very charismatic, and rabbis are supposed to be married.

Yup.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Rabbis were not really a thing back then though. I mean not as an institution. He was a member, and eventual leader, of a weird millennialist cult so we cannot assume he had some kind of conventional life. Also it seems likely he was the son of an unmarried mother, with several half-brothers and sisters, and came from a class of landless laborers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2016, 02:23:30 PM
Rabbis were not really a thing back then though. I mean not as an institution. He was a member, and eventual leader, of a weird millennialist cult
Was he?  Or did the cult develop around him after his death?  I'm not sure if it's entirely clear that he claimed to be the son of God, or the Messiah, or something else, or nothing.  I think it's only proven that others made these claims about him.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 16, 2016, 02:36:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2016, 02:23:30 PM
Rabbis were not really a thing back then though. I mean not as an institution. He was a member, and eventual leader, of a weird millennialist cult
Was he?  Or did the cult develop around him after his death?  I'm not sure if it's entirely clear that he claimed to be the son of God, or the Messiah, or something else, or nothing.  I think it's only proven that others made these claims about him.

I don't think he claimed to be those things. I think he was a 'be just to the poor and the downtrodden you rich hypocritical bastards' in the Old Testament tradition combined with a claim that the Kingdom of God had come in some metaphysical sense. The reason I think this is because the ONLY common event in the four gospels is the incident at the Temple in Jerusalem, so one must assume that if he existed this must have been the most famous and well known incident.

The cult I am referring to is the one led by John the Baptist, the one whose leadership he assumed after John was killed. Presuming you believe that story. I do because the gospels have to do some gymnastics to explain why Jesus would be the follower of somebody else. Since it is a problem they have to address I assume it was common knowledge.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Oh, I see.  Gotcha.

The Brain

(((Jesus))) was the son of God. I don't think (((He))) kept quiet about that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.