News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jesus' Wife?

Started by Jacob, June 16, 2016, 10:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2016, 02:23:30 PM
Rabbis were not really a thing back then though. I mean not as an institution. He was a member, and eventual leader, of a weird millennialist cult so we cannot assume he had some kind of conventional life. Also it seems likely he was the son of an unmarried mother, with several half-brothers and sisters, and came from a class of landless laborers.

The Pharisees were basically the sect that had 'rabbis'. They may not have yet been called "rabbis", but the core notions were the same: interpretation of the laws by 'teachers' or 'sages', who interpret an 'oral Torah' to illuminate/interpret the 'written Torah'.

They contrasted with the ' Sadducees' who rejected an 'oral Torah', and concentrated on the written text alone. Modern Judaism descends from the Pharisees in a pretty direct line.

There is no reason to suspect that a core belief of Judaism - than people are supposed to get married - was any different then. Christianity inherited its anti-sexual animus from Gnostic notions that were around at the time, among Greeks more than among Jews (the notion that the spirit is good and the body is bad): there was a sect of Jews who may have believed such things - the Essenes - but there is no evidence Jesus was an Essene: he certainly did not act like one (the Essenes appeared to be a sort of communist religious community living apart from others).

It is more likely Jesus was an offshoot of the Pharisees. The Pharisees were the "popular" party (as opposed to the Sadducees, who were a priestly elite). The Pharisees believed in following the teachings of individual 'sages' or 'teachers', which is how Jesus presented himself. Many of Jesus' teachings echo those of the Pharisees.  The disparaging references in the Gospels to Pharisees as rules-mongers appears to be in the context of arguing down rivals within the same community.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Hey I am not saying he didn't have a wife. Only that it is possible he had bottom rung social status, the possibility that his parents do not seem to have been married, and his possible association with a weird cult mean that we cannot assume he did what was expected from a respectable Jew at the time. I don't think he was a sage in the sense he was some kind of expert on the law. But could have been. Who knows?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2016, 02:56:10 PM
Hey I am not saying he didn't have a wife. Only that it is possible he had bottom rung social status, the possibility that his parents do not seem to have been married, and his possible association with a weird cult mean that we cannot assume he did what was expected from a respectable Jew at the time. I don't think he was a sage in the sense he was some kind of expert on the law. But could have been. Who knows?

The Gospels claim he was, and go out of their way to show him confounding the "experts in the law" of the day with his learning. See: Luke 10:25, and the Parable of the Good Samaritan.

QuoteOn one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Happy Jesus' wife, happy eternal life.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2016, 02:56:10 PM

He seems to have attracted a group of followers, some of them female, who were willing to follow him despite social convention. Why not marry one, if there was no religious reason not to? Other weird cult leaders have had no problem with that ... the difficulty for them is to stop at marrying one;)

lustindarkness

Quote from: Jacob on June 16, 2016, 12:34:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 16, 2016, 12:28:04 PM
"University of Eastern Pee-Pee Land"

:lol:

So, I take it that the author believes it was a forgery.

Seems the conclusion, yes.

It's an interesting cast of characters and a nice piece of investigation.

Yes, and well written. The more he investigated the more real life gave him some good Hollywood worthy twists and turns too. Crazy.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 16, 2016, 03:16:29 PM
The Gospels claim he was, and go out of their way to show him confounding the "experts in the law" of the day with his learning. See: Luke 10:25, and the Parable of the Good Samaritan.

Sometimes he is an expert on the law. Other times he is the defier of the law. Depends on what the point the Gospels were trying to make.

QuoteHe seems to have attracted a group of followers, some of them female, who were willing to follow him despite social convention. Why not marry one, if there was no religious reason not to? Other weird cult leaders have had no problem with that ... the difficulty for them is to stop at marrying one.  ;)

I was addressing the convention that Rabbis were expected to marry. I was merely saying he was not a typical guy so those kinds of expectations may not have applied. Indeed he might have had mass orgies for all I know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2016, 03:43:21 PM

Sometimes he is an expert on the law. Other times he is the defier of the law. Depends on what the point the Gospels were trying to make.

QuoteHe seems to have attracted a group of followers, some of them female, who were willing to follow him despite social convention. Why not marry one, if there was no religious reason not to? Other weird cult leaders have had no problem with that ... the difficulty for them is to stop at marrying one.  ;)

I was addressing the convention that Rabbis were expected to marry. I was merely saying he was not a typical guy so those kinds of expectations may not have applied. Indeed he might have had mass orgies for all I know.

The convention isn't just for Rabbis, but for all adult Jews. Rabbis were simply held to that convention (as to all others) more stringently, because they are supposed to set an example. 

Celibacy in Judaism is, basically, considered really weird for adults. Not a desirable state of affairs at all.  Paul, of course, held that it was - and in doing so, he went against all Jewish precedent.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 16, 2016, 04:09:27 PM
Celibacy in Judaism is, basically, considered really weird for adults. Not a desirable state of affairs at all.  Paul, of course, held that it was - and in doing so, he went against all Jewish precedent.

Well yeah God ordered you people to be fruitful and multiply. Yet I see less than 10 children Malthus.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2016, 06:10:56 PM

Well yeah God ordered you people to be fruitful and multiply. Yet I see less than 10 children Malthus.

Was god specific about the factor of multiplication?

Berkut

You say that like the characteristics of Jesus were just something made up by the writers to serve some particular purpose. What a silly notion!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on June 16, 2016, 07:52:58 PM

You say that like the characteristics of Jesus were just something made up by the writers to serve some particular purpose. What a silly notion!

Yeah. That was how stories were told back then. Look at how the Roman Emperors were described by their historians. They are usually given characteristics to communicate their opinion on the Emperor rather than something that person might have actually had.

So when you are studying a particular historical (or possibly historical) person you have to keep that in mind.

I don't think it was necessarily dishonest or anything it was just the literary style at the time.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on June 16, 2016, 06:13:30 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2016, 06:10:56 PM

Was god specific about the factor of multiplication?

No, he was vague. So the traditional interpretation is just to multiply as much as possible just to be safe.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on June 16, 2016, 07:52:58 PM

There are faster ways to kill yourself then to create fictional character that offends local authorities so they saw you in half, or behead you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Of course he's married. His wife helps him run the taco truck.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help