Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It's the old west all over again! :w00t:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31683427/ns/us_news-life/
QuoteArizona approves bill allowing guns in bars
Critics of the measure say guns and alcohol are dangerous combination

AP
updated 2 hours, 57 minutes ago

PHOENIX - The Arizona Senate has given final approval to a bill that would allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry a gun into a business that serves alcohol.

The 19-8 vote completes legislative action on the bill and sends it to Republican Gov. Jan Brewer. She has not said whether she will sign it, but she has long been a supporter of gun rights.

The measure has pitted powerful groups representing gun and bar owners against each other, sparking a debate about whether guns and alcohol can coexist without bloodshed.

Critics of the measure say guns and alcohol are a dangerous combination.

"We don't let people drink and drive, why should we let them drink and carry guns?" said Sen. Paula Aboud, D-Tucson, who voted against the bill.

Supporters say they should be able to protect themselves and their families even if they happen to be inside a business serving alcohol.

"It's very important that criminals are now afraid rather than law abiding citizens," said Sen. Jack Harper, R-Surprise, the bill's sponsor.

The measure would ban drinking while packing and allow restaurants to deny entry to gun-toting citizens by posting a sign next to their liquor license.

The bill initially required that a bar serving alcohol also serve food, but that provision was removed at the request of bar owners who worried about uncertainty over which bars have kitchens.

Forty other states have approved similar measures, according to the National Rifle Association.

Former Gov. Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, vetoed a similar bill earlier this decade that would not have required people to have concealed weapons permits in order to carry guns in bars.

More than 127,000 Arizonans have concealed weapons permits, which require a gun safety course and background check, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Phillip V

It's very important that criminals are now afraid rather than law abiding citizens.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

People that go to bars deserve to be shot anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

Good idea...

I wonder, I'm thinking that in the Old West in many places guns were not allowed in bars, or cowboys/others weren't even allowed to carry their guns into town; had to drop them off at the edge of town before entering. I seem to remember reading about that kind of thing. Besides, I think the Old West is a bit overly "romanticized".

The Brain

I think it's fair to say that in the Old West men always trusted Judge Colt and his jury of six to settle any and all disputes by way of a triggernometry test. Not wearing guns in town sounds like a myth. They might as well have not worn pants.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on July 01, 2009, 02:10:58 PM
Can we shoot the pianist this time round?

Better hurry, Charles Aznavour is getting up there in years.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Forwards not back! You're under Obama now damn you, you're supposed to suddenly start acting European! :angry:
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on July 01, 2009, 05:57:23 PM
Forwards not back! You're under Obama now damn you, you're supposed to suddenly start acting European! :angry:
Isn't that backwards though?  The total lack of vigour amongst European peoples is just fine over there, but it would have terrible results if it were applied in America.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

When i lived in Arizona ~20 years ago they didn't sell booze on election day while the polls were still open.   :huh:

Lettow77

Saying 'The old west may be a bit romanticised' is a pretty risky statement. Really pushing the envelope with such edgy analysis.

The law, though, is a good one. Tennessee recently did something similar.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on July 01, 2009, 10:08:28 PM
Saying 'The old west may be a bit romanticised' is a pretty risky statement. Really pushing the envelope with such edgy analysis.

:lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

And that is good because...?

sbr

Quote from: Neil on July 01, 2009, 10:22:48 PM
And that is good because...?
Tennessee doing it sounds like a reason for anyone else to NOT do it.