Main Menu

My city in the news

Started by DGuller, July 16, 2009, 11:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I still like it better than NYC.
Quote5 Police Officers Shot and 2 Suspects Killed in Jersey City Melee
By LIZ ROBBINS
A chaotic predawn shootout outside a Jersey City apartment building between a shotgun-wielding suspect and the police left five officers wounded — two critically, including one shot in the face — and two suspects dead, according to the Jersey City mayor, Jerramiah Healy, who spoke at a news conference in Jersey City.

Five police officers were taken to New Jersey Medical Center with gunshot wounds in what Mayor Healy called a "terrible gunfight," and several others sustained injuries relating to the fight.

The officer who had been shot in the face had no signs of life when he was brought in, officials said, but was revived, said doctors at the Jersey City Medical Center. He remained in extremely critical condition.

The other police officer in critical condition was hit in the neck and was in surgery.

Of the other officers injured, one was hit in the vest, another in the arm, and another was grazed in the leg by a bullet and already released.

Gunfire erupted just after 5 a.m. outside an apartment on 24 Reed Street near Bergen Avenue, where the two suspects had already been under investigation by the police. According to another Jersey City law official who requested anonymity, the two people dead are suspected of conducting a robbery in Jersey City with shotguns in June.

One of the suspects had come out of the apartment carrying a shotgun and ammunition and "ready for war," said the Jersey City police chief, Tom Comey, and when the police officers approached him, the suspect opened fired.

The suspect retreated into the apartment, and the officers called for emergency backup. About an hour later, with building evacuated, a team of heavily armed emergency service officers went in, and the shootout erupted. The police chief said at least one shotgun blast was fired through a wall or door.

"These individuals were sought by our department," Chief Comey said. "This individual came to us fully ready to go to war with us. That weapon was meant to hunt nothing other than men."

Viking

I tremble with fear that CdM might start a thread like this.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Pfft, Baltimore got nothing on Jersey City.  A month ago, some guy got shot twice with shotgun while being robbed, and staggered onto the street (possibly by the same couple that was shot by police today).  Jersey City drivers driving around the wounded guy remained unfazed, and drove on by unimpressed.

KRonn

This was a nasty event. Five officers wounded; hope they all recover.

Neil

That's what you get for allowing folks to own firearms.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on July 16, 2009, 08:47:08 PM

Criminals always find weapons.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on July 17, 2009, 12:19:11 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 16, 2009, 08:47:08 PM

Criminals always find weapons.
If anyone would know, I suppose you would, Mr. War Criminal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.