Arizona approves bill allowing guns in bars

Started by jimmy olsen, July 01, 2009, 02:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on July 17, 2009, 09:58:12 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 17, 2009, 09:30:59 AM
When I got hired here the HR director was doing a dumb orientation thingy and pointed that out.  He followed his comment with "even though it's legal, we politely and respectfully ask you to leave your firearms at home."  :lol:

I'm not allowed to bring firearms to work. :(

I'll take two to work next week to make up for it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 17, 2009, 02:21:29 PM

I'll take two to work next week to make up for it.

Don't bring your guns to town, Ed :alberta:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2009, 02:43:38 AM
Amusing Colbert skit about the same law in Tennessee:
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/238642/july-15-2009/difference-makers---doug-jackson

Now this is an eye opener -

QuoteAmerica's founding fathers were students of history and human nature and understood that all government eventually leads to tyranny, and that the only antidote was a well-armed populace ("milita" as the term was understood at the time). TN Senator Doug Jackson understands that gun control anywhere leads to gun control everywhere. What happens with gun control? In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million peaceful citizens who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated. China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 innocents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

Do some people really think that way in America?

garbon

All Americans are created equal in the eyes of God. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2009, 03:29:32 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2009, 02:43:38 AM
Amusing Colbert skit about the same law in Tennessee:
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/238642/july-15-2009/difference-makers---doug-jackson

Now this is an eye opener -

QuoteAmerica’s founding fathers were students of history and human nature and understood that all government eventually leads to tyranny, and that the only antidote was a well-armed populace (“milita” as the term was understood at the time). TN Senator Doug Jackson understands that gun control anywhere leads to gun control everywhere. What happens with gun control? In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million peaceful citizens who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated. China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 innocents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

Do some people really think that way in America?

Yes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Governments are dangerous and crappy.  But a random stranger with a gun is even worse. 

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2009, 05:02:38 PM
Governments are dangerous and crappy.  But a random stranger with a gun is even worse.

Not if you have a gun too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 17, 2009, 05:21:47 PM

This is the kind of situation where statistics are more useful than theorizing.  I live in a city of 7 million with (by US standards) very strict gun controls.  Basically no one outside the police and the military has guns. 

Last year there were around 50 murders.  Number of armed bank robberies were in the single digits. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2009, 05:25:59 PM
This is the kind of situation where statistics are more useful than theorizing.  I live in a city of 7 million with (by US standards) very strict gun controls.  Basically no one outside the police and the military has guns. 

Last year there were around 50 murders.  Number of armed bank robberies were in the single digits. 

Ok?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

You live in a military dictatorship, Mono.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 17, 2009, 06:16:47 PM

You live in a military dictatorship, Mono.

1. It was like that when we were a British colony as well.
2. Gun control is not a political issue in HK at all.  There is almost universal support for the current gun laws.  Even if we become an instant democracy, the gun laws will not change. 
3. I really don't feel like living in a military dictatorship  ;)

Siege

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 17, 2009, 05:21:47 PM

Not fair. Honkonians don't need weapons. They flip in the air and kill 10 guys with one kick.
Besides, they can also dodge bullets, which makes owning firearms pretty pointless.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2009, 06:21:15 PM

Which is why you are content to live there...and that's really a triumph of government, no? When the government can convince you that things are at least decent if not good.

Siege

It seems asians have a higher tolerance for injustice than westerners.

How far do you have to push asians for them to rebel?
You take their freedom and they don't rebel.
What about food? That's the basic human need. Would they rebel if they are hungry?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2009, 06:30:41 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2009, 06:21:15 PM

Which is why you are content to live there...and that's really a triumph of government, no? When the government can convince you that things are at least decent if not good.

Well, good governance is the object, no? If we have that, does it matter how the government is formed?