Breaking News - Attack On UK Politican, MP Murdered.

Started by mongers, June 16, 2016, 08:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36550304

MP injured amid shooting reports
16 June 2016

An MP has been injured following reports of shooting and stabbing in Birstall, West Yorkshire.

Unconfirmed reports suggest Jo Cox, Labour MP for Batley and Spen, was shot and stabbed. A man was also thought to have been stabbed.

It is understood the MP was holding a surgery at Birstall Library before the attack.

She was taken by air ambulance to Leeds General Infirmary. Armed police are said to be outside the hospital.

Or more probably an attack by a deranged elector though we've had politically motivated assaults on MPs in their constituency before.

Hope she's OK and might be a good time to remember that MPs do face heightened risks being the public figures they are.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

They are pretty vulnerable when they hold their surgeries, I remember Chris Mullin going on about it in his diaries.

Could be anything really, no details about the perpetrator yet, apart from being male that is..............we really should ban those chaps.

mongers

Not looking so good for the MP, above page has been updated:

An MP is in a critical condition after suffering serious injuries in an apparent shooting and stabbing attack in her constituency.

Unconfirmed reports suggest Jo Cox, Labour MP for Batley and Spen, was shot and stabbed. A man also suffered slight injuries.

A 52-year-old man was arrested near Market Street, Birstall, West Yorkshire Police said.

The MP was taken by air ambulance to Leeds General Infirmary.

Armed police are outside the hospital.

It is understood the MP was holding a surgery at Birstall Library before the attack.

An eyewitness said the 41-year-old mother of two was left lying and bleeding on the pavement after the incident.

Eyewitness Hithem Ben Abdallah, 56, was in a cafe next door to the library shortly after 1pm when he heard screaming and went outside.

"There was a guy who was being very brave and another guy with a white baseball cap who he was trying to control and the man in the baseball cap suddenly pulled a gun from his bag".

After a brief scuffle, he said the man stepped back and the MP became involved.

Mr Abdallah said the weapon had "looked handmade" and a man who had been wrestling with the gunman continued even after seeing the gun.

He said: "The man stepped back with the gun and fired it and then he fired a second shot, as he was firing he was looking down at the ground."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 16, 2016, 08:26:31 AM
They are pretty vulnerable when they hold their surgeries, I remember Chris Mullin going on about it in his diaries.

Could be anything really, no details about the perpetrator yet, apart from being male that is..............we really should ban those chaps.
Was it Stephen Timms who was stabbed recently?
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2016, 08:44:01 AM

Yes, but a few year ago now, wasn't that done by that islamist woman?

jimmy olsen

Hold their surgeries? At a library?  I don't think I've come across this Britishism before. :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on June 16, 2016, 08:48:09 AM

Sorry I didn't mean recently.

This is awful. Hope it reminds everyone these people are still human. I hate the trend of treating every MP with utter contempt (and, if you're on TV getting a big cheer for it) :(
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Seeing the below bandied about online. If true, sounds like BNP type nutter?

Quote'an attack by a man who shouted "Britain first"'
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

We had an assault on an MP and former minister yesterday. I guess it was fortunate that he was only hit in the face and not stabbed or anything.

There's a worrying trend, no MPs can live without threats online (vocal female MPs are threaten several times a day by phone/twitter/etc). It's very sad.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 16, 2016, 09:02:57 AM
See the below bandied about online. If true, sounds lie BNP type nutter?

Quote'an attack by a man who shouted "Britain first"'
Britain First is a far right group here.

Cox has been campaigning for remain and also worked a lot on the Syria civil war.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 16, 2016, 08:50:09 AM

Hold their surgeries? At a library?  I don't think I've come across this Britishism before. :unsure:

The MP goes to a public building, such as a library, and anyone can go and talk to them about their concerns (usually political in nature of course). I guess they are called surgeries because the experience is rather similar to visiting one's GP. You wait for your turn then have a one-to-one meeting with your MP.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on June 16, 2016, 09:05:10 AM
We had an assault on an MP and former minister yesterday. I guess it was fortunate that he was only hit in the face and not stabbed or anything.

There's a worrying trend, no MPs can live without threats online (vocal female MPs are threaten several times a day by phone/twitter/etc). It's very sad.
Yeah. The abuse female MPs get online is absolutely disgraceful. Stella Creasy and Jess Philips spring to mind.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2016, 08:57:40 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 16, 2016, 08:48:09 AM

Sorry I didn't mean recently.

This is awful. Hope it reminds everyone these people are still human. I hate the trend of treating every MP with utter contempt (and, if you're on TV getting a big cheer for it) :(

Oh I wasn't going all languish on you for violating the definition of a word.

That's a well made point you remind us of.

Sheilbh

Picture apparently of the man being held down by the police: podgy, pale and shaved head. Wouldn't be surprised if he did shout it....
Let's bomb Russia!