News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass killing in Orlando gay nightclub

Started by Malicious Intent, June 12, 2016, 06:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 15, 2016, 10:15:33 AM
Neither France nor the US has much moral authority to stand on in terms of accusing the other of problems with race and ethnicity.  This kind of nationalist trash talking has its amusements but it's pointless and just plays into the hands of the bad guys.  European countries have their problems, we (Americans) have ours, they both need to be fixed

I agree.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 15, 2016, 05:39:09 PM
Noticed something.  After the San Bernadino shootings a lot of my Facebook friends (in particular the conservative friends) put up an American flag overlay.  None have done this for the Orlando murders.

On related note, the Cole County refused to lower the flags as a sign of respect, until a resident (who to be honest is nuts) attended the committed meeting and demanded it.  They still staid no, so he walked out and lower the flag himself and sat in front of it all day so nobody would raise back up.  Eventually they gave in and have lower the flag at half-staff.

I had a few who did that for the Orlando victims, but not many.  One confused gal asked why everyone isn't doing that this time.  Seeing a lot of rainbow overlays though. 

I don't do overlays, like I don't do ribbons, bumper stickers, etc.  Too showy for my tastes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 15, 2016, 08:51:30 PM
Derspeiss is now an avid follower of Milo, presumably because "he makes the right people angry", which could be said of Kim Jung Un or the guy who just killed all those people in Orlando.

Yeah, but Milo is also entertaining, and AFAIK has not killed anyone.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Siege on June 16, 2016, 09:48:48 AM
Ok. Who the hell is Milo?

He's the one Languish doesn't want you to know about.  Go-- seek him out!!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

A writer at Beitbart.  Martinus likes him.  You probably would too.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

A right wing online pundit. He has managed to persuade Marty to align with Trump politically, so you might find him worthwhile.

The Minsky Moment

marti's dark, curly-haired crush of the month.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

And now the UK might finds itself in a similar situation, a violent gun outrage could leave politician and commentators struggling to explain or define events  and perhaps making political capital out of a tragedy?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: derspiess on June 16, 2016, 08:13:51 AM
I don't do overlays, like I don't do ribbons, bumper stickers, etc.  Too showy for my tastes.
I've found that almost every single person who put up the French overlay after the Paris attacks to be right wing.  Strange but true.  Whenever I see the overlay or see it in someone's past profile pictures, I can usually find all kinds of the typical Conservative memes and talking points on their page.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 16, 2016, 01:44:26 PM
I've found that almost every single person who put up the French overlay after the Paris attacks to be right wing.  Strange but true.  Whenever I see the overlay or see it in someone's past profile pictures, I can usually find all kinds of the typical Conservative memes and talking points on their page.

I put up the French overlay after Paris.  And while I never post political stuff on FB, I am pretty conservative.

I'd put up a rainbow overlay if FB had made a similarly-easy way to do so.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 16, 2016, 01:44:26 PM

I saw plenty of lefty liberal type people on my FB with the French overlay back when it was topical, and a fair number of middle of the road types too.

celedhring

Yeah, I haven't seen any kind of ideological bent to the use of those overlays. I never use them myself, though.