Carl Pics Thread (Usual Garbon Warning)

Started by Malthus, July 01, 2009, 11:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

And worked my way up to small bushes. Too bad we Mexican't are such pygmies, if we were taller you all wouldnt have to invest in those picking machines. RIGHT RIGHT?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on September 28, 2009, 04:06:56 PM
Dang, Carl is getting big.  At which age exactly is it you can start making them do physical work?  :shifty:

Hey, I already have him pumping water.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Jaron on September 28, 2009, 04:11:44 PM
And worked my way up to small bushes. Too bad we Mexican't are such pygmies, if we were taller you all wouldnt have to invest in those picking machines. RIGHT RIGHT?

I like this.  How about I just pay you to insult yourself, and save myself the work? :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Found another couple - Mushroom hunting:

The trove:

We taught Carl to never pick the Amanita species (Muscaria, or the "fly killer", or Phalloides, the "Death Angel"). 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2009, 09:28:21 AM
Can we have a picture of the Death Angel?

For obvious reasons, we didn't pick one: it is *highly* deadly, the poision can be absorbed through the skin, it leads to an excrutiating death and there is no antidote (though the possibility of major organ transplantation has lead to a great decrease in fatality). Basically, it tastes yummy, but if you eat even a small amount it rots your organs (particularly your liver) irreversibly, leading to a horrible death in a couple of weeks.

Sadly, I neglected to take a pic of it. However, it isn't uncommon.

Here's the Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides

Here they call it the 'Death Cap", but I've always known it as the "Death Angel". Googling around, it would appear that the "Death Angel" label is more usually applied to a couple of related Amanita species (also poisionous).

This species is "credited" with being the one used to poision Claudius.

KRonn

Quote from: Malthus on September 29, 2009, 09:43:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2009, 09:28:21 AM
Can we have a picture of the Death Angel?

For obvious reasons, we didn't pick one: it is *highly* deadly, the poision can be absorbed through the skin, it leads to an excrutiating death and there is no antidote (though the possibility of major organ transplantation has lead to a great decrease in fatality). Basically, it tastes yummy, but if you eat even a small amount it rots your organs (particularly your liver) irreversibly, leading to a horrible death in a couple of weeks.

Sadly, I neglected to take a pic of it. However, it isn't uncommon.

Here's the Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides

Here they call it the 'Death Cap", but I've always known it as the "Death Angel". Googling around, it would appear that the "Death Angel" label is more usually applied to a couple of related Amanita species (also poisionous).

This species is "credited" with being the one used to poision Claudius.
:huh:  Ouch... I didn't realize it was so deadly!! 

Malthus

Actually I probably have it wrong - the mushrooms I know of as the "Death Angel" are probably not Amanita Phalloides, but rather Amanita Bisporigera.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/amanita_bisporigera.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroying_angel

It doesn't much matter, as they are equally deadly. They are a very ggod reason why "mushroom picking" should be confined to those species you absolutely know are edible ...

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on September 29, 2009, 09:46:43 AM
:huh:  Ouch... I didn't realize it was so deadly!!

My grandfather knew of some folks who, in the 1930s, went out picking mushrooms for the table, and served up a mushroom feast for the whole family. Unknown to them, included in the mix were a hefty number of "Death Angels". One son was out doing something and didn't come home until late; there was none left for him, but he got to lick the serving spoon.

He lived.

Korea

Quote from: Malthus on September 28, 2009, 03:50:58 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2009, 03:35:45 PM
I guess it's payback for all the slaughtered french we usually get :P

Heh no doubt.  :D

I will say this: rural northern Quebec, like rural northern Ontario, has some very desperate poverty.

We did a trip into Laniel, the first time my dad had been there in decades. There used to be a very nice thriving village there. It's mostly all gone. Now, Laniel looks like this:

<oldredneckhouse>

I was partly expecting toothless pure laine rednecks to pop out and make poutine of us.  ;)

Though we did find a very friendly kitten there. Here she is, frolicking with Carl. 

<carlcatpicture>

Awww! So cute! It looks just like my cat! :wub:
I want my mother fucking points!

Malthus

Quote from: Korea on September 29, 2009, 10:12:12 AM

Them interacting was one of those rare moments when i wished I took a video. They were both so obviously on the same wave-length - chasing each other around and around. It was very funny to see.

My cat is older, doesn't do that as much.

Korea

Quote from: Malthus on September 29, 2009, 10:20:33 AM
Quote from: Korea on September 29, 2009, 10:12:12 AM

Them interacting was one of those rare moments when i wished I took a video. They were both so obviously on the same wave-length - chasing each other around and around. It was very funny to see.

My cat is older, doesn't do that as much.

And this was just a stray cat?
I want my mother fucking points!

Malthus

Quote from: Korea on September 30, 2009, 11:20:30 AM
And this was just a stray cat?

I dunno. It wasn't afraid of people at all and it looked in very good condition, so my guess is that it is an outdoor house-cat.

Monoriu

I had mushrooms in a restaurant for dinner tonight, and I couldn't help but think of this thread and my liver as I ate.  I consider this your fault, Malthus  :mad:

;)

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on September 30, 2009, 02:41:26 PM
I had mushrooms in a restaurant for dinner tonight, and I couldn't help but think of this thread and my liver as I ate.  I consider this your fault, Malthus  :mad:

;)

The symptoms take up to 36 hours to manifest themselves.  ;)