News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Right is Tearing Itself Apart

Started by Tamas, April 28, 2016, 07:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2016, 11:55:30 AM
Yeah well Ank has basically called me everything from a traitor to a subhuman monster for daring to support a candidate with slightly different policies than his so we will see how long the left holds together :lol:

His descent into paranoia and hyperbole has been difficult to watch.

the left is in pretty bad shape too. So it's more the center that's being torn apart.
Seems we're about ready for a new revolution a la may 68. But to the 'right' now seeing how the 'left' has become more about protecting their privileges rather than progress.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2016, 12:08:26 PM
He has announced he will write Bernie in the general.

Ank's a good man and I think you all should lay off of him for that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 28, 2016, 01:19:53 PM

:lol:

Maybe Oregon will go your way this time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Can we count on you to vote third party as promised?  :cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 28, 2016, 02:24:44 PM

Can we count on you to vote third party as promised?  :cool:

I promise... to act as my conscience dictates.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

He has announced he will write Bernie in the general. We are all evil and corrupt for supporting her apparently. FFS. The Republicans are less unhinged about Hillary than some of these Bernie supporters.

That is really disappointing.  A Bernie Sanders facebook group gets taken down, "OMG HILLARY CLINTON ORDERED THIS!"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2016, 12:38:40 PM
Who is the bedrock of Sanders supporters?  Millenials.  And again, they're in some trouble as well.  Crippling student debt, housing prices make owning a home look unobtainable.

I've seen it claimed that while Sanders has a large share of Millenials, most of them are ready to vote Hillary once she takes the nomination. The "Bernie is awesome and Hillary is evil" contingent apparently skews much older (and still white).

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 28, 2016, 03:46:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2016, 12:38:40 PM
Who is the bedrock of Sanders supporters?  Millenials.  And again, they're in some trouble as well.  Crippling student debt, housing prices make owning a home look unobtainable.

I've seen it claimed that while Sanders has a large share of Millenials, most of them are ready to vote Hillary once she takes the nomination. The "Bernie is awesome and Hillary is evil" contingent apparently skews much older (and still white).

Could well be.  While most of Sanders support comes from the youngsters, he definitely has brought all the hard-left cranks of any age out of the woodwork as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2016, 03:53:43 PM
Could well be.  While most of Sanders support comes from the youngsters, he definitely has brought all the hard-left cranks of any age out of the woodwork as well.

And some strange hard-right ones as well (there's a section of people who are all "Trump or Sanders"). There is a not insignificant number of libertarians and form Ron Paul supporters amongst the Bern crowd too which seems weird on the face of it. Maybe it isn't though, I think there's a hard-contrarian demographic out there, who care more about saying fuck you to the system and kicking the apple cart a bit than about left or right, so as long as the rhetoric sounds like that they're down. That's my guess, anyhow.

MadImmortalMan

Bernie and Trump are the outsiders. I imagine the overlap among the fed up crowd is probably not insignificant.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 28, 2016, 04:05:38 PM
Bernie and Trump are the outsiders. I imagine the overlap among the fed up crowd is probably not insignificant.

Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 28, 2016, 12:25:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2016, 10:01:39 AM
The main means of communications were dominated by more reasonable and rational discourse. 
No, not really.  There are a number of scares, and ideologies like nazism and fascism that spread without modern means of communications.  It's faster today, because in 1890 it took 3 weeks to get news from London while it takes 3 minutes today, including the time to type it, but the problematic remains the same.

Yes, these extreme ideologies were the exception.  Look at my sig for the rule that used to be in place. 

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on April 28, 2016, 04:01:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2016, 03:53:43 PM

And some strange hard-right ones as well (there's a section of people who are all "Trump or Sanders"). There is a not insignificant number of libertarians and form Ron Paul supporters amongst the Bern crowd too which seems weird on the face of it. Maybe it isn't though, I think there's a hard-contrarian demographic out there, who care more about saying fuck you to the system and kicking the apple cart a bit than about left or right, so as long as the rhetoric sounds like that they're down. That's my guess, anyhow.

At least among my social circle, of the former Paul supporters who are now Bernie supporters, it has the most to do with their sharing many positions on foreign policy, defense spending, and corporate welfare.  I guess that could count as 'fuck the system' but I don't see it as that amongst them.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien