The Right is Tearing Itself Apart

Started by Tamas, April 28, 2016, 07:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2016, 11:44:28 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2016, 10:52:03 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 28, 2016, 10:26:21 AM
Tell me more about this boobie prize.

It comes from Spanish, bobo. The stupid prize.

Seriously?  I thought it came from the bird.

Yes. Doesn't that make sense than being named after a random bird? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2016, 11:56:11 AM
Yes. Doesn't that make sense than being named after a random bird? :hmm:

I'm such a dodo.  :Embarrass:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2016, 11:55:30 AM
Yeah well Ank has basically called me everything from a traitor to a subhuman monster for daring to support a candidate with slightly different policies than his so we will see how long the left holds together :lol:

His descent into paranoia and hyperbole has been difficult to watch.

Has he really?

I know he posts constant pro-Sanders articles, but I didn't know he'd gone that far.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2016, 12:07:01 PM
Yeah well Ank has basically called me everything from a traitor to a subhuman monster for daring to support a candidate with slightly different policies than his so we will see how long the left holds together :lol:

Has he really?

I know he posts constant pro-Sanders articles, but I didn't know he'd gone that far.

He has announced he will write Bernie in the general. We are all evil and corrupt for supporting her apparently. FFS. The Republicans are less unhinged about Hillary than some of these Bernie supporters.

lustindarkness

The truth is we are all subhuman monsters (here in languish). :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2016, 12:08:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2016, 12:07:01 PM

Has he really?

He has announced he will write Bernie in the general. We are all evil and corrupt for supporting her apparently. FFS. The Republicans are less unhinged about Hillary than some of these Bernie supporters.

The Bernie Bros on my Faceborks are really losing it as much as Ank is.  It's really quite weird to see people I talk with on a weekly basis believe there's some sort of conspiracy behind Google calling a state for Hillary when the returns for a primary are at 4%.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2016, 10:01:39 AM
The main means of communications were dominated by more reasonable and rational discourse. 
No, not really.  There are a number of scares, and ideologies like nazism and fascism that spread without modern means of communications.  It's faster today, because in 1890 it took 3 weeks to get news from London while it takes 3 minutes today, including the time to type it, but the problematic remains the same.

People have this inherent need to believe they are pretty, intelligent, special.  They also have this inherent need to seek an outside cause to their perceive ills.  Some people/groups are inherently good at exploiting these weaknesses.  I mean, there were people voting Trudeau because they thought Canada was in danger of becoming a fascist country.  Proves to me that this whole conspiracy thing isn't exclusive to the US and the conservative movements.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2016, 12:08:26 PM
The Republicans are less unhinged about Hillary than some of these Bernie supporters.

Most Democrats believe Trump will be beaten by Hillary, so no real cause for concern.
Most Republicans believe Sanders will be beaten by a monkey flying GOP colors, so no real cause for concern.

Any attack by the Republicans against Hillary will make her more popular.
So, that likely explains why the Republicans are less unhingd about Hillary than some of these Bernie supporters.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

I think people just want war or a crisis. If there isnt one they make it.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on April 28, 2016, 12:27:32 PM
So, that likely explains why the Republicans are less unhingd about Hillary than some of these Bernie supporters.

I am not talking about this election V, I am talking about 1992-present :lol:

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2016, 12:33:47 PM
I think people just want war or a crisis. If there isnt one they make it.

Well maybe not a crisis, but...

Who is the bedrock of Trump supporters?  Whites without college education.  And those people are in a lot of trouble.  They're dying at ever increasing rates, living standards are falling, etc.

Who is the bedrock of Sanders supporters?  Millenials.  And again, they're in some trouble as well.  Crippling student debt, housing prices make owning a home look unobtainable.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2016, 12:35:56 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 28, 2016, 12:27:32 PM

I am not talking about this election V, I am talking about 1992-present :lol:
oh, sorry.

Martinus

On second thought, I think it is too easy to write it off on "people have it too easy these days". I think it's a combination of many things, some of them even contradictory, eg:

- asymmetric recovery from the financial crisis
- complacency of political elites
- breaking of the stranglehold of the mainstream on public discourse because of emergence of social media
- growing irrelevance of the old right vs. left divide leading to massive political realignment
- domination of leftist identity politics in academic and intellectual discourse
- lack of single geopolitical existential threat / emergence of the multi-polar world
- decline of Christianity in the West creating a "values' vacuum"
- increasing pace of technological growth, deepening the cultural divide between generations
- policies prioritising growth over social cohesion
- post-Marxist sociopolitical models reducing human differences to economy

I could go on.