News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Americans!

Started by Eddie Teach, April 12, 2016, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which social group identity do you think is most important to you?

My nationality(American)
12 (23.5%)
My region(Southern, Midwestern, PNW, etc)
5 (9.8%)
My state
3 (5.9%)
My religion
3 (5.9%)
My race
1 (2%)
Other
4 (7.8%)
Non-American, nationality most important
9 (17.6%)
Non-American, region or province most important
7 (13.7%)
Non-American, religion most important
0 (0%)
Non-American, race most important
1 (2%)
Non-American, continent most important
0 (0%)
Non-American, other
3 (5.9%)
I'm just glad I'm not a Mormon like Jaron
3 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 50

viper37

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 12, 2016, 09:53:54 PM
I've heard nobody except for CdM  talk about a "New Confederacy" that encompasses those regions. The South is shrinking, not expanding. North Carolina and Virginia are not being "gentrified", they are being colonized. The settlement of Dixie by Yankee colonists has been accelerating in the last few decades and augurs dire portents, but at the very least they have been very reluctant to settle Mississippi.

Kansas is of course rightful Southern land that was stolen by the sinister efforts of the New England Emigrant Aid Company, but there was never any meaningful dominance of Southern culture in that province.

how would you differentiate a Yankee from a Southerner?  dialect aside, what makes one a true southern boy as opposes to a Yankee colonist after 3 generations?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 12, 2016, 10:22:52 PM
Kansas, adjacent to Missouri, and with a yankee lodestone for settlement directly north, should have naturally developed as an appendage of the South, and seemed set to do so before the issue was politicized and the fix was set in.

Again...what are you talking about? It was long understood that it was to be a slavery free zone. It was the California Gold Rush that screwed that plan over. And last I checked the fix involved voting shenanigans on the part of the Missourians.

Quotet is also true that the valorous contributions of the South in the war against Mexico were rewarded with false-dealing and a determination to block Southern expansion, and that in a more rosy world we might have claimed at least Arizona, New Mexico, and part of California. 

No it was well understood that all the land south of the Missouri Compromise line was going to be slave territory. Then the Gold Rush happened.

But remember the North opposed the war against Mexico because it was primarily going to be one for slave land. They were eventually calmed by assurances that most of the land was desert so nothing to worry about. Then everything got thrown out of whack.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2016, 09:51:45 PM
I interviewed for two gigs in Houston last year.  I would've gone if I had scored them, but it's not breaking my heart that I didn't, either. 

Seedy in Texas.  Now that'd be a sight.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Imagine the complaints he'd have when October rolls around and it's still summer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2016, 08:34:57 PM
One last go, simply put many people in England would not be that bothered if Scotland or Northern Ireland spun off into a different orbit. And as we know many, perhaps not a majority of Scots actively want to see it ended. This is rather different to things in America, yes?

Just out of curiosity, given this, is Lord Byron considered a Scottish poet, an English poet or a British poet?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on April 13, 2016, 12:32:20 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2016, 08:34:57 PM
One last go, simply put many people in England would not be that bothered if Scotland or Northern Ireland spun off into a different orbit. And as we know many, perhaps not a majority of Scots actively want to see it ended. This is rather different to things in America, yes?

Just out of curiosity, given this, is Lord Byron considered a Scottish poet, an English poet or a British poet?

Gordon Ramsay: foul-mouthed Scot, English, or British celebrity chef? :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

English soccer player.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 13, 2016, 10:30:04 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2016, 09:51:45 PM
I interviewed for two gigs in Houston last year.  I would've gone if I had scored them, but it's not breaking my heart that I didn't, either. 

Seedy in Texas.  Now that'd be a sight.

Hey man, I would've bought a Stetson and put a big ass Longhorn hood ornament on the Jeep and everything.  But that heat is just fucking bullshit.

Just trying to get as far above the 40th parallel as possible.

Gups

London, south. But not the posh bits west of Clapham or the racist bits in the south-east or the Croydon wastelands. The bit of South London where your local pub has a banned list like this (this really is one of my locals).

garbon

London south of the river. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

garbon

Quote from: Gups on April 14, 2016, 07:40:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 14, 2016, 07:20:19 AM
London south of the river. :x

ooooh it's not Hoxton.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to live there either.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

That's a good list, I would not want any of those fucks at my house either.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

I see Shielbh snuck in on Sunday  :)

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom