News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Americans!

Started by Eddie Teach, April 12, 2016, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which social group identity do you think is most important to you?

My nationality(American)
12 (23.5%)
My region(Southern, Midwestern, PNW, etc)
5 (9.8%)
My state
3 (5.9%)
My religion
3 (5.9%)
My race
1 (2%)
Other
4 (7.8%)
Non-American, nationality most important
9 (17.6%)
Non-American, region or province most important
7 (13.7%)
Non-American, religion most important
0 (0%)
Non-American, race most important
1 (2%)
Non-American, continent most important
0 (0%)
Non-American, other
3 (5.9%)
I'm just glad I'm not a Mormon like Jaron
3 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 50

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 12, 2016, 09:33:58 PM
What about any Baltimore > Philly > NYC dynamic at least?  :P

Oh, yeah. It's dynamic, alright.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2016, 09:31:13 PM
Texas is its own bullshit.

Oh its bullshit alright. But we are also being colonized at a quick rate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2016, 09:45:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2016, 09:31:13 PM
Texas is its own bullshit.

Oh its bullshit alright. But we are also being colonized at a quick rate.

I interviewed for two gigs in Houston last year.  I would've gone if I had scored them, but it's not breaking my heart that I didn't, either. 

Lettow77

I've heard nobody except for CdM  talk about a "New Confederacy" that encompasses those regions. The South is shrinking, not expanding. North Carolina and Virginia are not being "gentrified", they are being colonized. The settlement of Dixie by Yankee colonists has been accelerating in the last few decades and augurs dire portents, but at the very least they have been very reluctant to settle Mississippi.

Kansas is of course rightful Southern land that was stolen by the sinister efforts of the New England Emigrant Aid Company, but there was never any meaningful dominance of Southern culture in that province.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 12, 2016, 09:53:54 PM
I've heard nobody except for CdM  talk about a "New Confederacy" that encompasses those regions.

Their politics tell you everything you need to know about them.  They just don't smack of your typical Dixie at first glance, what with the dearth of Coloreds Not Appearing In This Picture.

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 12, 2016, 09:53:54 PM
Kansas is of course rightful Southern land that was stolen by the sinister efforts of the New England Emigrant Aid Company, but there was never any meaningful dominance of Southern culture in that province.

How do you figure? California was the southern land that got stolen. Kansas was north of the Missouri compromise line.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Lettow77

Kansas, adjacent to Missouri, and with a yankee lodestone for settlement directly north, should have naturally developed as an appendage of the South, and seemed set to do so before the issue was politicized and the fix was set in.

It is also true that the valorous contributions of the South in the war against Mexico were rewarded with false-dealing and a determination to block Southern expansion, and that in a more rosy world we might have claimed at least Arizona, New Mexico, and part of California. 

It merited a map, so I quickly made one.

Grey is unqualifiedly Southern; Red denotes foul tories to be shunned and marked for what they are. Blue areas are lost to yankee colonization, but were once Southern. Purple is Texas, which has a complicated relationship with the rest of the South. Orange areas are border regions that are essentially Southern, but have a differing experience to draw upon and exist at the fringes of the great Southern civilization. Somewhat suspect.

Green represents areas the South has had a claim to at some point, and would ideally would have joined themselves to an independent Southern nation.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

CountDeMoney

During your tea ceremonies every afternoon, does the tea scoop double as a genital cuff, or is that something different? 

garbon

Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2016, 08:45:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2016, 08:41:24 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2016, 08:34:57 PM
I think the discussion has reached a natural conclusion if you're going to intentional ignore my point, which was a narrow one about the current or indeed concluding nature of the United Kingdom.

So...is there a British identity then? I know Northern Ireland is a tricky deal.

QuoteOne last go, simply put many people in England would not be that bothered if Scotland or Northern Ireland spun off into a different orbit. And as we know many, perhaps not a majority of Scots actively want to see it ended. This is rather different to things in America, yes? 

We have stuff like that in America. I may have just been giving you a hard time for being a snob about how Americans don't have stuff. We have separatists. We even have ethnic separatists. Check out the Canadian thread sometime.

How on earth did you read that into what I posted?

The ony point I was making with regard to the US was it's a much, much stronger political construct or endeavour, than the current state of the UK.

Yes, he should have known you were making a throwaway mongers point but somehow he got suckered in
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

An interesting question. I think I consider myself the part of Latin (as opposed to, Cyryllic) European culture.

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on April 13, 2016, 02:07:35 AM
An interesting question. I think I consider myself the part of Latin (as opposed to, Cyryllic) European culture.

My fellow Latin!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2016, 06:35:38 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 12, 2016, 05:05:53 PM
[img width=985 height=1024]https://
You feel like you belong in an ancient kingdom?

The north east remains a very culturally distinct area with a strong regional identity.
Bernicia sounds sexier than north east.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

I think I consider myself the part of Latin (as opposed to, Cyryllic) European culture.

Quote of the day, Speedos Gonzales.

garbon

Okay, sweetie.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

"Nationality". I feel a strong attachment to that, more so than any particular group or region within the nation.