News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Americans!

Started by Eddie Teach, April 12, 2016, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which social group identity do you think is most important to you?

My nationality(American)
12 (23.5%)
My region(Southern, Midwestern, PNW, etc)
5 (9.8%)
My state
3 (5.9%)
My religion
3 (5.9%)
My race
1 (2%)
Other
4 (7.8%)
Non-American, nationality most important
9 (17.6%)
Non-American, region or province most important
7 (13.7%)
Non-American, religion most important
0 (0%)
Non-American, race most important
1 (2%)
Non-American, continent most important
0 (0%)
Non-American, other
3 (5.9%)
I'm just glad I'm not a Mormon like Jaron
3 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Valmy

QuoteThe Federal government, and the most populous States (with the most representatives in the House) propose a law that they believe is very beneficial to a part of the US but is actually very detrimental, at least in the short-mid term to Texas.  Somehow, they managed to convince just enough senators to vote for it and it comes in effect.  Texas is on the war path, it won't let itself be destroyed like that (not to be taken literally, this is not a repeat of 1860).

Who do you side with?

Well if Bernie comes to power and destroys NAFTA, as he has promised, we might get that scenario :P

If Texas was opposing such a move by constitutional means I would, of course, be supportive. But secession is un-constitutional so...there we go. Also secession to reduce trade barriers seems hilariously counter-productive.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Can't really see myself as a United Kingdomer, given it's a somewhat artificial construct liable to fall apart at any moment (thanks Dave).

Being described as a Brit would work for ethnicity, English would be too narrow and inaccurate for me and others given the amount of intermarrying between the four nations in these isles.

But probably the ill-defined region where I live is what I most strongly identify with, though no doubt that's a similarly artificial construct or perhaps a token of whimsy, say closer to Hardy country than to Alfred's Wessex.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

In order of priority: Bernician - British - European - English if there's a major sporting event on and it catches my attention - Irish if I want to wind up Irish Americans or claim to be foreign for some nefarious reason 
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2016, 04:33:18 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 12, 2016, 04:26:20 PM
Bernician

What's that mean?

Do you think they'll ever invent programmes or stuff that just, like, looks stuff up on the internet? :unsure:

Eddie Teach

I think we should make a rule that only the person asked the question is allowed to be snarky and say "just google it".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Archy

Flemish off course. Part of the dustbin of Western Europe

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2016, 04:42:57 PM
I think we should make a rule that only the person asked the question is allowed to be snarky and say "just google it".

:blush:

lustindarkness

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2016, 04:33:18 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 12, 2016, 04:26:20 PM
Bernician

What's that mean?

Maybe he feels the Bern? :unsure: Who knows? Tyr doesn't speak English, so we never know what he is saying.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2016, 03:07:24 PM
Are you suggesting this as some kind of hypothetical?  Because literally nothing like this is happening.
Hypothetical yes.  Likely to happen?  Of course not. The Federal government would never side against an english speaking provinces.

But many actions were taken against Quebec interests in the past, even under a Conservative government.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2016, 03:10:31 PM
QuoteThe Federal government, and the most populous States (with the most representatives in the House) propose a law that they believe is very beneficial to a part of the US but is actually very detrimental, at least in the short-mid term to Texas.  Somehow, they managed to convince just enough senators to vote for it and it comes in effect.  Texas is on the war path, it won't let itself be destroyed like that (not to be taken literally, this is not a repeat of 1860).

Who do you side with?

Well if Bernie comes to power and destroys NAFTA, as he has promised, we might get that scenario :P

If Texas was opposing such a move by constitutional means I would, of course, be supportive. But secession is un-constitutional so...there we go.
of course, I said this was not 1860, it was not a secession in your case. :)

QuoteAlso secession to reduce trade barriers seems hilariously counter-productive.
An independant Texas could negotiate its own trade deals with Mexico and Latin America.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2016, 04:16:04 PM
somewhat artificial construct

What the fuck does 'artificial' mean in the context of social group identities? They are all made up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."