News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Americans!

Started by Eddie Teach, April 12, 2016, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which social group identity do you think is most important to you?

My nationality(American)
12 (23.5%)
My region(Southern, Midwestern, PNW, etc)
5 (9.8%)
My state
3 (5.9%)
My religion
3 (5.9%)
My race
1 (2%)
Other
4 (7.8%)
Non-American, nationality most important
9 (17.6%)
Non-American, region or province most important
7 (13.7%)
Non-American, religion most important
0 (0%)
Non-American, race most important
1 (2%)
Non-American, continent most important
0 (0%)
Non-American, other
3 (5.9%)
I'm just glad I'm not a Mormon like Jaron
3 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Eddie Teach

Hopefully this will prove Lettow wrong.

Family doesn't count for purposes of this poll.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I answered based on how I felt in the US (Californian) rather than now (American).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Non-American, don't give much of a damn except social-liberal societal values. If I were to identify with something, it would be that. So I guess that makes me "other".

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Are you perhaps leaving out loyalty to your ethnic group, which is distinct from your race?  For example someone who identifies with their Irish heritage but couldn't care less about being white?

Or what about political ideology?  I've always felt a great deal of affinity for fellow Conservatives in the US or UK.

I don't know how to answer, because there's no single answer.  At different times I've felt like a Canadian, an Albertan/Manitoban/Yukoner, a Christian, a conservative, and a Ukrainian.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2016, 11:02:34 AM
Family first.

Not a significant enough group, unless you're extending it out so far it becomes race/ethnicity.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2016, 11:09:09 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2016, 11:02:34 AM
Family first.

Not a significant enough group, unless you're extending it out so far it becomes race/ethnicity.

What if you have a large extended family. I don't think mine could then be counted as race/ethnicity. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Family doesn't count. These are meta-labels. Your surname usually represents a couple dozen people who are closely related to you and thousands who aren't. Family is also far more immediate than the other abstractions listed. It's closer to the self than to the collective.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2016, 11:17:21 AM
Family doesn't count. These are meta-labels. Your surname usually represents a couple dozen people who are closely related to you and thousands who aren't. Family is also far more immediate than the other abstractions listed. It's closer to the self than to the collective.

Ok then...I do not really know. 'American' I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Don't care much but I voted for Region.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Phillip V

I would kill for America.

I would not kill for Jesus.

Barrister

Quote from: Phillip V on April 12, 2016, 11:26:06 AM
I would not kill for Jesus.

Well I don't think he would want you to, so...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Love your enemies but kill the bastards anyway. Isn't that what he said?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2016, 11:17:21 AM

Well I don't think I would use my actual surname. Still group of people even if not one easy name for the collective.

lustindarkness

:hmm: lets see:

I am proud to identify as Puerto Rican just as much as I identify as an American.

Maybe you gringos and even international laws or whatever don't consider Puerto Rico to be a country in itself, but in my heart and mind and that of any Boricua, it is a nation. I feel the same love and pride to the USA. I proudly serve that flag.

Holy crap, maybe this is how lettuce feels?  :o
Grand Duke of Lurkdom