News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Americans!

Started by Eddie Teach, April 12, 2016, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which social group identity do you think is most important to you?

My nationality(American)
12 (23.5%)
My region(Southern, Midwestern, PNW, etc)
5 (9.8%)
My state
3 (5.9%)
My religion
3 (5.9%)
My race
1 (2%)
Other
4 (7.8%)
Non-American, nationality most important
9 (17.6%)
Non-American, region or province most important
7 (13.7%)
Non-American, religion most important
0 (0%)
Non-American, race most important
1 (2%)
Non-American, continent most important
0 (0%)
Non-American, other
3 (5.9%)
I'm just glad I'm not a Mormon like Jaron
3 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2016, 06:16:53 PM
An independant Texas could negotiate its own trade deals with Mexico and Latin America.

And add another country that would be fucking everything up by pursuing its own politically convenient interests. Besides there is a roughly 0% chance people who think like me would be running an independent Texas  :lol:

That being self-evident I don't see why I would support this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2016, 06:35:38 PM
You feel like you belong in an ancient kingdom?

Mercia shall rise from the ashes -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

Out of the categories given it's my nationality. I don't live in my home region or state anymore, don't have a religion and being white only matters when I am in non-European countries on vacation.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2016, 07:16:01 PM
Mercia shall rise from the ashes -_-
Now that's a kingdom I've destroyed over and over and over again in CK2. :menace:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sophie Scholl

Rust Belter for lack of a better term?  I guess you would file that under "regional"
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2016, 07:10:55 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2016, 04:16:04 PM
somewhat artificial construct

What the fuck does 'artificial' mean in the context of social group identities? They are all made up.

The UK isn't a social group identity, you'll very rarely hear us referring to each other in terms of the political/monarchial entity that it is.

Remember last year it nearly ceased to exist and this year posh Dave is having another go at perhaps consigning it to history's curio section alongside Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and India (as in the sub-continent). In that respect it's rather un-like America.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2016, 08:01:46 PM
The UK isn't a social group identity, you'll very rarely hear us referring to each other in terms of the political/monarchial entity that it is.

You have a flag you proudly covered the world with. You fought together through countless wars. You have been united for over 300 years. Hundreds of thousands of people of Scottish descent live in England so it is not even an ethnic thing. What does it take over there in Euro-land? And you expect to be able to integrate immigrants when it takes longer than 300 years to integrate yourselves?

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2016, 08:28:33 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2016, 08:01:46 PM

You have a flag you proudly covered the world with. You fought together through countless wars. You have been united for over 300 years. Hundreds of thousands of people of Scottish descent live in England so it is not even an ethnic thing. What does it take over there in Euro-land? And you expect to be able to integrate immigrants when it takes longer than 300 years to integrate yourselves?

I think the discussion has reached a natural conclusion if you're going to intentional ignore my point, which was a narrow one about the current or indeed concluding nature of the United Kingdom.

One last go, simply put many people in England would not be that bothered if Scotland or Northern Ireland spun off into a different orbit. And as we know many, perhaps not a majority of Scots actively want to see it ended. This is rather different to things in America, yes? 

Valmy

QuoteIn that respect it's rather un-like America.

Well you cannot really compare anything like what we have to Czechoslavakia or Yugoslavia. Those nations never had a chance. During WWII the Germans tore apart both by manipulating the ethnic divisions. It would have been incredible if they had survived.

I am not sure what you mean by India the subcontinent. It was only that when you guys were keeping everything together :P

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2016, 08:34:57 PM
I think the discussion has reached a natural conclusion if you're going to intentional ignore my point, which was a narrow one about the current or indeed concluding nature of the United Kingdom.

So...is there a British identity then? I know Northern Ireland is a tricky deal.

QuoteOne last go, simply put many people in England would not be that bothered if Scotland or Northern Ireland spun off into a different orbit. And as we know many, perhaps not a majority of Scots actively want to see it ended. This is rather different to things in America, yes? 

We have stuff like that in America. I may have just been giving you a hard time for being a snob about how Americans don't have stuff. We have separatists. We even have ethnic separatists. Check out the Canadian thread sometime.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2016, 08:41:24 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2016, 08:34:57 PM

So...is there a British identity then? I know Northern Ireland is a tricky deal.

QuoteOne last go, simply put many people in England would not be that bothered if Scotland or Northern Ireland spun off into a different orbit. And as we know many, perhaps not a majority of Scots actively want to see it ended. This is rather different to things in America, yes? 

We have stuff like that in America. I may have just been giving you a hard time for being a snob about how Americans don't have stuff. We have separatists. We even have ethnic separatists. Check out the Canadian thread sometime.

How on earth did you read that into what I posted?

The ony point I was making with regard to the US was it's a much, much stronger political construct or endeavour, than the current state of the UK.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2016, 08:45:54 PM
The ony point I was making with regard to the US was it's a much, much stronger political construct or endeavour, than the current state of the UK.

Maybe. These days I am not sure sure. You know how these things go. Our politics and culture is becoming very divided. Probably won't mean anything and I guess it is a blessing it is not fully regional.

QuoteHow on earth did you read that into what I posted?

I don't know. I was feeling salty.

Tonitrus

I'd probably say nationality, and then state/region, mostly in illogical competitive jest...just like I support all my military brothers/sisters, but the USAF is still better than any stinkin' Marine/grunt.  :P

So, Washington is best state, Oregon is our okay, dorky sibling that cannot pump their own gas, and West coast far better than East coast, etc.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2016, 08:41:24 PM

Yeah, we still have "the South", even though becoming more of a concept than just a region and becoming more diffused as time goes on, spilling into the "New Confederacy" of the Midwest(Kansas, Nebraska, and the like) as Virginia and North Carolina start to gentrify with New Yorkers. Lulz, suck it, Lettuce.

Texas is its own bullshit.

Not really a whole lot of regional identity here.  You just can't go all "Yay, Maryland."  Just doesn't work.  That's like going, "Yay, medium", or "Yay, scent-free hypoallergenic laundry detergent."

Tonitrus

What about any Baltimore > Philly > NYC dynamic at least?  :P