Man removed from UK flight over 'prayer' message on phone

Started by garbon, March 04, 2016, 06:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on March 05, 2016, 01:44:43 PM
THe only story here is "Journalists exaggerate and lie to create news, and suckers buy it hook, line, and sinker".

I agree.  Pretty much the same as the panic over the idea that Apple has to assist law enforcement.   Total non-story, other than the suckers buying it hook, line, and sinker.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 05, 2016, 02:46:24 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 05, 2016, 02:13:04 PM
He was a victim of a bunch of circumstances beyond his control where he got screwed by the system. We all get screwed by the system all the time

Ah yes, all screwings are equal.

Yep.  If I go into a bakery and get in line, and the bakery owner tells the guy ahead of me to "get out of here, nigger!  We don't serve coons!" and then, when I get to the counter, tells me that he is all out of the raisin bread I came to buy, the other customer and I have encountered identical inability to purchase, and so the harm we have suffered is identical.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 05, 2016, 03:11:15 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 05, 2016, 02:58:35 PM
He was a victim of a bunch of circumstances beyond his control where he got screwed by the system. We all get screwed by the system all the time

Not at all - but you have not provided any reason to believe this one was less equal, or that there is some kind of problem with the system itself.

To the extent that there is *any* story here, or any claim to racism, it is limited to individuals, and you don't even know if race was a part of it at all.

Other than, of course, the guy is black, so I guess if something bad happens to him it is automatically racist.

Oh white people. It must be so lovely. :(

I doubt it.  They sunburn really easily.  :(

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on March 05, 2016, 04:49:09 PM
Is that not the definition of the very racism you decry? An assumption that my views and opinion is informed by my race - that I am not capable of simply disagreeing with you on the merits of the story, rather than because I am white?

The irony is that the story makes no mention of his race at all - it doesn't say that the person complained because of his race, or that security made a comment about his race, or gave any indication whatsoever that the outcome was dependent on his being not white.

I guess the demand here is that I *must* conclude that none of this would have happened had he not been black, otherwise I am just a amusing, funny blind white person. You know, because I am white.

Stop trolling garbon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 05, 2016, 01:22:17 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 05, 2016, 12:41:59 PM
Btw, garbon, would your take on this change if, rather than this being found out by a "busybody looking over a shoulder", the passenger wore a badge or otherwise announced to fellow travellers that he is a member of the "ISI men" prayer group?

Wore a badge? As in a badge that said 'ISI men'? Yes, I would find it very troubling/sad if people thought he was a terrorist because he wore a badge.

So how exactly is the fact that a "busybody [was] looking over his shoulder" in any way relevant to assessment of the situation?

The only question is whether the personnel acted reasonably. I believe they acted cautiously but within the reasonable framework. Personally I'd rather have aircraft personnel err on the side of safety, rather than fear of offending someone.

Admiral Yi

I thought everything was reasonable except the pilot not letting back on.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2016, 07:45:11 PM

I am inclined to agree. It would be good to know more about the reasons for this, though. It is possible letting him back on would have caused further delay which was not acceptable (eg. the plane missing its departure spot etc.)

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on March 05, 2016, 07:51:23 PM

I am inclined to agree. It would be good to know more about the reasons for this, though. It is possible letting him back on would have caused further delay which was not acceptable (eg. the plane missing its departure spot etc.)

Yeah, there is no way to know - and given that we DO know that the author of the story is perfectly willing to mislead his readers, I am skeptical that there wasn't any more detail around the pilot's actions either.

But given a lack of information, I think the safe assumption is RACISM!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

We don't actually have information that the author is "perfectly willing to mislead", but hey, that didn't stop you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2016, 09:22:56 PM
We don't actually have information that the author is "perfectly willing to mislead", but hey, that didn't stop you.

You're right. It could be the editor.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Yeah. It appears several passengers were cunts about it, too, which might have influenced his decision.

Once the guy was cleared he should've had no further issues, but I can't fault airport security for being extra-cautious.

derspiess

Damned busybodies.  And Berkut needs to check his privilege.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

Ugh, someone please bring me a towel so I can clean the white privilege out of this thread.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2016, 05:06:58 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 05, 2016, 01:44:43 PM
THe only story here is "Journalists exaggerate and lie to create news, and suckers buy it hook, line, and sinker".

I agree.  Pretty much the same as the panic over the idea that Apple has to assist law enforcement.   Total non-story, other than the suckers buying it hook, line, and sinker.

If nothing else, that story seems to have attracted a lot more suckers. This one...not so much.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2016, 05:10:10 PM

Yep.  If I go into a bakery and get in line, and the bakery owner tells the guy ahead of me to "get out of here, nigger!  We don't serve coons!" and then, when I get to the counter, tells me that he is all out of the raisin bread I came to buy, the other customer and I have encountered identical inability to purchase, and so the harm we have suffered is identical.

That analogy works really well if in this case someone kicked him off the plane and told him "We don't let black people fly our airline!".

Or maybe that is the point you are making? Not sure, might be blinded by my white privilege.

0 rows returned