Man removed from UK flight over 'prayer' message on phone

Started by garbon, March 04, 2016, 06:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2016, 07:25:41 AM
Is grumbler ever a pleasure to debate with? I don't recall.

It's never a pleasure for you, that's for sure!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2016, 10:41:40 AM
There really isn't any debate happening here. Just conjecture on the motives of people we have no idea about, since they weren't cooperative enough to say something like grumbler's analogy demands.

To the extent that the first person even potentially exhibited racism, even that is kind of bogus. He might have been engaging in some profiling, but that isn't necessarily racist per se.

We don't have enough evidence to support your analogy, which is what my hypothetical was pointing out.  My hypothetical was about your analogy, not about what happened to the British guy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on March 07, 2016, 10:44:27 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2016, 10:41:40 AM
There really isn't any debate happening here. Just conjecture on the motives of people we have no idea about, since they weren't cooperative enough to say something like grumbler's analogy demands.

To the extent that the first person even potentially exhibited racism, even that is kind of bogus. He might have been engaging in some profiling, but that isn't necessarily racist per se.

We don't have enough evidence to support your analogy, which is what my hypothetical was pointing out.  My hypothetical was about your analogy, not about what happened to the British guy.

Given a lack of evidence, it is reasonable to assume that people acted, well, reasonably and without malice.

So my analogy, while based on some assumptions, is based on reasonable assumptions giving people the benefit of the doubt. If we do that, then in fact this guy got screwed by an unfortunate set of circumstances that were essentially random, and not motivated by malice.

Your analogy requires someone to make explicit racist remarks as justification for their actions. Obviously, if anyone involved had done that, my analysis would change.

So no, your analogy pretty much sucks, since it cannot be supported by what actually happened. Mine simply asks the reader to not assume that everyone involved is a member of the KKK. I might be wrong, but it seems like a reasonable sin given that nobody was wearing a white robe at the time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

I think you are making the mistake that it has to be racism as in hatred. I think it is more racism in terms of fear. Guy who looks like he could be a muslim and typing to ISI men leading to terror.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2016, 10:52:18 AM
I think you are making the mistake that it has to be racism as in hatred. I think it is more racism in terms of fear. Guy who looks like he could be a muslim and typing to ISI men leading to terror.

You can be racist in all kinds of not hateful ways. Just presuming somebody is great at sports because they are black is not hatred.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

I think it is entirely possible that in the exact same circumstance, where all the details are the same except that the guy is white, the outcome is the same.

It is also possible that the outcome would be different, as well - that the guy being black was a necessary condition to what followed.

We simply do not know.

There is some level of profiling going on all the time though - and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. We do that constantly. Had the circumstances been identical, but the victim was a 8 year old girl for instance, it is almost impossible to imagine it coming out the same, because the odds of a 8 year old girl being a member of ISIS are so low that the person in question would almost certainly assume that whatever he saw had nothing to do with terrorism.

My point is simply that there are a huge number of assumptions that have to be made to get from the facts of the story to valid outrage at some kind of systemic injustice happening, rather than just a unfortunate sequence of events that resulted in some guy missing his flight. I don't doubt that there is actual racism happening out there, and actual injustice. I don't think it serves anyones purpose to manufacture it where there isn't any real evidence to support it.

0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 07, 2016, 11:03:23 AM

You can be racist in all kinds of not hateful ways. Just presuming somebody is great at sports because they are black is not hatred.

Is it still racism if a stereotype is statistically significant?

Is it racist to assume that a Native American is alcohol intolerant?

Berkut

Sam Harris had a pretty interesting podcast talking to some crazy chick about profiling....

0 rows returned

Razgovory

The Sam Harris who thinks it just might be okay to kill people for thinking the wrong thing? Man, no wonder Berkut has been loopy lately.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

0 rows returned

Razgovory

I don't know of any other Sam Harris besides the Athiest one who believes in Psychic powers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2016, 01:18:21 PM

It's logical contradictions like this that render the current usage of "racist" meaningless.  Which is why I've always been pushing my preferred alternative, bigot, taken to mean someone who wishes a racial or ethnic group ill.

Course I'm explaining this to a person who uses homophobe to describe anyone who disagrees with him.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2016, 01:14:26 PM

I think it is entirely possible that in the exact same circumstance, where all the details are the same except that the guy is white, the outcome is the same.

Lots of things are possible but not probable.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2016, 01:39:13 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2016, 01:18:21 PM

It's logical contradictions like this that render the current usage of "racist" meaningless.  Which is why I've always been pushing my preferred alternative, bigot, taken to mean someone who wishes a racial or ethnic group ill.

Course I'm explaining this to a person who uses homophobe to describe anyone who disagrees with him.

Not any more.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2016, 01:39:13 PM

A bigot is someone who continues to hold intolerant beliefs even after the facts have been explained to him.  There is an overlap between the populations of racists and that of bigots, but they aren't synonyms.

"Racial bigot" might work, though.

Bayraktar!