Man removed from UK flight over 'prayer' message on phone

Started by garbon, March 04, 2016, 06:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2016, 01:18:21 PM
Is it still racism if a stereotype is statistically significant?

I think so :unsure: but then I am not really sure the extent that stereotypes based on race are racist.

Besides just because a disproportionate amount of great athletes are black does not mean a majority of black people are great athletes. I mean it may mean that but I have never seen it studied :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

it's racist because you're making an assumption about someone based on the rest of his race. but, like yi said, just because something is racist doesn't mean it's bigotry. similar to sexism my comment in another thread

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on March 07, 2016, 04:04:51 PM
it's racist because you're making an assumption about someone based on the rest of his race. but, like yi said, just because something is racist doesn't mean it's bigotry. similar to sexism my comment in another thread

Ah ok that makes sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

There is a difference between profiling, and racism, even though profiling often looks racist.

Profiling, at its basic level, is simply acknowledging statistics.

If you are looking for NFL starting corner backs, for example, it would be stupid to think that out of a given population of black people, one should expect any of them to be a NFL caliber cornerback.

However, since it is factually true that nearly all NFL cornerbacks are in fact black, then if you are trying to find NFL cornerbacks, and you have a mixed population of people to sift through, it makes perfect sense to simply not look at those who are not black. It reduces your set of people you do need to look at - does that mean you think your resulting set are all NFL cornerbacks? Of course not.

There is other kind of profiling that goes on all the time of course, that nobody has any problem with. If the police are looking for a serial killer, do you think they look at suspects who are men or women? Men - because while very, very few men are serial killers, just about all serial killers are men. So why waste time looking at women? Or 10 year olds? Or any other group that you know has an exceedingly low chance of actually containing the people you are looking for?

Now, it is certainly the case that one could take that too far, and end up hurting yourself, and the context matters. It isn't a case where since profiling works sometimes, it works all the time, or even the case that it is necessarily true that doing so is useful enough to justify the pushback.

Airport screening is the common example. If you are looking for potential terrorists, should you be completely profile neutral? There are good arguments either way.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Pretty much what Berkut said. That's why I changed my views on sexually active gay men donating blood - I don't think it is unreasonable to ban them because the chance of them having HIV is not statistically insignificant.

When we are talking about a minor inconvenience (as opposed to access to basic rights or fundamental services, say), efficiency trumps people feeling good about themselves or not getting offended.

garbon

I'm not even sure what is being discussed at this point. I don't think the busybody passenger was engaged in profiling. I agree there would be nothing to this story at all, if a security agent had seen the passenger writing to ISI men if in the security line.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

More racism. :(

Quote'Violent' air passenger wanted to do yoga, officials say
Katia Hetter-Profile-Image
By Katia Hetter, CNN
Updated 1814 GMT (0114 HKT) March 31, 2016

(CNN)A United Airlines passenger accused of becoming violently disruptive on a flight from Honolulu to Japan has been charged with interference with the performance of a flight crew.

United Airlines Flight 903 was about an hour and a half into a nearly nine-hour flight to Tokyo's Narita International Airport on Saturday when Hyongtae Pae, 72, refused to follow flight attendants' orders to stay seated, screamed at them in Korean and became violent, according to the criminal complaint and affidavit filed in federal court by the U.S. Attorney's Office on Monday.
Pae told FBI officials that he didn't want to sit while flight attendants served a meal, preferring to do yoga and meditate. He said he had not slept in 11 days.
Pae, who was seen pushing his wife several times, was invited to the aircraft's aft galley to calm down and sat down in the middle of the galley, the complaint stated.
After Pae kept yelling and refused to return to his seat, other passengers -- including five U.S. Marines on the flight -- were asked to help put restraints on him and take him back to his seat.
Pae threatened to kill one of the people placing him in restraints, according to two unnamed Marines interviewed in the affidavit; he also tried to head-butt and bite one of the Marines.
Both Pae and his wife told the FBI, who conducted the interview in Korean with an agency linguist, they knew that they needed to follow the directions of the flight crew but didn't know that disobeying them was illegal.
A United Airlines spokeswoman confirmed that the flight returned to Honolulu due to a disruptive passenger and was met by law enforcement but referred all other questions to local authorities.

The Brain

11 days is nothing. My neighbors have a great sex life.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

garbon

Josquius

Sounds fair. I think the problem is the word racism is so inherently associated with negative racism.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on April 04, 2016, 11:00:06 AM
Sounds fair. I think the problem is the word racism is so inherently associated with negative racism.

Positive racism?