Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

It will be a secret ballot. Corban loyalists are despondent. Tom Watson, a renowned fixer has stitched it up (hence the breakdown of talks with the unions). Thank God for grey men in smoke filled rooms.

Now it'll be for Corbyn to decide I'd he wants to take this to the courts.

Wonder if waiting til 2020 still appeals to Theresa....
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2016, 10:58:10 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 12, 2016, 07:02:42 AM
How French of you.  :P  :frog:
/insert joke about Yank inability to distinguish French Canadians/Québécois from French people

I have no such inability :angry:

Aren't you a Texan anyways?  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 11, 2016, 10:46:54 PM
That "one nation conservatism" in May's speech was interesting. Though it was also reminiscent of Thatcher when she became PM (with quotes from St Francis no less  :P ). Whether she can do anything about it is another thing but at least she seems aware of the problem.
Her closest aide was (forced out in the argument with Gove over Islamism in schools) is a huge fan of Joseph Chamberlain. I imagine giving her launch speech in Birmingham wasn't coincidental.

Interesting how much of that was suggested by Miliband, and as with him how German it all is. I always think Miliband would probably have got his message across better if he just said 'I think we should be a bit more like Germany' rather than having a seminar every week on a new concept: pre-distribution, squeezed middle, predator capitalism, one nation Labour etc :(

Edit: Also see her 2013 conference speech:
http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/07/full-text-of-theresa-mays-speech-we-will-win-by-being-the-party-for-all.html
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2016, 11:34:30 AM
It will be a secret ballot. Corban loyalists are despondent. Tom Watson, a renowned fixer has stitched it up (hence the breakdown of talks with the unions). Thank God for grey men in smoke filled rooms.

Totally wrong :o

Corbyn on ballot automatically, majority of four. Oh dear :weep:

Edit: Matthew Parris and Michael Dobbs very happy with the decision because it will 'break the Labour Party'. I think they're right :blink: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2016, 01:50:13 PM
Her closest aide was (forced out in the argument with Gove over Islamism in schools) is a huge fan of Joseph Chamberlain.

Better than being a huge fan of Neville Chamberlain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2016, 01:56:09 PM

Edit: Matthew Parris and Michael Dobbs very happy with the decision because it will 'break the Labour Party'. I think they're right :blink: :weep:

So this matters because Corbyn likely couldn't even get 51 of his MPs / MEPs to back his leadership?  Out of 232 MPs and 20 MEPs?  That's asking for less than a quarter of the caucus.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

again, why isn't corbyn behind bars for treason?

mongers

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 12, 2016, 03:00:31 PM
again, why isn't corbyn behind bars for treason?

Because people who understand democracy, recognise it's tolerance of dissent marks it out from tyranny.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2016, 02:53:41 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2016, 01:56:09 PM

So this matters because Corbyn likely couldn't even get 51 of his MPs / MEPs to back his leadership?  Out of 232 MPs and 20 MEPs?  That's asking for less than a quarter of the caucus.

Yes. He wants to stay leader when he estimates less than 20% of his government support him...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2016, 02:53:41 PM
Yep. He only got on the ballot because of the rest of the PLP deciding it would be 'good for the debate' to have a sacrificial left-wing candidate :bleeding:

Best guesses are that he'd get about 40 nominations. So it was really a vote about excluding him from the race entirely.

He'll almost certainly win and I really think the Labour Party might split now.

Edit: Incidentally Labour is astonishing in this regard. They've managed to make the worst of every situation. Take today for example. There was enough manoeuvring to enrage/mobilise the Left who will join the party to try and keep Corbyn, but without the actual end result of keeping him off the ballot :bleeding:

Key questions yet to be decided (I believe) is who gets to vote - ie. membership to which point - and what to do about the £3 members as I believe the actual cost of processing them last year was higher than their fees :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

QuoteHe'll almost certainly win

He will?  :blink:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2016, 03:11:52 PM
QuoteHe'll almost certainly win

He will?  :blink:
Almost certainly. There is a very small chance that the rest of Labour can recruit enough members to stop it from happening, but Labour membership has been growing at a pace of 10k a day since the leadership challenge talk started.

Meanwhile, despite Brexit, crash in sterling, a lame duck Prime Minister, Andrea Leadsom as potential leader the Tories are still 8 points ahead of Labour and improving their lead :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I just do not understand my ancestral homeland sometimes.

Sheilbh

An example of how fucked the Labour Party is, the entire constituency Labour Party of Manchester Gorton in (Sir Gerald Kaufman's seat) has been suspended following allegations of voting irregularities, bullying, threats being made between different members of different factions.

The police are also investigating some of the threats. An entire local branch of the Labour Party :blink:

When I went to my local party everyone is generally very polite - there's a few dicks on both sides - but most people are sort-of signalling what they actually mean because they don't want to kick off a massive blazing row :(

Edit: One NEC member apparently, according to Conor Pope of LabourList, said they want a split 'so we can get rid of the Blairites'.

Meanwhile I'm seeing Tory MPs rushing to Twitter to say that no-one should be celebrating Labour's problems because it's not good for Parliament or the country - I think they're being sincere too. That's how bad things are :bleeding: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!