Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

I see Leadsom apologised finally for her motherhood comments saying she was flustered. Her being flustered as the reasoning for making the comments as well as attacking the journalist afterwards. Bodes well for her decision making skills under crisis.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Tyr has supports a couple of eccentrically unpopular ideas: AV,  regional assemblies.

I half suspect he's John Prescott in disguise.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2016, 02:43:30 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 11, 2016, 02:26:19 AM
What's your problem with a hypothetical English parliament, Tyr?

My guess is that it would make London power vs the rest of England even more unbalanced without Wales, NI, and Scotland.

Well, when you have a city with more population than several small countries put together that's bound to happen one way or the other.

Richard Hakluyt

There are other problems, the travel time map is very different to the geographical map. I'm going home to the NE for a few days later this week. It is 93 miles as the crow flies and it takes 4 hours to get there. If I was going to London it is 190 miles and only takes 2 hours.

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 11, 2016, 03:54:42 AM
There are other problems, the travel time map is very different to the geographical map. I'm going home to the NE for a few days later this week. It is 93 miles as the crow flies and it takes 4 hours to get there. If I was going to London it is 190 miles and only takes 2 hours.

But that's just the general thing about large cities, no? It is always the case with better infrastructure for routes more heavily traveled.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

For sure, but any regional rebalancing of the economy will only benefit certain regional centres. I can see the places on main rail and road routes doing well, but I can't see any way of really improving things in places like Burnley and Stanley.

Hamilcar

"Federalized UK?"

Uh-huh.

1990s -- Yugoslavia
late 2010s -- British Isles

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 11, 2016, 05:10:42 AM
For sure, but any regional rebalancing of the economy will only benefit certain regional centres. I can see the places on main rail and road routes doing well, but I can't see any way of really improving things in places like Burnley and Stanley.

I don't see how that would happen simply by decentralizing control. I guess infrastructure in low-pop/poorer states in the US is better because they at least have some degree of state control but for outlying areas in each state, it is still much worse than what the main routes/population centres get.

Richard Hakluyt

Looks like Leadsom is going to pull out of the race :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36763208

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 11, 2016, 05:44:09 AM
Looks like Leadsom is going to pull out of the race :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36763208

Confirmed.

Good news I think, the power vacuum will be over shortly.

Hamilcar

Leadsom quit because "people were mean to her". Let that sink in. Someone with a mostly-made up CV and the thin skin of an internet warrior was within striking distance of running a major nation.

frunk

Welcome to Trump Country.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 11, 2016, 06:34:26 AM
Leadsom quit because "people were mean to her". Let that sink in. Someone with a mostly-made up CV and the thin skin of an internet warrior was within striking distance of running a major nation.
Because of the abuse. Which she received after saying she had more of a stake in the country's future because, unlike her opponent, she has children :x
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Also the Tories are grimly efficient of this. All done in just under three weeks and the worst options avoided (Cameron trying to carry on, Osborne, Boris/Leadsom, Gove).

Quite a big fan of May's leadership strategy of not doing much while all her opponents douse themselves in petrol and self-immolate.
Let's bomb Russia!

Hamilcar

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 11, 2016, 06:38:30 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on July 11, 2016, 06:34:26 AM
Because of the abuse. Which she received after saying she had more of a stake in the country's future because, unlike her opponent, she has children :x
She really should have quit to "spend more time with her family."