Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

celedhring

"Self-governing city-regions"?  :huh:

I can see the case for "London DC", but that's about it.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on July 10, 2016, 04:17:13 PM
"Self-governing city-regions"?  :huh:

I can see the case for "London DC", but that's about it.

Maybe Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool could be candidates for that, but yes, London is the obvious outlier.

Sheilbh

Lots of our cities are being offered far more powers (and money) by the government in exchange for moving to a mayoral system. So Bristol, Liverpool and Manchester at least. Liverpool and Manchester have seen very senior Labour MPs wanting to step down to run as mayor, in part I imagine because of how poisonous Labour is in the Commons right now.

I think most of these cities mayors will, weirdly, have more power than London's mayor.

Arguably it's a bit of a cycle. We used to have very powerful cities and councils where a lot of great politicians made their name (the Chamberlain family, Attlee, Morrison). Then their powers were eroded/destroyed by Thatcher who was a very strong centraliser now we're devolving back.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Moving to a mayoral system? What's the current one?

Sheilbh

Council. Ken Livingstone is the first mayor I think we've ever had except for ceremonial Lord Mayors. The council leader is like the PM whoever can get the support of his colleagues but has no direct mandate.

Also in many areas there'll be several councils (London, Manchester, Birmingham). Lately they've started to work together more and develop common plans (Manchester's a great example). But normally the planned mayor would be over several boroughs/councils (like London).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 10, 2016, 04:30:54 PM
Council. Ken Livingstone is the first mayor I think we've ever had except for ceremonial Lord Mayors. The council leader is like the PM whoever can get the support of his colleagues but has no direct mandate.

Also in many areas there'll be several councils (London, Manchester, Birmingham). Lately they've started to work together more and develop common plans (Manchester's a great example). But normally the planned mayor would be over several boroughs/councils (like London).

So the move is from electing councilmen to directly electing a mayor? Over here we have both, don't see how they're not compatible.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on July 10, 2016, 04:41:08 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 10, 2016, 04:30:54 PM

So the move is from electing councilmen to directly electing a mayor? Over here we have both, don't see how they're not compatible.
It'll still be both. But a directly elected mayor/city executive rather than the executive being whichever council group can get a majority.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

The front-runner to be new UKIP leader would be the first non-white leader of a reasonably big party. Add that to a second female PM and in Scotland three female (and four LGBT) party leaders and it is a weird sort-of positive about modern Britain?
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Too many chick leaders. They will be your doom.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fromtia

Well a welcome side effect of devolving power to cities and regions would be to provide a better development of national politicians in governance. The current system of newspaper columnists and inveterate liars becoming leaders on the national political stage seems to be going awry.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: fromtia on July 10, 2016, 11:16:56 PM
Well a welcome side effect of devolving power to cities and regions would be to provide a better development of national politicians in governance. The current system of newspaper columnists and inveterate liars becoming leaders on the national political stage seems to be going awry.

I agree, the emasculation of local government has removed a good training zone for politicians and reduced their variety.

Josquius

QuoteTwo key questions remain unresolved, on which the Salisbury group offers alternatives. The government of England would either involve a directly elected English parliament or a continuation of the current evolution towards self-governing English city-regions. There is no proposal for the creation of English regions. 

Idiotic.
That being saI'd though the north east city Region,  if it ever gets anywhere, includes all but teesside.
Start with that and then in time bring the smoggies into the fold and extend our love to Cumberland
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Cumberland will always be part of the Greater Lancashire Co-Prosperity Sphere  :cool:

The Larch

What's your problem with a hypothetical English parliament, Tyr?

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on July 11, 2016, 02:26:19 AM
What's your problem with a hypothetical English parliament, Tyr?

My guess is that it would make London power vs the rest of England even more unbalanced without Wales, NI, and Scotland.