Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Monoriu

I don't think it is about Greece any more.  They are a goner.  What Europe needs is to scare the rest of the Pigs into sticking with austerity and responsible fiscal policies. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2016, 04:49:47 PM
Sheilbh, I'm sorry because I appreciate you, but I can't make heads or tails about your position anymore. I don't know if it's because I'm tired and it's late or because your posts and the articles you quote are really really long and complicated, but I just don't get it. You seem to be doing an awful lot of rationalizing about what has been (or at least what seems to have been) basically a knee jerk reaction against inmigration and other assorted nebulous "others". You seem to want things to happen that are in direct contradiction with the referendum results, but still seem eager about it.

He's always been that way, supporting politicians who are at odds with the policies he supports. I don't see why the referendum would be different.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

These people are trying to track the race hate crimes and get people mobilised against them :

http://www.istreetwatch.co.uk/

Berkut

[Shelf]
I certainly voted against race hate crimes, but you have to admire their passion and will to make a difference!
[/shelf]
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 06, 2016, 09:01:36 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2016, 04:49:47 PM
Sheilbh, I'm sorry because I appreciate you, but I can't make heads or tails about your position anymore. I don't know if it's because I'm tired and it's late or because your posts and the articles you quote are really really long and complicated, but I just don't get it. You seem to be doing an awful lot of rationalizing about what has been (or at least what seems to have been) basically a knee jerk reaction against inmigration and other assorted nebulous "others". You seem to want things to happen that are in direct contradiction with the referendum results, but still seem eager about it.

He's always been that way, supporting politicians who are at odds with the policies he supports. I don't see why the referendum would be different.

It is due to a highly romantic view of two of the most toxic aspects of politics: populism, and the plebs' drive by negative emotions :P

Sheilbh

I just hate snobbishness and think populism is a symptom not a cause. It's easier and more comforting to blame stupid voters and hood-winking politicians. I think there's normally material and cultural factors that drive it and should be addressed, the earlier the better - I think I see Huck references above, I don't think we'd have Trump if the GOP nominated him in 2008. Instead they've got a white, working class base and they've nominated two millionaires with Reaganite economic policies preserved in aspic from 1986 and it's a shock they've now nominated a nihilistic populist?

Some economic data not looking so bad, manufacturing output fell but far less than predicted and house prices still increased, but more slowly, also not entirely expected.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 07, 2016, 01:14:34 AM
These people are trying to track the race hate crimes and get people mobilised against them :

Nothing reported in Preston yet. :)

Tamas

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 07, 2016, 04:09:04 AM

Looks to be mostly incidents based on skin colour. Sounds like dormant racism awakening together with a more defined English nationalism :P

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 07, 2016, 03:51:00 AM
I just hate snobbishness and think populism is a symptom not a cause. It's easier and more comforting to blame stupid voters and hood-winking politicians. I think there's normally material and cultural factors that drive it and should be addressed, the earlier the better - I think I see Huck references above, I don't think we'd have Trump if the GOP nominated him in 2008. Instead they've got a white, working class base and they've nominated two millionaires with Reaganite economic policies preserved in aspic from 1986 and it's a shock they've now nominated a nihilistic populist?

As I said though snobbishness is unlikely to decrease. Instead there's likely to be a sharp increase in it as now the snobs have been affected by those they sneer at.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on July 07, 2016, 04:46:49 AM

Looks to be mostly incidents based on skin colour. Sounds like dormant racism awakening together with a more defined English nationalism :P

More defined but not more refined from what I can gather from this side of the Channel.  :smarty:

Tamas

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 07, 2016, 04:50:57 AM

More defined but not more refined from what I can gather from this side of the Channel.  :smarty:

It's a reference to Shelf's theories about Brexit leading to both a more pronounced English (as opposed to British) nationalism and consequently a rise in national/ethnic tolerance. :P

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 07, 2016, 04:50:57 AM

Most incidents seem to be the usual suspects, lads from the under-class. They'd be insulting gays or doing a spot of petty thieving if they were not doing this.

Cold comfort for their victims but it looks like disorganised general nastiness to me; not nice, but far preferable to any organised hate.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 07, 2016, 05:08:34 AM
Most incidents seem to be the usual suspects, lads from the under-class.

Stop the snobbishness :P

garbon

Awesome.

https://next.ft.com/content/113a9f50-5706-3624-aeaf-76f657cb8557

QuoteLeadsom dismisses Brexit impact on sterling

Andrea Leadsom, a contender to lead the Tory party and, therefore, the country, has dismissed suggestions that the Brexit vote has been a "disaster" for sterling, and instead attributed its fall to markets calling the result wrongly.

QuoteAlready, we can see that the forecasts of a disaster for sterling, for equities and for interest rates have not been proven correct.
The pound is weaker, partly as a result of markets being wrong on the results of the referendum and partly on the expectations of further interest-rate easing. But lower sterling is good for exports and it makes inward investment more attractive. It means we may import less and buy more at home. These are all good things for our economy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Ms Leadsom seems to struggle with basic logic.