Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on July 05, 2016, 04:45:43 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 05, 2016, 03:52:53 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 05, 2016, 03:48:16 AM
The pound has dropped quite dramatically today.
Any idea why?

This maybe?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/04/standard-life-shuts-property-fund-post-brexit-withdrawals

As long as the shape of bananas is not regulated by some unelected officials in Brussels, it all will have worth it!

I think the real reason, or at least enough to swing the referendum result, is here :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36653594

"The upward trend in the number of ethnic minority pupils has continued - with 31.4% of primary pupils defined as being from ethnic minorities, up from 30.4% last year."

Sheilbh

Any idea why?
Construction PMI and Standard Life. Surveys of business looking varying degrees of ropey too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 05, 2016, 05:06:23 AM
Any idea why?
Construction PMI and Standard Life. Surveys of business looking varying degrees of ropey too.

But all the coloured people will be sent home now so it will all have been worth it!

Josquius

I wonder if there's any data for the percentage of a areas population born elsewhere in the country.
I am becoming increasingly annoyed at all the talk of London being so special and great.
I theorise that if you send the people who voted in London back where they come from (excluding foreign born of course) then you'd see a lot more yellow dots around the country and more blue in London.

But then if they had been able to stay at home and not forced to move to London a lot of other people would have voted remain too
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on July 05, 2016, 05:53:49 AM
I wonder if there's any data for the percentage of a areas population born elsewhere in the country.
I am becoming increasingly annoyed at all the talk of London being so special and great.
I theorise that if you send the people who voted in London back where they come from (excluding foreign born of course) then you'd see a lot more yellow dots around the country and more blue in London.

But then if they had been able to stay at home and not forced to move to London a lot of other people would have voted remain too

Well, duh? Your values, views and priorities are not decided by your genetics.

When you are living in a shitty area and don't have the means (money, marketable skills, willingness) to escape, it is frustrating. And frustration must be aimed at something. Yesterday it's the EU, today it's migrants, tomorrow a particular group of migrants, then the next particular group, etc.

Sheilbh

It is always worth remembering 60% of British live within twenty miles of where they lived when they were 14.

I imagine most of the rest are in towns like London, Liverpool, Manchester, Edinburgh, Bristol etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Yes.
But the point is I wonder where remain voters actually come from. Not where they currently live  - which for over half the people with decent jobs is London.
The standard image of London vs the rest is misleading.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Lots will actually be from London especially in minority communities (black British vote 75% for remain, Asian British around 60%).

Aside from that I think Tamas is right. People move to areas where they are ideologically/values similar. It's happening in the US too. So a lot of the people moved to London for the same reasons they voted Remain, so I think there still was a strong London v the rest element. Though there was social pressure here. I've not met a Leave voter in the flesh yet...
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 05, 2016, 06:27:18 AM
Lots will actually be from London especially in minority communities (black British vote 75% for remain, Asian British around 60%).

Aside from that I think Tamas is right. People move to areas where they are ideologically/values similar. It's happening in the US too. So a lot of the people moved to London for the same reasons they voted Remain, so I think there still was a strong London v the rest element. Though there was social pressure here. I've not met a Leave voter in the flesh yet...

Heck, I moved to a different country because I could not stand the thought of being a quasi feudal serf to some east european oligarchs.

Sheilbh

On the economy with Carney talking, one positive is the financial reforms since 2008 seem to have held up. This is the first shock and there don't seem to be any doubts about the banks' fundamentals or liquidity. Which is good.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Iirc aren't  the predominantly Londoner areas very pro leave?  I seem to recall a place in Essex being one of the most leaver areas in the country.

I don't think people have that luxury to choose to live where they think is nice.
Most people I know living in London live there because that's where they found a job. No particular love for the place drew them there.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 05, 2016, 06:48:09 AM

Iirc aren't  the predominantly Londoner areas very pro leave?  I seem to recall a place in Essex being one of the most leaver areas in the country.

I don't think people have that luxury to choose to live where they think is nice.
Most people I know living in London live there because that's where they found a job. No particular love for the place drew them there.

I think you are talking out of your dislike of London.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

White working class Londoners, yeah. But that's not 'real Lonfon' anymore.

If not London, Bristol or Manchester etc. When me and my friends moved here partly it was because this is where we'd get work. But we didn't have jobs when we arrived (back when the dole was a little more relaxed) and half the reason we moved was because as a twenty-something there was nowhere we'd rather be. It was Bristol (where we studied), London, or rural England/suburbia (where we were from).

That's not for everyone and I don't think for everyone that's London. But it might well be another city like the ones I've mentioned which also voted remain.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Also Essex may be South East but it is worth remembering some of those sea side towns have some of the highest rates of unemployment, drug dependency etc in the country.

If you live in an area without a future a bunch of economists telling you Leave will lead to the end of the world is hardly going to sway you. You're already living that. The future is already somebody else's. Same with many Trump voters in that article above.
Let's bomb Russia!