Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 29, 2016, 01:12:14 PM
Leaving is leaving, Leave themselves admit they have no plan for leaving, and none was promised in the referendum. Norway status would 100% comply with the referendum.

Sure, or they could ask the EU to change it's name, maybe to the Pan European Union.  Then staying in would comply with the referendum as well.

OttoVonBismarck

If 52% of the voters have voted for "Leave, with no customs union, restricted migration and only a limited free trade agreement" I'd maybe see the point being made. But Leave did not propose any specific platform in terms of what "leave" actually meant. Other than "leaving the European Union."

Norway is not in the European Union.

Admiral Yi

Are you seriously proposing this lawyer's weasel, or are you just having a little fun?

OttoVonBismarck

:huh:

Have you been following this? Tons of mainstream people have been proposing a "Norway status." President Obama mentioned it yesterday when he said "if in a few years Britain has a relationship like Norway to the EU, it will not affect ordinary Americans in a meaningful way." It's the official position of the Economist and has been mentioned in several British and American newspapers.

The Leave campaign legitimately had no uniform, proposed concept of what Leave would mean, other than invoking Article 50 and leaving the European Union. Farage and Johnson for example don't have a unified set of views on this issue.

Admiral Yi

Barry and the Economist were both Bremain.  Has anyone associated with the winning side said Norway is the way to go?  It's wishful thinking.

Berkut

They should just have another referendum. See if people are serious about it knowing what they know now and didn't know then.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

QuoteBarry and the Economist were both Bremain.  Has anyone associated with the winning side said Norway is the way to go?  It's wishful thinking.

It would be a sublime combination of both criminally cynical and criminally stupid. So no way the UK would...well ok wait a second. Cameron pretty much already accomplished this combination. Maybe Otto is right after all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

There was one on NPR about an hour ago who was British MEP that supported Leave, and while he didn't outright say "Norway" status he supported essentially everything that would entail more or less. The U.S. interviewer asked him if that wouldn't go against what the Leave side wanted, and he said "actually both Leave and Remain were coalitions, so regardless of who won, some people on the winning side wouldn't get what they wanted."

Like I said, it only takes a small minority of "Leave" guys like that MEP and it means Norway status has 50%+1 status, which under the law of Sheilbh is the only standard for support.

Sheilbh

Yi: there were Leave people arguing to leave so we could get Norway status.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on June 29, 2016, 02:07:21 PM
They should just have another referendum. See if people are serious about it knowing what they know now and didn't know then.

Too inconclusive, I'd go with best of three. Mike Breen can call the recount with Tony Blair and the vengeful ghost of Maggie Thatcher doing color commentary.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 29, 2016, 02:14:10 PM

Why would they be in favor of a move that seems so directly opposed to Britain's national interests? Just so they don't have to see the EU flag on their passports or some shit?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

:wacko:  They really hated having a say in decisions?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2016, 02:15:25 PM

Why would they be in favor of a move that seems so directly opposed to Britain's national interests? Just so they don't have to see the EU flag on their passports or some shit?

You live in America, Texas last I heard, and you're boggled that voters are supporting something irrational and stupid?

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on June 29, 2016, 02:14:54 PM
Too inconclusive, I'd go with best of three. Mike Breen can call the recount with Tony Blair doing color commentary.

This issue is far too important to let it rest on a limited number of votes.  Have a 50+1 referendum every year to determine the current relationship with the EU.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 29, 2016, 02:16:48 PM
You live in America, Texas last I heard, and you're boggled that voters are supporting something irrational and stupid?

Now see here Otto I...well...ok you got me there.