Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: dps on June 25, 2016, 11:19:58 PM

If you become Prime Minister and don't trigger Article 50, ignoring the referendum, that's probably political suicide for you personally and a big blow to you party's election chances for years to come.

depends on what program you ran.

Richard Hakluyt

This is the sort of crisis that can kill some political parties and permit the rise of others.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 26, 2016, 03:56:12 AM
This is the sort of crisis that can kill some political parties and permit the rise of others.

Well, the SNP just became the governing party of independent Scotland.

Sheilbh

Yep. This is a revolution :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

The Brain

If Bregret truly is a thing then that's hilarious, in a very sad way.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Brain on June 26, 2016, 05:33:45 AM

Perhaps Cameron should have had the sense not to ask ignorant people for the answer to a complex issue. I can forgive the ignorant, it is the stupidity of large sections of the British elite that enrages me, they should have stuck to playing paradox games.

Richard Hakluyt

Josquius

That petition is up to 3 million.
And :lol:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/brexit-aftermath-millions-call-second-eu-referendum-far-right-activist-says-remain-hijacked-1567497

QuoteAs a record three million Britons and counting have signed a petition calling for a second referendum on Britain's membership of the EU, it has emerged that the man that created it was a far right pro-Brexit campaigner who feared that the Remain camp would win.

Brexit supporter William Oliver Healey, a candidate for the far-right English Democrats Party, told the Evening Standard of his anger that the petition - which will now have to be debated by Britain's parliament - had been "hijacked" by those angered by the decision of British voters to leave the EU.

More from IBTimes UK
Brexit aftermath: Jeremy Corbyn faces shadow cabinet resignations after Hilary Benn sacking
Brexit: Anyone who says democracy has not prevailed is arrogant
Angela Merkel: No need to be nasty in Brexit negotiations
"Due to the result, the petition has been hijacked by the Remain campaign. However, since I am associated with the petition and before the press further associate me with it I felt the need to better clarify my position on the issue even if it looks bad. I am its creator, nothing more," he said.

A House of Commons spokeswoman told the BBC the parliamentary website crashed temporarily on 24 June due to the high volume of people accessing the petition page.

She added that only 22 people had signed the petition at the time the referendum's result was announced.

Over 16 million people voted to remain in the EU in the 23 June referendum, but were defeated 52%-48% by Leave voters, with a turnout of 72.2%.

The result sent shock waves around the world and has raised concerns that the UK itself could break up, with both Scotland and Northern Ireland voting overwhelmingly to stay in the single market.

'Petition hijacked by Remain'

The second EU referendum petition is easily the most popular in the history of the parliamentary website and will be considered for debate by MPs for crossing the 100,000-signature threshold.

It simply states: "We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum."

However, while MPs are likely to debate the petition, they have no legal obligation to act on it.

Prime Minister David Cameron announced following the referendum result that he would step down from his role in October, saying that a new prime minister will invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty to formally begin the Brexit process.

He warned before the vote that there would be "no turning back" if the UK voted to leave the EU
██████
██████
██████

Grallon

If only we could do without the People...

I find it extremely alarming to see and read more and more people suggesting, without even blushing, to disregard the results of this vote. 

"Oh, a referendum isn't binding in the Westminster system."

If the Remain camp had won the day, the same hypocritical cunts would no doubt be loudly touting how final the decision was.

"They didn't know what they voted for!  How could they after all?  Most of them are mere working class, ill equipped to make such decisions."

As opposed to being lawyers, bankers and other parasites of the Euro system?  To which most of the media class adds its continuous patronizing droning about racism and xenophobia, just to hammer the nail in.  The contempt dripping from such platitudes is *precisely* one of the determining factors behind the Brexit victory.

And finally the Me-Me-Now generation blubbering on every platform how their future was stolen from them.  As if Europe was now forever closed to them. :rolleyes:

---

This is a warning to the EU: the peoples of Europe are tired of being considered as nothing but cogs, interchangeable with other cogs from Syria or Africa or wherever, in a system that exists solely to profit a small minority with no visibility or accountability.  A system that would gladly toss culture, values, traditions - all those intangibles that are difficult to quantify and put a price on - to the dumpster of History - for the sake of a quick return on investment. 

People are more than numbers.  It seems like a trite thing to say yet here it is, staring you in the face.  Many blame the older generations for Brexit, yet perhaps they voted the way they did because they remember what it is to be citizens rather than just cogs; something the younger ones, raised under a regimen of perpetual self-indulgence and communautarist claptrap, don't even seem aware of.

Let the EU ignore this warning at its own peril.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 26, 2016, 05:41:31 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 26, 2016, 05:33:45 AM

Perhaps Cameron should have had the sense not to ask ignorant people for the answer to a complex issue. I can forgive the ignorant, it is the stupidity of large sections of the British elite that enrages me, they should have stuck to playing paradox games.

On the other hand it forces everyone (or at least a great many people) to deal with the scenario for real, instead as a hypothesis. That in itself might be good thing: on both sides of the channel.

The Brain

Josquius

Quote from: Grallon on June 26, 2016, 06:22:46 AM
If only we could do without the People...

I find it extremely alarming to see and read more and more people suggesting, without even blushing, to disregard the results of this vote. 

"Oh, a referendum isn't binding in the Westminster system."

If the Remain camp had won the day, the same hypocritical cunts would no doubt be loudly touting how final the decision was.

"They didn't know what they voted for!  How could they after all?  Most of them are mere working class, ill equipped to make such decisions."

As opposed to being lawyers, bankers and other parasites of the Euro system?  To which most of the media class adds its continuous patronizing droning about racism and xenophobia, just to hammer the nail in.  The contempt dripping from such platitudes is *precisely* one of the determining factors behind the Brexit victory.

And finally the Me-Me-Now generation blubbering on every platform how their future was stolen from them.  As if Europe was now forever closed to them. :rolleyes:

---

This is a warning to the EU: the peoples of Europe are tired of being considered as nothing but cogs, interchangeable with other cogs from Syria or Africa or wherever, in a system that exists solely to profit a small minority with no visibility or accountability.  A system that would gladly toss culture, values, traditions - all those intangibles that are difficult to quantify and put a price on - to the dumpster of History - for the sake of a quick return on investment. 

People are more than numbers.  It seems like a trite thing to say yet here it is, staring you in the face.  Many blame the older generations for Brexit, yet perhaps they voted the way they did because they remember what it is to be citizens rather than just cogs; something the younger ones, raised under a regimen of perpetual self-indulgence and communautarist claptrap, don't even seem aware of.

Let the EU ignore this warning at its own peril.

G.

No doubt that if leave had lost they'd be complaining too.
Though I doubt they've be complaining in the same way. Rather than admitting they lost and looking for a way around it their complaints would probably more conspiratorial and screaming about how the whole thing was a fix.

It must be remembered that this isn't just a loss of one side in a little vote. It is a potential disaster for the country. When national survival is at stake then it is perfectly accepted practice to bend democracy.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Will the UK redo other elections as well after this? Will they have a two out of three system? Three out of five?