Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Monoriu

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 12, 2016, 09:48:52 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 12, 2016, 09:38:05 AM
I don't care if I can vote or not.  I won't anyway.
What about if you could in the UK over this referendum?

It's getting narrow and the choices are a status quo in favour of a bureaucratic union, or potentially very high risk change :o

I'll vote remain for sure, if I vote (which I won't).  It is a complete no-brainer.  I strongly believe that staying makes the most long-term economic sense.  On a more personal level, I'd like to continue to use the "EU citizen" immigration counters at the airports next time I visit continental Europe. 

Sheilbh

But, assuming you could (I don't think you've been registered :P), would the EU referendum make you break your no-voting policy?
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 12, 2016, 09:53:41 AM
But, assuming you could (I don't think you've been registered :P), would the EU referendum make you break your no-voting policy?

I have never been registered to vote in any election, be they UK or HK ones.  I assume I am not qualified to register as I don't have a UK address and I have never really lived in the UK.  Staying in a hotel in London doesn't count, I suppose.  But I won't register even if I am qualified.  Even though I have a very strong opinion on Brexit (it is nuts), my even stronger conviction is that I as an individual should not interfere in the affairs of the organisation. 

Sheilbh

Leave lead 53-47 in latest phone polls. As in Scotland, a worried nation turns their eyes to Gordon Brown :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Gups

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 13, 2016, 12:12:09 PM
Donald Tusk turns it up to 11 :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36515680

A Pole being outrageously hyperbolic? Doesn't chime with my experience.

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2016, 12:08:28 PM
Leave lead 53-47 in latest phone polls. As in Scotland, a worried nation turns their eyes to Gordon Brown :wub:
Oh well, we had a good run. Farewell.

Sheilbh

For all the stick he gets, I can't think of a really major issue in my lifetime Brown's got wrong :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2016, 12:30:48 PM
For all the stick he gets, I can't think of a really major issue in my lifetime Brown's got wrong :(

PPP for the tube
Selling gold reserves at the bottom of the market

Richard Hakluyt

He also started borrowing during the boom.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

DOOOOOM

Goddamnit UK
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2016, 12:30:48 PM

I think he was the best PM in my memory (which started with John Major). Never really got why everyone seemed to hate him. His timing was bad I guess.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2016, 04:00:47 PM

DOOOOOM

Goddamnit UK

Based on historical referenda Leave probably need at least a 10 point leave margin going into the final week to win as they are not the status quo option.

Moreover, the polls don't generally measure the voting intentions of Northern Ireland and the expatriates - that should account for at least a 3% swing in favour of remain judging by what we do know of their likely vote. That suggests leave need a 12-15% lead going in to the final week.

I don't think you need to start shouting DOOOOM yet (not that I agree with you on the DOOOOOM part anyway, of course. :P)

However, I think it's looking increasingly likely that the result will be close, less than a couple of percentage points in it. That, as I've said before, would in many ways be the worst of all possible worlds for Britain's political scene.

And Tusk's hyperbole can't possibly be helping remain; it comes across as either a threat, hyperbole or lunacy, none of which are likely to inspire people to support your position.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on June 13, 2016, 04:47:20 PM
I think he was the best PM in my memory (which started with John Major). Never really got why everyone seemed to hate him. His timing was bad I guess.

Pretty sure Brown was never PM.  Just Coat Checker under Blair.