Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Agelastus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 13, 2016, 04:47:20 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2016, 12:30:48 PM
For all the stick he gets, I can't think of a really major issue in my lifetime Brown's got wrong :(

I think he was the best PM in my memory (which started with John Major). Never really got why everyone seemed to hate him. His timing was bad I guess.

He was the worst Chancellor we've had since Churchill (who took us back on to the gold standard in the face of, admittedly divided, expert advice.) He was no better as prime-minister.

What about him rates him as the "best PM in memory" for you?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Richard Hakluyt

His famous sense of humour I expect  :yes:

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2016, 05:00:23 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 13, 2016, 04:47:20 PM
I think he was the best PM in my memory (which started with John Major). Never really got why everyone seemed to hate him. His timing was bad I guess.

Pretty sure Brown was never PM.  Just Coat Checker under Blair.

:hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Agelastus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 13, 2016, 05:05:22 PM

"I saved the world"? :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Richard Hakluyt

The Brain

That big-titted woman. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Brain on June 13, 2016, 05:11:38 PM
That big-titted woman. :rolleyes:

:D

I'm going to miss talking to foreigners after Brexit has taken place and civilisation has collapsed.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on June 13, 2016, 05:10:39 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 13, 2016, 05:05:22 PM

"I saved the world"? :hmm:
Genuinely, he did :mellow:

Edit: The UK Sun is out for Leave!
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

So Cameron/Osbourne taking back seats, is an admission they're gonna have to reply on Labour saving them from a Tory palace coup.  :hmm:

alfred russel

I think my favorite Brown moment was at the critical moment of the election campaign (which he lost). He is out on one of those dreadful "meet the common folk" events, and a lady begins droning on and on about how there are so many eastern europeans around. Brown does a great job of talking to her and apparently has her convinced to vote labour.

Then in the car driving off after the event, with the microphone still on, he starts complaining about what a bigoted woman she was.

But it got better...To try to smooth things over after the world heard what he said, his people rush him to a radio studio to give his side of the story. He apparently hadn't heard the tape before he went on, and as the radio guy played it for him, he also seemed to have no idea the studio was being filmed, because he had a great, "oh fuck I think I just lost the election" reaction.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

My favourite moment was when he launched Labour's election campaign while behind him there was an actual car crash.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

If Leave wins does that mean Cameron is out/lunatics take over asylum?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 13, 2016, 06:33:23 PM
If Leave wins does that mean Cameron is out/lunatics take over asylum?

As a matter of practical politics, it's a given.

Cameron believes he'll stay to negotiate the UK's exit, but the Tory leavers would be in the ascendency and have him out with days, also the pro-Europe Tories would ask him to leave to save the party.

So I'd expect to see Cameron going to Buck Pal by the end of the weekend, surviving a fortnight afterwards or even a week would be unlikely.

Sheilbh

I don't think he really believes it, even Ken Clarke says he's a goner.

But a majority of MPs are remainers. As Bogdanor said if we vote to leave there's a new, third chamber: the people. And I've no idea what the consequences will be constitutionally. A majority of MPs implementing some forms of policy they profoundly disagree with....
Let's bomb Russia!