Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I wonder how much longer I'll be seeing that Hamas bastard saluting something as the first thing when I open the Guardian.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2024, 02:15:07 AMA balance has to be struck on genocide? :huh:

The issue here though is genocide in PRC.

On one extreme is - do nothing.

On the other extreme - invade China, overthrow the government, stop the genocide.

I think everyone would agree that instead the West needs to find some middle ground.  A "balance" if you will.

Of course what I fear we are doing is pretty darn close to "nothing".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on October 15, 2024, 03:15:32 AMTo an extent.
It is important not to fall into the trap of just cutting red tape and calling it a day. You do need to set up new regulation to replace the old- rather than saying you need a 500 page binder on local bat's mating habits say you need a one pager (not how things actually work, but just for example).
Rather than shooting for heaven or accepting hell, put in place the bare minimum that does 70% of the perfect one with a few hours of work.

This is where Labour being the ones to do this is promising whilst the Tories doing it would be frightening.

This is just so on-brand for you it's amazing. :hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2024, 10:18:39 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 15, 2024, 03:15:32 AMTo an extent.
It is important not to fall into the trap of just cutting red tape and calling it a day. You do need to set up new regulation to replace the old- rather than saying you need a 500 page binder on local bat's mating habits say you need a one pager (not how things actually work, but just for example).
Rather than shooting for heaven or accepting hell, put in place the bare minimum that does 70% of the perfect one with a few hours of work.

This is where Labour being the ones to do this is promising whilst the Tories doing it would be frightening.

This is just so on-brand for you it's amazing. :hug:

Never heard "only Nixon could go to China?"

A party with an ideological hard on for cutting the state is a lot less trustworthy when it comes to bureaucratic reform than one which doesn't have this baggage and broadly supports the public sector.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2024, 10:17:15 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2024, 02:15:07 AMA balance has to be struck on genocide? :huh:

On the other extreme - invade China, overthrow the government, stop the genocide.

I think everyone would agree that instead the West needs to find some middle ground.  A "balance" if you will.

I think the first extreme is do nothing and kiss China's ass instead which seems to be what Sheilbh described.

I don't think any sane person has invade China on the board. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2024, 10:33:36 AM

I think the first extreme is do nothing and kiss China's ass instead which seems to be what Sheilbh described.

That's where finding a balance comes in.
It's not a case of either
1: China is so utterly reprehensible we have to invade them right now.
2: China is perfect and fine and we won't hear a bad word about them. We will do whatever they say.

We need to try and find that middle ground where we can get away with pushing them just far enough but at the same time not completely trashing trade with China whilst at the same time trying to wean ourselves off it, hopefully in collaboration with the rest of the west.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

How can we? We are a morally corrupt capitalist society. They know that after the usual berating about human rights, the West is ready to make a deal.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on Today at 03:00:02 PMHow can we? We are a morally corrupt capitalist society. They know that after the usual berating about human rights, the West is ready to make a deal.

I suppose that depends on how much of an optimist you are.
I'd like to hope that the stars might align and give us western governments that are a mix of people with morals in some countries and nationalist scum who hate China for other reasons elsewhere.
Then there are fairly logical reasons for anyone to disengage a little. Alas much like the lessons of 2008 the lessons of covid seem set to be soon forgotten.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 02:05:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2024, 10:33:36 AM

That's where finding a balance comes in.
It's not a case of either
1: China is so utterly reprehensible we have to invade them right now.
2: China is perfect and fine and we won't hear a bad word about them. We will do whatever they say.

We need to try and find that middle ground where we can get away with pushing them just far enough but at the same time not completely trashing trade with China whilst at the same time trying to wean ourselves off it, hopefully in collaboration with the rest of the west.

Because neither needs to be an option and Britain is basically at 2.